Heidi B. (Goldstein) Friedman
Founder, Firmwide Women's Program
Co-chair, The ESG Collaborative
Heidi is a partner in the firm's Environmental and Product Liability practice groups as well as the co-chair of the firm’s ESG Collaborative. She focuses her practice on environmental, health and safety counseling in business, regulatory and legislative matters, environmental and toxic tort litigation, environmental enforcement actions, site remediation, product stewardship and compliance with environmental regulations. Heidi’s primary focus is partnering with clients to provide business solutions for every environmental issue. Heidi manages many of her client relationships utilizing value based pricing, alternative staffing and legal project management to maximize efficiency and predictability.
Heidi is top ranked in Chambers and Partners (Band 1), and according to the directory, “Heidi Friedman is a heavyweight of the state Bar, where she is admired for her valuable regulatory expertise. She sports an impressive track record for her superb handling of issues including remediation and enforcement actions relating to Superfund sites and other sensitive locations.”
- Negotiating relevant agencies’ voluntary and involuntary orders related to site investigations and remediations conducted under state and federal law.
- Counseling manufacturing companies on environmental audit, compliance and permitting issues under CAA, CWA, RCRA, TSCA, EPCRA, OSHA and state environmental laws.
- Managing agency inspections addressing CAA, CWA, RCRA, TSCA, OSHA and EPCRA.
- Permit compliance management and defense of agency enforcement for exceedances and violations under the CWA and CAA, including for NPDES, Title V and similar permits.
- Providing proactive risk management advice to address environmental, health and safety trends.
- Comprehensive counseling on change management issues including facility expansions or closures.
- Efficiently representing industrial clients at hundreds of Superfund sites in all 50 states, some of which originally were estimated to cost in excess of $100 million.
- Managing high-profile groundwater contamination cases including retaining and overseeing public relations support, environmental consultants and relevant employees to minimize exposure and potential claims.
- Providing a streamline defense to citizens suits filed within the various regulatory programs to provide a long-term facility supported solution with minimal litigation costs.
- Defending a variety of clients in toxic tort actions alleging health effects and property damage claims as well as conspiracy theories, many of which were dismissed on summary judgment.
- Successfully managing matters involving vapor intrusion allegations, including agency negotiations, resident outreach and consultant oversight.
- Successfully resolving state and federal Natural Resource Damage claims that involve multiple federal and state agencies to combine monetary and project based compensation and minimize client exposure.
- Coordinating investigation of presence and remediation of PCBs at a manufacturing facility to minimize employee exposure and manage potential impact.
- Managing asbestos removal projects including risk mitigation for failure to follow proper asbestos removal protocol.
- Defending complex environmental litigation suits that include interpretation of environmental indemnity in contracts as well as common law (i.e., nuisance, trespass, negligence, equitable indemnity, unjust enrichment) and statutory claims.
- Successfully reducing the size of a class in an environmental class action related to alleged river contamination.
- Serving as common counsel and coordinating counsel to large PRP groups at Superfund sites.
- Defending clients served with notices of violations, resulting in significantly reduced penalties.
- Prosecuting and defending state and federal CERCLA cost recovery and contribution actions against government and private parties, and directing third-party PRP pursuits resulting in significant recovery.
- Obtaining full mitigation of penalties associated with state and federal voluntary audit disclosures.
- Assisting with closure of state and federal RCRA sites.
- Defending and counseling clients in connection with the management of product stewardship beginning at the research and development state, including mitigation of liability for claims asserted pursuant to California’s Proposition 65.
- Implementation of best practice on uses of SDSs and conversion of MSDSs to SDSs.
