In today's interconnected world, maintaining the privacy and integrity of personal data is not only a legal responsibility, it's a business imperative. Maintaining the efficient, reliable and competitively successful use of business data in today's globally connected economy while complying with the growing thicket of privacy and data security laws can and should be complementary goals.
Thompson Hine's nationally recognized Privacy & Cybersecurity practice offers clients an interdisciplinary group of lawyers with experience in complex national and international issues of privacy, data protection, information security, records retention, employment and labor law, consumer protection, internet law, insurance law and intellectual property matters. Our practice is designed to help you develop, implement and benefit from globally compliant data-management practices.
We provide strategic counseling, regulatory compliance and litigation services to clients in a wide range of industries, with a keen eye on business information needs. Our team, which includes Certified Privacy Professionals, assists numerous companies in developing and implementing their global privacy and data protection programs and strengthening their strategic use of competitively critical data. We also advise on structuring cyber insurance programs and on insurance recovery for cyber-related claims.
- Assisting clients in developing, implementing, managing, and monitoring enterprise-wide, global privacy and data security policies, programs and protocols.
- Counseling on compliance with the full range of state, national and international laws and regulations including the European Union Privacy Directive, HIPAA, FCRA, FACTA, ECPA and others.
- Advising on the trans-border transfer of sensitive personal data, including data transfers from and to European Union operations in connection with mergers and acquisitions, human resource operations, IT systems and other contexts.
- Assisting global companies with certification under the Department of Commerce Safe Harbor program.
- Advising companies that sponsor group health plans, insurers, health care providers and business associates on their respective obligations under HIPAA’s privacy and security requirements.
- Assisting companies in responding to data breaches.
- Representing companies in litigation growing out of data security incidents and cybercrimes.
- Reviewing, developing and advising on the processing of patient and health care data, drafting patient consent forms and non-disclosures for the life science industry.
- Assisting with designing, implementing and managing marketing and advertising preferences, and compliance with Do-Not-Call, Do-Not-Fax, TCPA, CAN SPAM, COPPA and state laws and regulations.
- Counseling companies on maintaining and operating legal compliance programs, including confidential whistleblower mechanisms, in the face of conflicting global privacy laws.
- Litigating federal and state privacy and internet matters.
- Consulting on global workplace privacy and employee-monitoring concerns.
- Providing contract solutions for outsourcing relationships.
- Counseling on records retention and data destruction plans.
- Engaging in, responding to and managing electronic discovery.
- Consulting on e-commerce and internet contest issues.
- Advising on how to deal with unfair competition and consumer protection concerns.
- Responding to trademark and copyright infringement, including cybersquatting and counterfeiting.
- Registering and protecting domain names.
Please fill out this form if you'd like to subscribe to any of the electronic newsletters and alerts we publish on developments in many areas of the law, legislative and regulatory changes, and industry trends.
Washington’s New Data Breach Law Follows Enhanced Privacy Protection Trends - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
May 20, 2019
Ohio’s New Cybersecurity Requirements for Insurance Companies, Agencies and Agents - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
February 08, 2019
Canada’s New Data Breach Law Creates Unique Obligations for Businesses - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
November 08, 2018
Preparing for Ohio’s Cybersecurity Safe Harbor Law - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 17, 2018
California Becomes First State to Regulate Internet-Connected Devices - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 10, 2018
Amendments to California Privacy Law Will Impact Businesses - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 01, 2018
California Expands Consumer Privacy Protections - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
July 09, 2018
Business Law Update – Spring 2018 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
April 12, 2018
Biometric Data: Convenient or Cause for Concern? - Labor & Employment @lert
March 12, 2018
CEA Report: Cost of Malicious Cyber Activity to the U.S. Economy - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
February 20, 2018
Business Law Update – Winter 2018 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
January 25, 2018
FERC Proposes Cybersecurity Incident Reporting Rule - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
January 02, 2018
EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Review Confirms Adequacy and Suggests Improvements - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 23, 2017
SEC Risk Alert Highlights Cybersecurity Compliance Risks of Broker-Dealers, Investment Advisers and Fund Companies - Investment Management Update
August 17, 2017
FTC Increases Focus on Smart Toys with COPPA Update - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
August 09, 2017
Court Finds Work Product Doctrine Protects Data Breach Records - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
June 08, 2017
New York Financial Services Cybersecurity Regulation Takes Effect March 1 - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
February 21, 2017
Cybersecurity Commission Report Encourages Immediate Action, Collaboration - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
December 12, 2016
New York Proposes Cybersecurity Regulations for Financial Services Firms - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
October 17, 2016
Business Law Update — Summer 2016 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
July 20, 2016
Second Circuit Limits Use of Warrants to Secure Electronic Data Stored Abroad - Privacy & White Collar Update
July 15, 2016
European Commission Adopts EU-U.S. Privacy Shield - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
July 13, 2016