Francesca M.S. Guerrero
Francesca is a partner in the firm’s International Trade practice group. She regularly counsels clients on compliance with export controls, sanctions, import regulations, and the FCPA and anti-bribery laws. She works closely with companies to develop tailored compliance programs that fit their specific needs. She regularly advises clients on some of their most challenging international transactions, involving dealings in high risk jurisdictions or with high risk counterparties. Francesca also counsels companies through all phases of internal investigation of potential trade and anti-bribery violations, and represents companies across industries before related government agencies.
Francesca also has extensive experience counseling clients on national security issues relevant to foreign investment in the United States. She has represented investors and U.S businesses before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States from diverse sectors including energy generation and transmission, pharmaceutical development, heavy manufacturing, defense and aerospace, telecommunications, and software technology.
- Conducted an export control compliance of an audit of a Chinese company as mandated under a settlement agreement with the U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Prepared OFAC license applications for an education services company to conduct business related to Sudan, Iran and Syria.
- Represented a U.S. importer in a prior disclosure of violations of customs regulations with respect to five years of imports from China and other Asian countries.
- Prepared BIS license applications for various technology, manufacturing, and service providers seeking to export items subject to the EAR to companies on the Entity List.
- Represented a U.S. defense and aerospace company in the voluntary disclosure of violations of the ITAR to the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.
- Represented a foreign government-owned energy company in multiple CFIUS notices regarding the sale of interests in wind energy projects, including the sale to another foreign government-owned investor.
- Represented a Chinese company in the acquisition of a U.S. pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a U.S. manufacturer and global distributor in the development of comprehensive anti-bribery policies and procedures.
- Represented a global leader in solar, wind and battery technology in the acquisition of the world leader in modeling and optimization software for microgrids.
- “Commerce Issues Interim Final Rule Addressing Foreign-Produced Direct Products and Specifically Targets Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, May 2020
- “Recent Executive Actions Focus on Bulk-Power System Grid Security and Supply Chain,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, May 2020
- “GSA Class D&F Provides TAA and BAA Non-Availability Exception for Certain Supplies,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- "Petitions by Vehicle Producers for Alternative Staging Regime for Compliance with USMCA Rules of Origin for Automotive Goods Due to USTR by July 1," Thompson Hine International Trade Update, April 2020
- “OFAC Issues Fact Sheet on Providing Humanitarian Aid to Combat COVID-19 Under Various Sanctions Programs,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- Quoted, “Thompson Hine Nabs Winston & Strawn Int'l Trade Atty In DC,” Law360, April 2020
- “Government Measures Worldwide in Response to COVID-19,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- "FEMA Announces Export Restrictions on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)," Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- Quoted, “Pandemic Puts National Security Focus on Biotech, Health Sectors,” Bloomberg Law, April 2020
- “COVID-19 and International Trade: Status of Trade-Related U.S. Government Agencies & Courts and Helpful Online Resources,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Treasury Proposes Regulations to Institute CFIUS Filing Fees; Comments Due April 8,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, March 2020
- Arlington Country Board Commission on Neighborhood Complete Streets, Vice Chair
April 02, 2020
Thompson Hine Continues Washington Office Growth - Francesca Guerrero Joins Thompson Hine’s International Trade Practice
March 30, 2020