- Interviewed, “You Do You: Charting Your Unique Path to Success and Happiness in the Law,” The Lawyers Edge podcast, March 2022
- Quoted, “Cos. Face Data Collection Challenges Amid ESG Strategy,” Law360, September 2021
- Quoted, “Survey: In-House Counsel Face Significant Challenges with ESG Efforts,” Corporate Counsel, October 2021
- Quoted, “ESG Disclosure Plans Emerge as Corporate Priority, Study Finds,” Bloomberg Law, September 2021
- “An ESG Snapshot, Survey Confirms Companies Are Responding to Increasing Expectations,” Thompson Hine LLP, September 2021
- “A 'Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't' - Type Thing: ESG Disclosures and the Prospect of Future Litigation,” AmLaw Litigation Daily, September 2021
- “It’s Our Big Moment – Environmental Law’s Chance to Shine as the “E” in ESG,” The American College of Environmental Lawyers (ACOEL) Blog, June 2021
- Co-author, "A Time To Reflect: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Impact On Environmental Law," New York Law Journal, March 17, 2021
- “EPA Sets August 31, 2020 Termination Date for COVID-19 Enforcement Policy,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, July 2020
- “Enviro Settlements Offer Solution To Growing Citizen Suit Risk,” Law360, June 2020
- "Post-Covid-19 Environmental Compliance Checklist," Lexis Practice Advisor, May 13, 2020
- “INSIGHT: What I’d Tell My 25-Year-Old Self About a BigLaw Career,” Bloomberg Law, March 2020
- Featured “Spotlight on Flex – Heidi B. (Goldstein) Friedman,” Diversity and Flexibility Alliance, August 2018
- Featured, "Women of Note," Crain’s Cleveland, July 2018
- Quoted in Rainmakers: Born or Bred by Patricia K. Gillette
- “New EPA Technical Guides Confirm the Priority for Vapor Intrusion for all Contaminated Properties,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, July 2015
- Growing Environmental Business with Collaborative Efforts," Of Counsel, May 2015
- “California DTSC Finalizes Green Chemistry Playbook,” Thompson Hine Green Products Update, April 2015
- “High Court Refuses to Extend CERCLA Preemption to State Statutes of Repose,” Thompson Hine Environmental Update, June 2014
- "Female Powerbrokers Q&A: Thompson Hine’s Goldstein," Law360, March 2014
- “Rainmakers are Born Not Made, for the Most Part,” Law360, March 2014
- “Turning Risk into Reward Inside and Out – Embracing Value Based Pricing for Legal Services” By Heidi (Goldstein) Friedman and Steven Greenspan, DRI Winter 2013
- "Building a Successful Women's Initiative – How We Did It," Law Firm Partnership & Benefits Report, August 2010.
- Co-author, "How to Avoid Litigation Risks from Greening Your Products," GreenBiz.com, May 2010
- Co-author, "Risks And Rewards Of Greening Your Product," Environmental Law360 and Product Liability Law360, September 2009
- "Shining the Spotlight," Insight into The Women's Initiative at Thompson Hine LLP, Women Legal Magazine, March to May 2009
- "The Threat of Vapor Intrusion," Scrap magazine, July/August 2008
- "Shareholders Beware! When Individual Shareholders May Be Left Holding the Bag for Environmental Liability," Journal of Taxation of Investments, Spring 2007
- "The Next Asbestos? 'Toxic Mold' Lawsuits Are Growing Like a Fungus," Insurance Insight, September 2002
- "What Owners Need to Know About Mold Litigation," HPAC Engineering, September 2002
- Co-author (with Keely O'Bryan), "Toxic Mold Grows as Cause for Complaints," Crain's Cleveland Business, October 2001
- Co-author (with Heather Austin), "Complex Regs Keeping Many From Cleaning Up Brownfields," Crain's Cleveland Business, April 2001
- "Bush, Gore Hold Separate Environmental Agendas," Crain's Cleveland Business, October 2000
- "Preventing a Toxic Tort Suit," Environmental Compliance Advisor, May 1998
- "Chance v. BP Chem., Inc.: Changing Ohio," Cleveland State Law Review, Spring 1997
- Moderator, “Yes! Lawyers Can (and Must) Be Trusted ESG Advisors to the Business,” DRI Corporate Counsel Roundtable, October 6, 2021
- "Insights on Environmental Shifts Under the Biden Administration,” Thompson Hine Webinar, January 2021
