- Leading numerous client relationships with global and U.S. public and private companies, including supervising the delivery of multi-disciplinary legal services.
- Advising a NYSE-listed national real estate company for over 20 years in connection with corporate governance and restructuring transactions and dozens of office building, shopping center, apartment and mixed-use developments.
- Providing project delivery and project management guidance to a multinational manufacturer for a 2.3 million-square-foot plant.
- Advising a NYSE-listed public company in connection with contribution of over 40 assets to an innovative joint venture real estate investing platform.
- Coordinating the delivery of site acquisition, development, partnering facilitation, construction and incentive legal services for large manufacturing and distribution facilities.
- Advising a NYSE-listed public company on more than 50 acquisition and disposition transactions involving more than 150 properties over nearly 20 years.
- Counseling global and national companies on real estate strategies and risk management best practices, including designing processes for the disposition of complex, environmentally contaminated assets.
- Advising clients on environmental, social and governance (ESG) initiatives.
- Representing a NYSE-listed S&P 400 U.S. retailer and a NASDAQ-listed S&P 500 U.S. retailer in connection with the development of 1 million sq. ft. distribution centers across the U.S.
- Serving as legal advisor to the Cleveland Innovation Project, a public-private partnership involving 150+ business, entrepreneurial, institutional and non-profit leaders working to create a technology-focused innovation hub/campus.
- Serving as legal advisor on community impact projects, such as the redevelopment of Cleveland’s Public Square, the $270 million Hilton Downtown convention center hotel and Shaker Heights’ Van Aken District.
- Coordinating and guiding the development of contract forms and playbooks for supply agreements, tolling agreements, servicing agreements, purchase agreements, letters of intent and leases.
- Counseling a NYSE-listed real estate company in the ground-up development of a community shopping center, including negotiating site development agreements with multiple national retailers and drafting development agreements with a municipality regarding tax increment financing.
- Representing a global manufacturing company in connection with the sale and separation of operating plants, including negotiating complex plant separation agreements and reciprocal easements.
- Advising a leading private multifamily housing developer on the creation of a real estate private equity fund.
- Representing an institutional lender in the sourcing of leasing and property management functions for more than 400 properties.
- Representing a NYSE-listed lodging REIT in the restructuring of a $400 million hotel lease portfolio.
- Counseling a NYSE-listed REIT in connection with the acquisition of numerous shopping centers involving CMBS loan and life company loan assumptions.
- Representing a leading global investment bank on commercial loans, including whole loans, mezzanine loans and bridge loans.
- Advising a Fortune 200 company on a sale-leaseback program covering numerous properties across the U.S.
- “CFIUS Determines it Has No Jurisdiction Over Proposed Chinese-Owned Real Estate in North Dakota,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Real Estate Update, December 2022
- “What Developers Must Know About New Ohio Brownfield Law,” Law360, August 2020
- “Personal View: In the next room,” Crain’s Cleveland Business, June 2020
- “New Ohio Law Provides Legal Protections to Brownfield Developers,” Thompson Hine Real Estate & Environmental Law Update, June 2020
- “Engaging the Community, Inspiring Change: The African-American Philanthropy Summit,” Kaleidoscope Magazine, 2014
- “Gallery Celebrates Anniversary with WPA Show,” The International Review of African American Art, 2001
- “A Museum Grows in Brooklyn,” The International Review of African American Art, 2001
- “Remaking the Past: The Storytelling Tradition in Contemporary Black Art,” The International Review of African American Art, Fall 2000
- “The Changing Market for Legal Employment: What Will Employers, Clients, and Society Want from Law Graduates,” Panel Discussion, Cleveland State University Cleveland-Marshall College of Law and The University of Akron School of Law, February 19, 2021
- “My Way or the Highway, or Meet Me Halfway Hotly Contested Letter of Intent and Purchase Agreement Issues” ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania Retail Development and Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, February 2020
- “Deal or No Deal: The Most Hotly Contested Provisions in PSA Negotiations,” ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, San Diego, CA, October 2019
