In today's interconnected world, maintaining the privacy and integrity of personal data is not only a legal responsibility, it's a business imperative. Maintaining the efficient, reliable and competitively successful use of business data in today's globally connected economy while complying with the growing thicket of privacy and data security laws can and should be complementary goals.
Thompson Hine's nationally recognized Privacy & Cybersecurity practice offers clients an interdisciplinary group of lawyers with experience in complex national and international issues of privacy, data protection, information security, records retention, employment and labor law, consumer protection, internet law, insurance law and intellectual property matters. Our practice is designed to help you develop, implement and benefit from globally compliant data-management practices.
We provide strategic counseling, regulatory compliance and litigation services to clients in a wide range of industries, with a keen eye on business information needs. Our team, which includes Certified Privacy Professionals, assists numerous companies in developing and implementing their global privacy and data protection programs and strengthening their strategic use of competitively critical data. We also advise on structuring cyber insurance programs and on insurance recovery for cyber-related claims.
- Assisting clients in developing, implementing, managing, and monitoring enterprise-wide, global privacy and data security policies, programs and protocols.
- Counseling on compliance with the full range of state, national and international laws and regulations including the European Union Privacy Directive, HIPAA, FCRA, FACTA, ECPA and others.
- Advising on the trans-border transfer of sensitive personal data, including data transfers from and to European Union operations in connection with mergers and acquisitions, human resource operations, IT systems and other contexts.
- Advising companies that sponsor group health plans, insurers, health care providers and business associates on their respective obligations under HIPAA’s privacy and security requirements.
- Assisting companies in responding to data breaches.
- Representing companies in litigation growing out of data security incidents and cybercrimes.
- Reviewing, developing and advising on the processing of patient and health care data, drafting patient consent forms and non-disclosures for the life science industry.
- Assisting with designing, implementing and managing marketing and advertising preferences, and compliance with Do-Not-Call, Do-Not-Fax, TCPA, CAN SPAM, COPPA and state laws and regulations.
- Counseling companies on maintaining and operating legal compliance programs, including confidential whistleblower mechanisms, in the face of conflicting global privacy laws.
- Litigating federal and state privacy and internet matters.
- Consulting on global workplace privacy and employee-monitoring concerns.
- Providing contract solutions for outsourcing relationships.
- Counseling on records retention and data destruction plans.
- Engaging in, responding to and managing electronic discovery.
- Consulting on e-commerce and internet contest issues.
- Advising on how to deal with unfair competition and consumer protection concerns.
- Responding to trademark and copyright infringement, including cybersquatting and counterfeiting.
- Registering and protecting domain names.
Please fill out this form if you'd like to subscribe to any of the electronic newsletters and alerts we publish on developments in many areas of the law, legislative and regulatory changes, and industry trends.
Virginia Enacts New Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Law - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
March 04, 2021
Responding to the SolarWinds Breach: Compliance and Oversight Considerations - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
December 23, 2020
California Voters Approve New Data Privacy Law - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
November 04, 2020
DoD Publishes Interim Cybersecurity Rule on CMMC and DoD Assessments - Government Contracts Update
October 06, 2020
California Legislature Extends CCPA’s Exemptions for Personal Information in the Employment and Business-to-Business Context - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
September 18, 2020
Chemical Industry Regulatory Update - September 2020 - A Newsletter from The Adhesive and Sealant Council and Thompson Hine LLP
September 04, 2020
Final CCPA Regulations Approved, Effective Immediately - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
August 21, 2020
European Court Invalidates Privacy Shield; Upholds Model Clauses (For Now) - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
July 17, 2020
California Releases Final CCPA Regulations Ahead of July 1 Enforcement Deadline - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
June 16, 2020
June 09, 2020
From Contact Tracing to Virtual Temperature Taking: Privacy Considerations for Employers - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
May 19, 2020
New York’s SHIELD Act Now Effective – Take Steps to Ensure Compliance - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
April 23, 2020
April 21, 2020
April 21, 2020
March 26, 2020
When Your Critical Service Providers Telecommute: Risks and Tips - COVID-19 Update
March 25, 2020
Review Teleworking Cybersecurity Policies and Practices - COVID-19 Update
March 23, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 and Employee Privacy - COVID-19 Update
March 18, 2020
California Attorney General Publishes Modifications to CCPA Regulations - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
March 16, 2020
UK Proposes Substantial Expansion of Online Privacy Protections for Children - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
January 30, 2020
Business Law Update - Fall 2019 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
November 18, 2019
California’s New Data Privacy Law Coming into Focus - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 23, 2019
“Pre-Ticked” Boxes to Obtain Cookie Use Consent Fail Under EU Law - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 09, 2019
Nevada’s “Opt-Out” Privacy Law and the Future of Data Protection - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 01, 2019
California’s New Privacy Law: Recent Amendments and Approaching Compliance Deadlines - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
September 30, 2019
DOD’s Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification and Draft CMMC Model Framework - Government Contracts Update
September 17, 2019
State Biometric Privacy Legislation: What You Need to Know - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
September 05, 2019
Business Law Update – Summer 2019 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
August 14, 2019
New York SHIELD Act Expands Privacy and Cybersecurity Obligations - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
July 29, 2019
Applying EU Guidance on Real-Time Bidding Beyond the GDPR - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
July 09, 2019
Washington’s New Data Breach Law Follows Enhanced Privacy Protection Trends - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
May 20, 2019
Ohio’s New Cybersecurity Requirements for Insurance Companies, Agencies and Agents - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
February 08, 2019
Canada’s New Data Breach Law Creates Unique Obligations for Businesses - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
November 08, 2018
Preparing for Ohio’s Cybersecurity Safe Harbor Law - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 17, 2018
California Becomes First State to Regulate Internet-Connected Devices - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 10, 2018
Amendments to California Privacy Law Will Impact Businesses - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 01, 2018
California Expands Consumer Privacy Protections - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
July 09, 2018
Business Law Update – Spring 2018 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
April 12, 2018