- "A Special Tribute: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Impact on the Legal Profession and Environmental Law," Thompson Hine Environmental L.A.W.S. Podcast, November 2020
- “Operating a Construction Site Under the New Normal – Environmental Best Practices,” American General Contractor’s (AGC) Annual Meeting, July 2020
- “Environmental Compliance in a COVID-19 World: Best Practices and Risk Mitigation Strategies,” Thompson Hine Webinar, June 2020
- “Just Ask (For Business)!” American Bar Association, 2016 Section of Litigation Annual Conference, Speaker, April 2016
- “Rainmakers Workshop,” 2016 DRI Women in the Law Seminar, Facilitator February 2016
- Panel Member, “Rainmakers: Born or Bred?” Women in the Section of Litigation, American Bar Association, November 2015
- “Reducing your EHS Risk under Standing EPA and OSHA Enforcement Priorities,” Thompson Hine Chemical Industry General Counsel Symposium, Moderator, October 2015
- “Legal Project Management Decoded,” 2015 DRI Women in the Law Seminar, Presenter, February 2015
- “Digesting a New Tort: Recipe for Managing Cases and Costs When Defending Claims of Exposure to Chemicals in Food,” DRI Corporate Counsel Roundtable, January 2014
- Panel member, "Strategic Partners: Women in the General Counsel and Senior Leadership Roles," Case Western Reserve University, School of Law Lecture Series, October 2012
- Chair and moderator, ARK National Conference, 2012
- Conference chairperson; moderator, "How to Network Without Playing Golf," Women Legal 2012 Conference, June 2012
- "Women Helping Women: Leveraging the Value of Women's Affinity Groups Beyond Networking and Mentoring," Ark Group Women Legal Conference, June 2011
- "An Insider's View of Life in the Corporate Wing," DRI Sharing Success Seminar, February 2011
- "The Sea Change in Environmental Health and Safety," Goodrich Corporation Global EH&S Conference, February 2011
- "Don't Pull Your Response Out of Thin Air: How to Manage All Aspects of Vapor Intrusion," DRI Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Seminar, March 2010
- "It's Not Easy Being Green: The Legal Pitfalls Associated with "Green" Products and "Green" Buildings," Adhesive and Sealant Council Conference, July 2009
- "The Changing Climate of Global Warming Litigation in the United States," webinar jointly sponsored with the Gowlings firm (Canada) and Burges Salmon (U.K.), April 2008
- "Superfund: Thompson Hine's Goldstein discusses implications of Supreme Court decision," guest, E&ETV's OnPoint, June 2007
- "Trends in Environmental Litigation," Gowlings Year in Review Seminar, November 2005
- Co-chair, "Spotlight On Women: Advise and Protect: Your Role as Corporate Guardian," Thompson Hine LLP Seminar, April 2005
- "Hot Topics in CERCLA and RCRA and an Update on VAP," Cleveland Bar Association, March 2001
- "The 'Growing' Impact of Mold Litigation on the Insurance Industry," Omniclean Seminar, March 2002
- "'How Super Is It?' The Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act," Ohio Bar Association, May, 2002
- "Terror Toxins and Trophy Projects: The New World View of Preparedness," International Conference of Shopping Centers, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana Retail Development and Law Symposium, June 2002
- "Mold Over Bagels: Managing Risks Arising From Toxic Mold in Buildings," Cleveland, Ohio, May 2002 and Columbus, Ohio, July 2002
- "Managing Risks Arising From Toxic Mold in Buildings," ACCA Seminar, July 2002
- "Welcome to the Mold Litigation Party: B.Y.O.C. – Bring Your Own Checkbook," AIG Environmental Seminar, November 2002
- "Toxic Mold: Is It Really A Growing Concern for You and Your Clients?", Cleveland Bar Association, October 2003
- Named recipient of the "2021 Presidents Award," by IADC
- Participant, Stakeholder Sessions for the EPA’s Superfund Task Force Final Report, June-August 2020. Provided recommendations and comments to EPA recommendations and engaged in dialogue with EPA officials responsible for administrating the report.