- “Tips and Traps: Navigating Loan Assumptions in Today’s Choppy Waters,” ICSC OH,KY,IN,MI,PA Retail Development & Law Symposium, Columbus, March 2018
- “Picking Your Battles: Efficient And Effective Purchase And Sale Agreement Negotiations,” U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, San Antonio, TX, October 2017
- “Let’s Make a Deal! The Market for Shopping Center Sales and Sticking Points in Negotiations” ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, October 2015
- “Cleveland on the Rise: Public and Private Financing Tools for Development Projects,” Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, November 2014
- “Baskets, Floors and Ceilings, Are We Negotiating a Deal or Decorating a House?: Key Negotiating Points in Shopping Center Purchase Agreements,” ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, Orlando, October 2014
- “Going Once, Going Twice…Selling Real Estate at Auction,” ULI Cleveland, Cleveland, March 2013
- “Going Once, Going Twice…Sold – But What Did You Just Buy? Issues in Auctions and Distressed Asset Sales,” ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, Orlando, October 2013
- “Going Once, Going Twice…Auctions and “Loan-to-Own” Acquisition Strategies – Gambling or Smart Investing?”, ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania Retail Development and Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, March 2012
- “TechnologyforLawyers.com,” ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania Retail Development and Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, March 2011
- “Outparcels: Basics and Beyond,” ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, San Diego, January 2008
- “The In’s and Out’s of Outparcels,” ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, Orlando, October 2006
- “Minimizing Pain, Maximizing Gain: Selling Shopping Center Outlots and Excess Land,” ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan Retail Development and Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, April 2005
- “Basic Real Estate Transactions,” Professional Education Systems Institute, Cleveland, March 2005
- “Real Estate Lending Requirements and Loan Documentation in Ohio,” Lorman Education Services, Cleveland, September 2004
- “Leasing Basics – Pitfalls in Boilerplate,” ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan Retail Development and Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, March 2007
- Panelist, “The Growth of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) in Philanthropy: Are we setting investment standards as a driver for corporate giving? Are we considering the sustainability and social impact of our investments?” African American Philanthropy Summit sponsored by the Cleveland Foundation, April 30, 2022
- “4th Annual Next Generation of Women,” presented by The Sherwin-Williams Company, March 2021
- “A Conversation on Women and the Future of Leadership,” Cuyahoga Community College, March 2019
- “The Benefits of Non-Profit and For–Profit Board Service: How Can Service at Each Level Contribute to Your Professional Development?” Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity/Tau Boulé, Professional Development Series, September 2018
- “A Celebration of Women’s Leadership,” Flora Stone Mather Center for Woman at Case Western Reserve University, March 2018
- “Carry As You Climb,” Thompson Hine’s Spotlight on Women, March 2018
- “Carry As You Climb,” CBRE Cleveland and E&Y Cleveland – Professional Women’s Network Event, January 2018
- “Executive Speaker Series,” Friends of the Cleveland Public Library, September 2015
- “Women of Note,” The Sound of Ideas on Ideastream, July 2015
- “Leadership and The Next Generation,” Crain’s Women of Note Summit, July 2015
- “Women of Excellence,” Executive Caterers Corporate Club, March 2015
- Reflections on “Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg,” Women in Leadership Symposium, September 2013
- “Visiting Museums with Kids,” Warner Girls’ Leadership Academy, Cleveland, February 2013
- “Leading with Confidence,” Warner Girls’ Leadership Academy, Cleveland, January 2013
- “Tips for Success,” WMACCA Diversity Reception, Washington, DC, May 2012
- “Impactful Diversity Strategies,” Eaton Vehicle Group Global Diversity Conference, Cleveland, December 2011
- “Pipeline to Leadership,” 21st Century Leadership Forum, Cleveland, June 2010
- “The Next Big Thing, a New Vision for the Region,” Thompson Hine’s Spotlight on Women, Cleveland, May 2010
- “What Partners Can Do to Keep Minorities and Women in Their Law Firms,” CSU Third Annual Diversity Management Conference, Cleveland, May 2010
- “Embarking on a Diversity/Inclusion Initiative,” Invacare Diversity Council, Cleveland, April 2010
- “Managing Life, Work and Family … Dispelling the Myth of the Superwoman,” 8th Annual Women of Color Conference, University of Akron, April 2010
- “Work/Life Demands – Striking a Balance,” Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce/KNOW Meeting, Akron, Ohio, July 2008
