Examples of Tanya’s experience include:
- Represented national transportation company in response to NC DEQ RCRA hazardous waste compliance order and successfully obtained reduced penalty violation.
- Represented New Mexico municipalities in cost recovery action to remediate municipal water supply contaminated by hazardous substances used by private company.
- Represented national petroleum company in defense against EPA investigation and incident response to oil spill in San Francisco harbor.
- Successfully settled and negotiated penalties in EPA enforcement action for industrial stormwater permit compliance under the Clean Water Act.
- Successfully advised investment company on environmental risks associated with purchase of a former sawmill site.
- Led Fifth Amendment takings litigation involving a $56 million-dollar partial settlement of over 30 just compensation claims involving the East Lake Sammamish Trail in Sammamish, Washington.
- Obtained partially favorable ruling on summary judgment for Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service decisions creating a master development plan and well-pads for the exploration and development of oil and gas in the Colorado River Basin.
- Defended two lawsuits bringing NEPA and FLMPA challenges regarding the Bureau of Land Management issuance of leases for the development of oil and gas in Southwest Colorado.
- Advise federal agency of the conservation and legal implications of returning the National Bison Range to federal tribal management.
- Analyze and evaluate the socio-economic impacts of oil and gas lease sales on local communities under the National Environmental Policy Act.
- “FTC Extends Comment Period for Green Guides Revisions,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, February 2023
- “New CEQ Guidance Takes Most Significant Action on GHG Emissions Since 2016,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, February 2023
- “Legal Challenges to Just-Published WOTUS Rule Begin,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, January 2023
- “EPA and Army Seek to Reset WOTUS Rule Regulatory Framework Before Sackett Ruling,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, January 2023
- Contributor, “Biden Administration Beats Justices To Punch With CWA Rule,” Law360, January 2023
- “FTC Gearing Up for Potential Crackdown on False Environmental Benefit Claims,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, December 2022
- “Rise in Greenwashing Cases: What Companies Need to Know,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Fall 2022
- “Rise in Greenwashing Cases: What Companies Need to Know,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, November 2022
- Quoted in “This SCOTUS case could change climate action,” POLITICO, October 28, 2022
- Panel Member, “An ESG Collaborative Roundtable: Developing Best Practices for Navigating the Moving Target That is ESG,” Thompson Hine ESG Collaborative Workshop, January 2023
- Speaker, “6PPD and other emerging water contaminants,” CICI’s Water/Wastewater Issues Seminar, November 2022
- Moderator, Environmental Law Institute’s Women in Environmental Law and Leadership (ELI WELL), “Beyond Generations: A multi-generational conversation on the past, present, and future of women in environmental law and policy,” July 2022
- Speaker, “Anticipating the Impacts of a More Conservative United States Supreme Court on Environmental Law & Policy: Cases Relating to Separation of Powers and Federal Agency Jurisdiction,” Law Seminars International, July 2022
- Panel Speaker, “Amending NEPA to Enhance Environmental Justice and Climate Change Assessments,” Environmental Law Institute, April 2022
- Panel Speaker, “NEPA Modernization: The Biden Administration’s Re-Write of the Trump Administration’s NEPA Re-Write,” Law Seminars International, January 2022
- Panel Speaker, “Difficult Conversations in the Workplace,” NAWL & Women in the Environment, September 2020
- Panel Speaker, “Bias & The Virus: Combating Institutional Discrimination & Disparity,” The Women in Law Summit Series, July 2020
- The National Black Lawyers Top 100, 2022
- The National Black Lawyers 40 Under 40 in Washington State, 2021
- Department of Justice Award for Outstanding Service recipient, 2018
- Co-Chair, Public Land and Resources Committee of the Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, American Bar Association
- Member, Environmental Law Institute, WELL Steering Committee, D.C. Chapter
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2008
- Smith College, B.A., 2005
- District of Columbia
Select a filter
- FTC Extends Comment Period for Green Guides Revisions,
Environmental Update, February 6, 2023
- New CEQ Guidance Takes Most Significant Action on GHG Emissions Since 2016,
Environmental Update, February 1, 2023
- Legal Challenges to Just-Published WOTUS Rule Begin,
Environmental Update, January 23, 2023
- EPA and Army Seek to Reset WOTUS Rule Regulatory Framework Before Sackett Ruling,
Environmental Update, January 18, 2023
- FTC Gearing Up for Potential Crackdown on False Environmental Benefit Claims,
Environmental Update, December 27, 2022
- Environmental Litigator Tanya C. Nesbitt Joins Thompson Hine in Atlanta,
Thompson Hine LLP, December 16, 2022
- Business Law Update – Fall 2022,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, December 7, 2022
- Rise in Greenwashing Cases: What Companies Need to Know,
Environmental Update, November 17, 2022
Business Law Update – Fall 2022