Kevin’s construction experience ranges from project delivery counseling, drafting and negotiating contracts, assisting clients in evaluating claims for defect, delay and prolongation and representing clients in disputes. Kevin has experience in megaprojects, manufacturing, energy and heavy industry works, national security infrastructure, airports and land reclamation. Representative projects include:
- Advising and counseling a global semiconductor and technology company for the multi-billion dollar greenfield design and build of a megaproject semiconductor plant and associated facilities in Ohio. This includes serving as project counsel to the owner, drafting and revising agreements to enable design and construction, advising on risk and risk mitigation, claims review and analysis, and advising on the disposition of disputes.
- Advising one of the world’s largest energy companies on new construction projects, including transmission lines, expansion of transmission lines and other infrastructure improvements. Drafted and negotiated multiple EPC agreements with international contractors and advised client on risk and claims during project execution.
- Advising client on data center design and construction, including drafting, revising and negotiating agreements with contractors and large equipment suppliers.
- Advising and representing a global engineering corporation in disputes related to the construction of New York City-based projects, including representation during discovery and related matters.
- Advising OEM equipment supplier delivering power plant equipment on a contract dispute, including delay analysis evaluation and contract closeout with the plant owner.
- Advising a multifamily housing development in the drafting of multifamily construction projects.
- Representing multiple corporate owners on the design and construction of chemical, manufacturing and other technology development corporations, including advising, drafting and negotiating agreements, and representing during claims and disputes.
- Defense of a prime contractor for a hospital construction project, evaluating subcontractor claims, mechanic’s lien discharge applications and claims negotiations.
- Assisting an owner in project delivery, contract drafting and negotiations for a multi-million dollar renovation and new wing addition to the owner’s corporate headquarters. Advising on related design, development and construction of a multi-acre, $70 million learning and development campus.
- Representing commercial landlords and tenants during lease drafting and negotiations, including construction work letter drafting and negotiations.
- Assisting a subcontractor in defending claims of defective construction of a multi-family construction project.
- Represent surveying and inspecting companies for damage claims arising from pipeline construction in Southern Ohio.
- Representing pipeline contractors in state and federal courts regarding claims for outstanding payment, defect claims and disputed change orders.
- Advising and counseling the Steering Committee for the design and construction of a $20 billion, major international airport in the State of Qatar. This included serving as project counsel, claims review, and advising on litigation strategy and ADR matters.
- Defending an owner in arbitration against claims arising from the design and build of a national security infrastructure project, including delay, prolongation, disputed variations and liquidated damages claims. Representation included drafting briefs and representing client at arbitration hearings.
- Representing a governmental owner in mediation and litigation for claims arising from a multi-billion dollar infrastructure project, including preparing claims, researching and drafting requests for arbitration. Working with experts to identify and quantify delay claims, master planning works deficiencies, infrastructure systems design and construction defects (including MEP, wastewater and security systems), contract management and administration failures, and problems arising from the design, build and project management of constructing a megaproject and associated facilities.
- Advising and counseling an international joint venture contractor performing services for the construction of the Riyadh metro system on contract issues.
- Advising a bid-build contractor road failure claims, including representing client during bilingual mediation proceedings and related litigation.
- Counseling an MEP subcontractor on construction issues and rights upon termination of contract. Assisting in developing warranty claims and drafting project correspondence
International Arbitration and Cross-Border Disputes
Kevin counsels and represents in international arbitration proceedings, including the analysis of relevant national laws and enforcement of judgments in the United States and overseas. Representative disputes include:
- Representing an international bank in an ICC arbitration (New York seat) on claims for breach of contract, fraud and fraudulent inducement, including drafting statement of claim and counseling client on arbitral proceedings.
- Representing supply chain and logistics provider regarding potential FCPA and criminal issues regarding U.S./Mexico border crossing.
- Representing Qatar government in ICC arbitration proceedings, including arbitration hearings (Doha, Qatar seat).
- Representing Qatar government in ICC arbitration proceedings (London seat), including drafting claim documents, representing client at mediation, drafting documents in arbitration, and working with experts to develop claims.
- Representing a Malaysian contractor in foreign state proceedings, including mediation and litigation, and consultation with local counsel.
- “In Warhol Case, Justices May Clarify Fair Use Standard,” Law360, March 2022
- “INSIGHT: Lease Accounting Changes Present More Than Accounting Problems,” Bloomberg BNA, June 2018
- “Yates Memo Revised to Provide DOJ Greater Flexibility in Corporate Investigations,” Thompson Hine White Collar/FCPA Update, December 2018
- Contributor, “2016 Construction Law Update,” Construction Law in the Arab States of the Gulf Cooperation Council
- “Looking Backward: Instant Runoff Voting in the 2010 Midterm Elections,” Election Law at Moritz Expert Commentary, November 2010
- “Instant Runoff Voting as a ‘Game Changing’ Alternative Voting System?” Election Law at Moritz Expert Commentary, October 2010
- “Recent Development: Safety National Casualty Corp. v. Certain Underwriters Lloyd’s London,” Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, 2010
- Lecturer for “International Business Arbitration” and “Workshop on International Arbitration,” The Ohio State University American Law and Language Program, 2019-2021
- “International Arbitration,” The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, September 2018
- “Drafting Arbitration Clauses,” International Chamber of Commerce Qatar, January 2017
- “ICC Arbitration: Understanding the Basics,” International Chamber of Commerce Qatar, April 2016
- Received 2022, 2023 and 2024 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Alternative Dispute Resolution, Construction Law, and Litigation-Construction; included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Alternative Dispute Resolution and Construction Law (2021)
- Society of Construction Law (Gulf)
- Builders Exchange of Central Ohio
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2023
- L.L.M. Advisory Council, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law
- Advisor and coach, International Moot Court Team, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law
- Advisor to the Catholic Foundation of Ohio on facility concept design and construction
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude,
editor in chief, Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- In Warhol Case, Justices May Clarify Fair Use Standard,
Thompson Hine LLP, March 31, 2022
- Ohio Supreme Court Holds 10-Year Construction Statute of Repose Includes Breach of Contract Claims,
Construction Update, July 19, 2019
- INSIGHT: Lease Accounting Changes Present More Than Accounting Problems, June 3, 2019