- Selected to the Top 50: Women Ohio Super Lawyers list, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2023
- Selected to the Top 25: Women Cleveland Super Lawyers list, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022, 2023
- Selected to the Top 50: Cleveland Super Lawyers list, 2022
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate, Ohio, 2015-2023
- Listed in Savoy’s “Most Influential Black Lawyers,” 2015, 2018, 2022
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list, 2013-2023
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America© 2011-2024 for Real Estate Law
- Recipient of the American Jewish Committee Cleveland Richard H. Adler Community Leadership Award, 2021
- Recipient of the Outstanding Fundraising Volunteer Award from the Association of Fundraising Professionals Greater Cleveland Chapter, National Philanthropy Day 2021
- Listed in The Legal 500, Real Estate, 2014-2021
- Named to the Lawyers of Color Power List, 2020
- Named to the Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America list, 2018
- Honored as the Black Professional of the Year by the Black Professionals Association Charitable Foundation, 2018
- Recognized as a Woman of Achievement by the YWCA of Greater Cleveland, 2016
- Selected as an Acritas Star, a “client-nominated, stand-out lawyer”
- Listed in “The Power 100 – Northeast Ohio’s Most Influential CEOs, Politicians & Civic Leaders,” Community Leader magazine
- Received the Del de Windt Leadership Award for Civic Engagement, The First Tee of Cleveland, December 2015
- Selected for Crain’s Cleveland Business’s “Women of Note,” 2015
- Included in the Inside Business “Power 100 List” of the 100 individuals who most influence Northeast Ohio’s economy, 2014
- Selected for Crain’s Cleveland Business’s “Who to Watch in Law,” 2014
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list, 2007, 2009
- Honored with the Ohio Leadership Excellence Award from the National Diversity Council, 2013
- Received a Woman of Professional Excellence Award from the YWCA of Greater Cleveland, 2006
- Selected as a member of the Kaleidoscope Magazine 40/40 Club, Class of 2003
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL), member, 2013 to present
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), member
- ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania Retail Development & Law Symposium Planning Committee, member, 2007 to present; co-chair, 2012; lead co-chair, 2013
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, member
- Case Western Reserve University President’s Commission on Student Success, member, 2020 to present
- The Treu-Mart Fund, board member, 2020 to present
- The Codrington Foundation, board member, 2016 to present
- Cleveland Foundation, Strategic Planning Committee, 2020-2021; African-American Philanthropy Committee, 2012 to present
- The Links Incorporated, Western Reserve (OH) Chapter, member, 2012 to present
- City Club of Cleveland, board president, 2018-2021; board member, 2010 to present
- The Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio, board member, 2009 to present
- KnowledgeWorks Foundation, board member, 2020-2022
- Cleveland Heritage Medal Selection Committee, 2020-2021
- Center for Population Dynamics, Cleveland State University, 2015-2019
- The George Gund Foundation, board member, 2012-2017
- Museum of Contemporary Art – Cleveland (MOCA), board member, 2010-2017
- Leadership Cleveland, member, Class of 2016
- The Sherwick Fund, board member, 2012-2015
- Levin College of Urban Affairs, Cleveland State University, member, Advisory Committee to Albert A. Levin Chair of Urban Studies, 2001-2011
- Shaker Heights Economic Development Task Force (previously Economic Development Committee), citizen member, 2001-2011
- Campaign for Issue 6 (Cuyahoga County Reform), co-chair, 2009
- Cleveland Housing Network, Inc., secretary and board member, 2001-2006
- Cleveland Bridge Builders, member, Class of 2003
- Karamu House Inc., board member, 2001-2003
- Yale University, J.D., 1997,
Earl Warren/NAACP Legal Defense Fund Scholar; Schell Center for International Human Rights Fellow (1995)
- Harvard University, B.A., 1991, cum laude
- New York
Select a filter
- How To Avoid A Zombie Office Building Apocalypse,
Law360, July 5, 2023
- CFIUS Determines It Has No Jurisdiction Over Proposed Chinese-Owned Real Estate in North Dakota,
International Trade & Real Estate Update, December 21, 2022
- Thompson Hine Real Estate Update, December 10, 2021
- Robyn Minter Smyers Receives AFP Greater Cleveland Outstanding Fundraising Volunteer Award,
Thompson Hine LLP, November 8, 2021
- Leading Local Women Offer Advice on How to Achieve Success,
Cleveland Jewish News, March 12, 2021
- What Developers Must Know About New Ohio Brownfield Law,
Law360, August 26, 2020
- New Ohio Law Provides Legal Protections to Brownfield Developers,
Real Estate & Environmental Law Update, June 29, 2020