We serve the commercial, transactional, regulatory and litigation needs of clients involved in the development, acquisition and sale of energy assets, and the production, transportation, distribution, sale and purchase of energy commodities, including electricity, natural gas including shale gas and LNG, petroleum and coal. Our multidisciplinary capabilities and team approach to transactions, project finance and regulatory compliance matters help us meet and exceed our clients’ needs and expectations.
Project Development, Financing & Acquisitions
- Site control
- Environmental counseling
- Fuel supply and transportation
- Secondary market transactions and restructuring
- Energy taxes and credits
- Project support contracts and relationships
- Asset transfer authorization
- Financial structuring
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
- Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- State regulatory agencies
Renewable Energy, Clean Technology & Sustainability
- Municipal waste to energy
- U.S. Building Council LEED certifications
- Demand-side management measures
- Emissions credits and trading
Conventional Energy Commodities
- Natural gas, including shale gas and LNG
- Representing an electric utility in the construction, development and financing of a natural gas-fired peaking power plant, including joint ownership, site acquisition, permitting, operation and maintenance, interconnection, and fuel supply arrangements.
- Representing an electric utility in the acquisition and syndicated financing of an interest in another utility and coal-fired baseload power plants.
Representing an investor in an ethanol production facility.
- Assisting in developing a financial structure for, and representing client investment in, an operating company for the development of biodiesel from waste grease.
- Representing a wind developer in connection with an equity investment by a leading private equity firm.
- Advising on and assisting with documentation of a loan agreement and an option agreement to purchase an operating biomass facility.
- Preparing a placement memorandum for a private equity venture capital investment in a biomass technology company.
- Advising developers of an innovative system for processing and converting landfill gas into natural gas capable of local energy generation or resale.
- Advising on liability stemming from Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)-licensed operations, including liability relating to low-level radioactive waste and NRC and state requirements for the handling, storage and disposal of radioactive materials.
- Advising a utility holding company on the acquisition of geothermal assets.
- Assisting an electric utility transmission provider with multiple revisions to its open access transmission tariff in compliance with successive FERC rulemaking orders.
- Submitting and prosecuting a complaint by a generation and transmission electric cooperative to eliminate duplicative ancillary service charges under RTO tariffs.
- Filing notifications of holding company status and exemption/waiver notifications for electric utility and electric cooperative clients under the Public Utility Holding Company Act of 2005.
- Submitting a renewable energy and energy efficiency plan for a municipal electric utility in compliance with state renewable portfolio standards legislation.
- Assisting a generation and transmission cooperative and its distribution cooperative members in obtaining complementary waivers of purchase and sale obligations under FERC’s regulations concerning qualifying facilities.
- Assisting in obtaining FERC certificates for a dedicated natural gas pipeline to serve a utility generating station.
- Representing electric distribution cooperatives in addressing territorial law matters, including litigation regarding such matters before state utility commissions.
- Advising and representing a financial entity concerning proposed onsite cogeneration projects to be installed throughout Mexico and financed by securitization of agreements between the developer, a Mexican energy services company and the host governmental facilities.
- Counseling a multinational consumer products manufacturer on the nonrecourse project financing of an industrial waste to energy facility, including the amended and restated bond purchase and guaranty term loan facility.
- Investor-owned utilities
- Public power utilities
- Electric cooperatives
- Independent power producers including generators of conventional, hydropower, solar, biomass, biofuels, waste to energy, geothermal and wind power
- Power marketers
- Energy service companies
- Natural gas companies
- Industrial, commercial and institutional end users
- Financial institutions
- Private equity and venture capital investors
Please fill out this form if you'd like to subscribe to any of the electronic newsletters and alerts we publish on developments in many areas of the law, legislative and regulatory changes, and industry trends.
FERC Proposes Cybersecurity Incident Reporting Rule - Privacy & Cybersecurity Update
January 02, 2018