Francesca M.S. Guerrero
Francesca is a partner in the firm’s International Trade practice group. She regularly counsels clients on compliance with export controls, sanctions, import regulations, and the FCPA and anti-bribery laws. She works closely with companies to develop tailored compliance programs that fit their specific needs. She regularly advises clients on some of their most challenging international transactions, involving dealings in high risk jurisdictions or with high risk counterparties. Francesca also counsels companies through all phases of internal investigation of potential trade and anti-bribery violations, and represents companies across industries before related government agencies.
Francesca also has extensive experience counseling clients on national security issues relevant to foreign investment in the United States. She has represented investors and U.S businesses before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States from diverse sectors including energy generation and transmission, pharmaceutical development, heavy manufacturing, defense and aerospace, telecommunications, and software technology.
- Conducted an export control compliance of an audit of a Chinese company as mandated under a settlement agreement with the U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Prepared OFAC license applications for an education services company to conduct business related to Sudan, Iran and Syria.
- Represented a U.S. importer in a prior disclosure of violations of customs regulations with respect to five years of imports from China and other Asian countries.
- Prepared BIS license applications for various technology, manufacturing, and service providers seeking to export items subject to the EAR to companies on the Entity List.
- Represented a U.S. defense and aerospace company in the voluntary disclosure of violations of the ITAR to the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.
- Represented a foreign government-owned energy company in multiple CFIUS notices regarding the sale of interests in wind energy projects, including the sale to another foreign government-owned investor.
- Represented a Chinese company in the acquisition of a U.S. pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a U.S. manufacturer and global distributor in the development of comprehensive anti-bribery policies and procedures.
- Represented a global leader in solar, wind and battery technology in the acquisition of the world leader in modeling and optimization software for microgrids.
- Quoted,"Magnachip May Have Alternative Deal Partners Should Regulatory Approvals Prove Problematic," CTFN, June 2021
- "DDTC Proposes to Make Pandemic-Related Telework Rules Permanent," Thompson Hine International Trade Update, June 2021
- “BIS Eliminates Most Mass Market Encryption Reporting Obligations,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, April 2021
- “United States Implements Multiple Sanctions and Export Restrictions on Russia,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, March 2021
- “5 Ways To Address Heightened Forced Labor Compliance Risk”, Law360, January 2020
- “Executive Order on Investments in Communist Chinese Military Companies Amended,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, January 2021
- “CFIUS Reviews of Foreign Investment Continue to Evolve,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2021
- “OFAC Issues Guidance Regarding Ban on Transacting in Securities of ‘Communist Chinese Military Companies,’” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, January 2021
- "Encryption Exports – Annual Self-Classification Reports Due February 1, 2021," Thompson Hine International Trade Update, January 2021
- “Executive Order Prohibits U.S. Investment in ‘Communist Chinese Military Companies,’” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, November 2020
- “New CFIUS Critical Technology Mandatory Filing Requirements Take Effect October 15,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, October 2020
- "BIS Publishes Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to Identify and Review Controls on Foundational Technologies: What's Next?", Thompson Hine International Trade Update, September 2020
- “FAR Council Publishes Interim Rule on Section 889 Part B Increasing Prohibitions on Contracting with Companies Using Certain Chinese Telecommunications Equipment and Services,” Thompson Hine Government Contracts & International Trade Update, August 2020
- “President Trump Signs the Hong Kong Autonomy Act and Issues Executive Order on Hong Kong Normalization,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, July 2020
- “Departments of State, Commerce, Homeland Security and the Treasury Caution Businesses Regarding Human Rights Abuses in Xinjiang,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, July 2020
- “Section 889 Part B Expands Ban on Federal Contracting with Companies Using Chinese Company Equipment and Services,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Government Contracts Update, July 2020
- “Beyond NAFTA: USMCA Goes into Effect July 1,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, June 2020
- Co-author, “COVID-19 Mitigation May Trigger New Tech Export Restrictions,” Law360, June 2020
- “INSIGHT: Companies Must Prioritize Anti-Bribery Compliance During the Pandemic,” Bloomberg Law, May 2020
- “Commerce Issues Interim Final Rule Addressing Foreign-Produced Direct Products and Specifically Targets Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, May 2020
- “Recent Executive Actions Focus on Bulk-Power System Grid Security and Supply Chain,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, May 2020
- “GSA Class D&F Provides TAA and BAA Non-Availability Exception for Certain Supplies,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- "Petitions by Vehicle Producers for Alternative Staging Regime for Compliance with USMCA Rules of Origin for Automotive Goods Due to USTR by July 1," Thompson Hine International Trade Update, April 2020
- “OFAC Issues Fact Sheet on Providing Humanitarian Aid to Combat COVID-19 Under Various Sanctions Programs,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- Quoted, “Thompson Hine Nabs Winston & Strawn Int'l Trade Atty In DC,” Law360, April 2020
- “Government Measures Worldwide in Response to COVID-19,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- "FEMA Announces Export Restrictions on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)," Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- Quoted, “Pandemic Puts National Security Focus on Biotech, Health Sectors,” Bloomberg Law, April 2020
- “COVID-19 and International Trade: Status of Trade-Related U.S. Government Agencies & Courts and Helpful Online Resources,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Treasury Proposes Regulations to Institute CFIUS Filing Fees; Comments Due April 8,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, March 2020
- Arlington Country Board Commission on Neighborhood Complete Streets, Vice Chair
January 28, 2021
June 05, 2020
May 28, 2020
April 02, 2020
Thompson Hine Continues Washington Office Growth - Francesca Guerrero Joins Thompson Hine’s International Trade Practice
March 30, 2020
February 24, 2021
November 18, 2020
July 29, 2020
July 01, 2020