Examples of Tanya’s experience include:
- Advised multinational home appliance manufacturer of litigation and regulatory risks associated with zero-waste-to landfill environmental benefit claims on facility and product level.
- Represented national transportation company in response to the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality Resource Conservation and Recovery Act’s hazardous waste compliance order and successfully obtained reduced penalty violation.
- Represented New Mexico municipalities in cost recovery action to remediate municipal water supply contaminated by hazardous substances used by private company.
- Represented national petroleum company in defense against EPA investigation and incident response to oil spill in San Francisco harbor.
- Successfully settled and negotiated penalties in EPA enforcement action for industrial stormwater permit compliance under the Clean Water Act.
- Successfully advised investment company on environmental risks associated with purchase of a former sawmill site.
- Led Fifth Amendment takings litigation involving a $56 million-dollar partial settlement of over 30 just compensation claims involving the East Lake Sammamish Trail in Sammamish, Washington.
- Obtained partially favorable ruling on summary judgment for Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service decisions creating a master development plan and well-pads for the exploration and development of oil and gas in the Colorado River Basin.
- Defended two lawsuits bringing National Environmental Policy Act and Federal Land Policy and Management Act challenges regarding the Bureau of Land Management issuance of leases for the development of oil and gas in Southwest Colorado.
- Advise federal agency of the conservation and legal implications of returning the National Bison Range to federal tribal management.
- Analyze and evaluate the socio-economic impacts of oil and gas lease sales on local communities under the National Environmental Policy Act.
- “Greener Than Thou: Companies and Growing ESG Litigation Concerns,” Best Lawyers, Spring Business Edition, June 2023
- Quoted, “SCOTUS stocks docket with blockbuster regulatory battles,” E&E News, February 21, 2023 (subscription required)
- “Latest Federal Procurement Proposed Rule Turns Up Heat on Federal Contractors and Suppliers by Requiring Greenhouse Gas Emission and Climate-Related Reporting,” Thompson Hine Environmental & Government Contracts Update, February 2023
- “FTC Extends Comment Period for Green Guides Revisions,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, February 2023
- “New CEQ Guidance Takes Most Significant Action on GHG Emissions Since 2016,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, February 2023
- “Legal Challenges to Just-Published WOTUS Rule Begin,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, January 2023
- “EPA and Army Seek to Reset WOTUS Rule Regulatory Framework Before Sackett Ruling,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, January 2023
- Contributor, “Biden Administration Beats Justices To Punch With CWA Rule,” Law360, January 2023
- “FTC Gearing Up for Potential Crackdown on False Environmental Benefit Claims,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, December 2022
- “Rise in Greenwashing Cases: What Companies Need to Know,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Fall 2022
- “Rise in Greenwashing Cases: What Companies Need to Know,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, November 2022
- Quoted in “This SCOTUS case could change climate action,” POLITICO, October 28, 2022
- Panelist, “Managing Environmental Risk in Changing Times: A Forum for EH&S Counsel and Leaders,” Thompson Hine Webinar, May 2023
- Moderator, “EJ & Public Lands,” American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, Public Lands and Resources Subcommittee, Community Conversation, May 2023
- Speaker, “ESG: The State of the Law and Requirements,” Chemical Industry Council of Illinois, Hot Topics Seminar, May 2023
- Panelist, “Opportunities and Challenges in the New Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Frontier: From Theory to Practice,” 21st Annual Illinois State Bar Environmental Conference, May 2023
- Panelist, “Regulatory and Litigation Updates on Greenwashing and ESG Claims,” Thomson Reuters & Celesq, May 2023
- Speaker, “ESG & Sustainability for Manufacturers,” Manufacturers Alliance Sustainability Council Meeting, March 2023
- Presenter, “Environmental, Social and Greenwashing? Establishing a Clear Sustainability Mission,” Thompson Hine Webinar, February 2023
- Panel Member, “An ESG Collaborative Roundtable: Developing Best Practices for Navigating the Moving Target That is ESG,” Thompson Hine ESG Collaborative Workshop, January 2023
- Speaker, “6PPD and other emerging water contaminants,” CICI’s Water/Wastewater Issues Seminar, November 2022
- Moderator, Environmental Law Institute’s Women in Environmental Law and Leadership (ELI WELL), “Beyond Generations: A multi-generational conversation on the past, present, and future of women in environmental law and policy,” July 2022
- Speaker, “Anticipating the Impacts of a More Conservative United States Supreme Court on Environmental Law & Policy: Cases Relating to Separation of Powers and Federal Agency Jurisdiction,” Law Seminars International, July 2022
- Panel Speaker, “Amending NEPA to Enhance Environmental Justice and Climate Change Assessments,” Environmental Law Institute, April 2022
- Panel Speaker, “NEPA Modernization: The Biden Administration’s Re-Write of the Trump Administration’s NEPA Re-Write,” Law Seminars International, January 2022
- Selected to Law360’s Environmental Editorial Advisory Board, 2023
- Listed in Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Environmental Lawyers, 2023
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Fellow, 2023
- The National Black Lawyers Top 100, 2022
- The National Black Lawyers 40 Under 40 in Washington State, 2021
- Department of Justice Award for Outstanding Service recipient, 2018
- Co-Chair, Public Land and Resources Committee of the Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, American Bar Association
- Member, Environmental Law Institute, WELL Steering Committee, D.C. Chapter
- Member, Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW), Atlanta Network
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2008
- Smith College, B.A., 2005
- District of Columbia
Select a filter
- Greener Than Thou,
Best Lawyers, June 1, 2023
- Latest Federal Procurement Proposed Rule Turns Up Heat on Federal Contractors and Suppliers by Requiring Greenhouse Gas Emission and Climate-Related Reporting,
Environmental & Government Contracts Update, February 10, 2023
- FTC Extends Comment Period for Green Guides Revisions,
Environmental Update, February 6, 2023
- New CEQ Guidance Takes Most Significant Action on GHG Emissions Since 2016,
Environmental Update, February 1, 2023
- Legal Challenges to Just-Published WOTUS Rule Begin,
Environmental Update, January 23, 2023
- EPA and Army Seek to Reset WOTUS Rule Regulatory Framework Before Sackett Ruling,
Environmental Update, January 18, 2023
- FTC Gearing Up for Potential Crackdown on False Environmental Benefit Claims,
Environmental Update, December 27, 2022
- Environmental Litigator Tanya C. Nesbitt Joins Thompson Hine in Atlanta,
Thompson Hine LLP, December 16, 2022
- Business Law Update – Fall 2022,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, December 7, 2022
- Rise in Greenwashing Cases: What Companies Need to Know,
Environmental Update, November 17, 2022
Business Law Update – Fall 2022