- Fellow, The American College of Environmental Lawyers
- Founder, IADC Women's Initiative-The Empowerment Collaborative
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Natural Resources & Environment, Ohio (Band 1), 2007-2021
- Cleveland YWCA Woman of Achievement recipient, 2019
- Crain's Cleveland Business, 2018 Women of Note recipient
- Selected as an Acritas Star, a “client-nominated, stand-out lawyer”
- Delegate, ABA Commission on Women in the Profession
- National Diversity Council's 2016 Ohio Leadership Excellence Award recipient
- Listed in Who's Who Legal USA: Environmental, 2014-2016
- DRI Nominating Committee 2013 – Selected out of 20,000 members to select Executive Committee and Board members
- Named 2012 Recipient of "Albert Parnell Outstanding Program Chair Award," by DRI
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2005 to 2022 for Environmental Law, Litigation-Environmental, and Natural Resources Law
- Listed in Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Environmental & Energy Lawyers, Environmental Litigation, 2021
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list, 2005-2009 and 2011-2022
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list as one of the top 25 female lawyers in Cleveland, 2008, 2020-2021
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list as one of the top 50 female lawyers in Ohio, 2008 and 2021
- Cleveland Bar Association, Women Who Make a Difference Award Recipient, 2015
- Recognized in the article "Young Bosses Define Themselves Without Numbers," July 2005, The Plain Dealer
- Cleveland YWCA Women of Professional Excellence Award recipient, 2005
- American College of Environmental Lawyers, Member (2017-present); Secretary of the Foundation, (2021-present)
- The Foundation of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Board of Directors (2022)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) (invitation only), Member (2010-present); Membership Committee (2018-present); Vice President of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, The Environmental Committee; Vice President of Member Engagement, The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee; Vice Chair of Programming, The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
- Chair, The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee, IADC
- Founder, the Empowerment Collaborative, an initiative to support the female members of IADC
- DRI Regulatory/Transactional Focus Group Membership Initiative, Chair (2018-present)
- DRI Women in the Law Section, Chair (2015-2017); Vice Chair (2014-2015); Seminar Chair (2012)
- DRI Climate Change Litigation Task Force, Founding Member
- American Bar Association, Commission on Women in the Law, DRI Women in the Law Liaison
- In Counsel with Women
- Ohio State Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law Alumni Committee
- University of Texas, Women in the Law Consortium (invitation only)
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Bellefaire Jewish Children’s Bureau, Board of Directors
- The Bellflower Center for Prevention of Child Abuse, Former Board of Trustees
- Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center, Former Board of Trustees
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Great Strides Walkathon, Executive Committee
- YWCA, The Circle, Benefit to Support Nurturing Independence and Aspirations (NIA), Program for women aging out of foster care, Co-Chair, (2017); Committee Member, (2019)
- Shaker Launch House, Host Committee
- College Now Bag Lady Luncheon, Host Committee
- DirectWomen Honoree Committee, (2017-present)
March 02, 2022
February 03, 2022
October 01, 2021
September 30, 2021
September 30, 2021
September 28, 2021
New Thompson Hine Survey-Based Report Reveals Trends in Corporate Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Initiatives - As new regulation looms and scrutiny increases on all sides, corporate survey reveals significant progress in terms of ESG program implementation—but much uncertainty remains
September 28, 2021
August 18, 2021
Blog: It’s Our Big Moment – Environmental Law’s Chance to Shine as the “E” in ESGThe American College of Environmental Lawyers (ACOEL)
June 30, 2021
A Time To Reflect: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Impact on Environmental LawNew York Law Journal
March 17, 2021
June 18, 2020
Post-Covid-19 Environmental Compliance ChecklistLexis Practice Advisor
May 13, 2020
March 10, 2020
December 01, 2021