Our Thompson Hine team consists of experienced lawyers practicing in the following relevant areas: zoning & land use, real estate, construction, incentives & public finance, commercial finance, corporate, environmental, supply chain, logistics & transportation, tax, and international trade.
Our PMC team consists of experienced consultants in the following areas: financial consulting & incentives, insurance & risk management, project management, and owner’s representation.
We have foreign language capabilities in Chinese, Dutch, Farsi, French, German, Korean and Spanish, among others.
Identifying the right location for a project is a complex endeavor. With our broad range of experience, rigorous evaluation process and comprehensive service offerings tailored to clients’ needs, Thompson Hine and PMC help clients streamline, plan and execute successful site selection initiatives. Our services include:
- Objectives review (cost, timing, geography)
- Financial feasibility assessment
- Budget, cost and schedule review
- Labor & demographic analysis
- Identification of external consultant & partner needs
- Consultant & partner selection, including evaluation of RFQs & RFPs
- Relationship-building with government economic development officials
- Strategies for MBE, FBE & local workforce requirements
- Structuring approach and compliance
- Integrating union labor & contract requirements
- Community benefits agreements
Incentive & Capital Identification
- Public incentive opportunity analysis, including tax credits, grants, bonds, tax exemptions, TIF & district-based incentives
- Strategies to leverage private capital, including bank loans & EB-5 foreign investment capital
- Economic impact analysis
- Letters of intent
- Purchase agreements
- Development agreements
- Title insurance
Entitlements & Diligence
- Zoning & land use approvals
- Environmental permitting analysis
- Analysis of wetland & brownfield legal requirements
- Title & survey reviews
Incentive & Capital Closings
- Incentive applications
- Drafting of communications to government officials & legislators
- Incentive closings
- Loan applications
- Loan documentation & closings
Design & Construction
- Design & construction legal contracting
- Insurance & risk management consulting
- Dispute resolution services
- Partnering facilitation services
- Project delivery selection
- Project budgeting & scheduling
- Design & construction oversight
- Project cost to budget reconciliation
- Claim resolution & project closeout management
Access our full brochure here.
- In December 2020, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed Senate Bill 39 into law, which established the new Transformational Mixed-Use Development (TMUD) Tax Credit for mixed-use new construction and rehabilitation projects. Finance professionals from PMC assisted in drafting the initial legislation. The tax credits help catalyze large mixed-use projects statewide, generating significant tax benefits for Ohio’s communities. At the time this bill was passed, there were no major statewide grants or tax credit incentives for new construction projects.
- Between 2020 and 2022, PMC helped clients secure $6.1 million in Ohio Site Inventory Program grants for four projects across northern Ohio, including end-user and speculative projects in the manufacturing, cold food storage and logistics/distribution sectors.
- In Cleveland, PMC worked with the Flats East developer, legal and accounting advisors to enact Ohio’s first 60-year TIF.
- In 2019, Thompson Hine and PMC helped a Fortune 500 company successfully structure and close on an $83 million warehouse and distribution center with incentives valued at nearly $26 million.
- In 2019, PMC assisted a client in the aerospace sector with a multi-state site selection process for its new headquarters and main manufacturing facility, which included incentive negotiations in three states and closing on incentives with the finalist state. Total incentives secured included $4.8 million in grants and tax credits for the $12.9 million project. In 2020, PMC assisted the same client in securing more than $1 million in incentives for an expansion that allowed for additional job growth and output at the same facility via an out-of-state acquisition.
The following major projects represent the site selection and development experience of Thompson Hine and PMC. Additional information is available upon request.
- Provided project legal counsel, construction partnering facilitation, project management consulting, and risk management consulting for the development, engineering and construction of a $2.5 billion plant for a consortium of seven global companies.
- Served as development and finance counsel for the $350 million Lower.com MLS soccer stadium in Columbus, Ohio with a $400 million adjacent mixed-use project, including negotiating development agreements for grants and other funding from the State of Ohio, City of Columbus and Franklin County.
- Provided construction and real estate legal services, risk management consulting, project delivery counseling and construction partnering facilitation to a global aerospace manufacturer for a $1 billion manufacturing facility in North Carolina.
- Served as real estate, construction and incentives legal counsel for a Fortune 500 company in connection with the development of a 1.3 million-square-foot fulfillment and distribution center in central Ohio, including negotiating the site acquisition, development and design, and construction contracts; identifying and closing on state and local incentives; and negotiating and closing on financing.
- Provided construction and real estate legal services, risk management consulting and construction partnering facilitation to a multinational appliance and equipment manufacturer for a headquarters project
- Served as legal project counsel for various significant plant expansion and construction projects in the United States for a global company headquartered in the Netherlands.
- Served as real estate and construction legal counsel to a Fortune 200 company in connection with development of a global headquarters in Ohio, including drafting design and construction agreements and designing and implementing a risk management and insurance program.
- Served as legal project counsel and financial consultant on a $275 million project in Cleveland, including conceptualizing and implementing a project delivery system; designing and implementing a risk management and insurance program; negotiating all design and construction contracts; securing federal, state and local public financing; and negotiating private financing from 35 sources.
- Served as project and bond counsel to an international consortium-concessionaire in connection with Ohio’s first transportation P3 with the State of Ohio, the $500 million 26-mile Portsmouth Bypass.