The transportation industry has evolved from a highly regulated sector into a dynamic and innovative service market essential to vital just-in-time deliveries and integrated supply chains.
Thompson Hine is rated at the top of our profession in the United States for the representation of shippers in rail and motor carrier matters by Chambers USA, based on interviews with clients and peers. We understand both the regulatory settings and the commercial complexities affecting domestic and multimodal international transportation of cargo.
We provide a broad range of services to clients in the industry and handle a variety of matters concerning commercial, regulatory, litigation, legislative and policy issues involving the transportation of goods by rail, truck, vessel, aircraft and pipeline. We also counsel clients on matters of homeland security and transportation of hazardous materials as those issues continue to have an increasing impact on their businesses.
Manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers and retailers that import or export products must contend with a host of transportation-related regulatory issues. Our Transportation team works hand in hand with our International Trade lawyers to provide a holistic approach to assisting clients in getting their goods where they need to go. Visit our International Trade pages to learn more about how we can assist you.
We represent clients in a broad range of administrative and regulatory matters before the following government agencies:
- Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Federal Highway Administration (FHA)
- Federal Maritime Commission (FMC)
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- Research and Special Programs Administration (RSPA)
- Surface Transportation Board (STB)
We advise clients across all major modes of transportation and types of commodities. Our clients include bulk and non-bulk shippers, intermediaries and carriers. Examples of past and present clients include:
- Bulk-commodity shippers (electric utilities, agricultural companies, metals companies, petro-chemical companies, coal companies)
- Industry trade associations
- Motor carriers
- Retail companies
- Short-line railroads
- State and local government interests
- Transportation intermediaries (motor freight forwarders, motor carrier brokers, intermodal marketing companies, third-party logistics companies, non-vessel operating common carriers (NVOCC), ocean freight forwarders)
Why choose Thompson Hine for your transportation legal needs?
- Our lawyers are nationally rated at the top of their profession for representation of shippers in rail and motor carrier matters by Chambers USA, based on interviews with clients and peers.
- Through more than 50 years of representing The National Industrial Transportation League, the nation’s oldest and largest trade association for shippers and individual companies across industry lines, our lawyers have been at the center of virtually every major freight transportation issue.
- Our lawyers have in-depth experience in all aspects of freight transportation transactions, including contract negotiation, interpretation and performance; service problems; safety and economic regulation, compliance and enforcement; and dispute resolution through mediation, arbitration, and litigation.
- Our experience extends to all four transportation modes (i.e. motor, rail, water and air) and to shippers, carriers and transportation intermediaries such as brokers, forwarders, NVOCCs, and 3PLs.
- Our lawyers have strong relationships with government transportation agencies and are among the leaders in national transportation bar associations.
- We use a multi-disciplinary approach to address our clients’ needs. When your transportation issues overlap with other areas of law (e.g. corporate, environmental, labor, litigation, real estate), we draw on the experience of Thompson Hine lawyers in these other fields.
- Our firm recognizes the importance of making client service our focus in everything we do. Our Client Service Pledge details this commitment and what our clients can expect from us.
Please fill out this form if you'd like to subscribe to any of the electronic newsletters and alerts we publish on developments in many areas of the law, legislative and regulatory changes, and industry trends.
STB Issues Notice of Public Hearing for Demurrage and Accessorial Charges - Transportation Update
April 09, 2019
STB Announces Hearing on Railroad Demurrage and Accessorial Charges - Transportation Update
March 21, 2019
AAR Seeks Restrictions on STB Regulatory Authority - Transportation Update
March 19, 2019
DOT Issues New Rule for Air Transport of Lithium Batteries - Transportation Update
March 06, 2019
FAA to Seek Comments on Measures to Address Drone Risks - Transportation Update
February 07, 2019
FMC Issues Final Report on Demurrage and Detention Practices - Transportation Update
January 18, 2019
FAA Proposes Rules Allowing Drone Flights Over People and at Night - Transportation Update
January 16, 2019
Hazardous Materials Shippers May Benefit from Recent Regulatory Changes - Transportation Update
November 08, 2018
FMC Seeks Comments on Petition for Exemption from Service Contract Filing Requirements - Transportation Update
September 25, 2018
Recent Federal Maritime Commission Developments - Transportation Update
September 11, 2018
FMCSA Seeks Comments on Changes to Hours of Service Rules - Transportation Update
August 24, 2018
FMC Amends NVOCC Negotiated Rate Arrangements and Service Arrangements Rules - Transportation Update
July 31, 2018
April 16, 2018
STB Stakeholder Meetings on Adequacy of Emergency Service Regulations - Transportation Update
March 16, 2018
STB Issues Final Rule on Expediting Rate Cases - Transportation Update
December 07, 2017
FMC Proposes Rule Changes for NVOCC Rate and Service Arrangements - Transportation Update
November 30, 2017
Trump Administration to Look to Public-Private Partnerships for Drone Regulation Solutions - Transportation Update
October 31, 2017
Court Denies Class Certification in Rail Freight Fuel Surcharge Antitrust Litigation - Transportation Update
October 10, 2017
STB Proposes Changes to Ex Parte Communication Rules - Transportation Update
October 03, 2017
Elliott to Depart STB, Leaving Just Two Members - Transportation Update
September 28, 2017
STB Reschedules Listening Session on CSXT Service - Transportation Update
September 21, 2017
STB Postpones CSX Service Hearing - Transportation Update
September 07, 2017
STB Public Listening Session on CSXT Service - Transportation Update
August 25, 2017
Recreational Drone Registration Rule Overturned, Highlighting FAA Safety Oversight Gap - Transportation Update
May 30, 2017
STB Proposes Rulemaking to Expedite Rate Review Process - Transportation Update
April 04, 2017
STB Issues Arbitration Procedure Final Rules - Transportation Update
October 03, 2016
Hanjin Shipping Bankruptcy - What Cargo Owners Need to Know - Transportation Update
September 15, 2016
STB Seeks Comments on New Rail Rate Case Methodology - Transportation Update
September 02, 2016
July 28, 2016
Class Certification Hearing Format Set in Fuel Surcharge Litigation - Transportation Update
July 11, 2016
FAA Releases Small UAS (Drone) Operations Rule - Transportation Update
June 21, 2016
STB Seeks Comments on Expediting Rate Cases - Transportation Update
June 16, 2016