The following is a sample of our experience in government contract matters:
- Participating in due diligence activities related to the acquisition and divestiture of government contractors and their businesses, including the evaluation of contract portfolios, negotiation of agreement terms and conditions, and analysis of regulatory compliance issues.
- Representing a large defense contractor before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals in its appeal of a certified claim for labor costs incurred in connection with an aircraft maintenance contract.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company before the SBA in size determination proceedings arising from a request for a small business waiver of a prescription drug fee in connection with the review of a human drug application.
- Representing an information technology provider in multiple claims arising from Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) “software as a service” contracts, including the successful settlement of a multimillion-dollar claim.
- Counseling contractors on performance of federal agency contracts and grant agreements for biomedical and pharmaceutical research and development activities, including those awarded by the NIH and BARDA.
- Assisting a defense contractor in securing the lifting of an agency suspension of contracting activities, including negotiating an administrative agreement, resolving civil and criminal proceedings, and implementing a corporate compliance program.
- Negotiating computer software license agreements with federal agency customers on behalf of multiple clients, including a patient care system provider, a satellite telemetry services provider and an information technology service provider.
- Advising federally funded research and development centers on contract administration and fiscal law requirements.
- Counseling clients on matters relating to FOCI, including preparing FOCI action plans arising from investment in contractors and negotiating approval of the action plans by the Defense Security Service.
- Assisting a geospatial information provider with receipt of venture capital funding and stock issuance, including conducting due diligence involving intellectual property rights contained in government contracts.
- Representing a major defense contractor before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals in its appeal of a claim involving German social taxes.
- Developing an organizational conflict of interest avoidance and mitigation plan for a major defense contractor in connection with a $500 million spectrum monitoring contract.
- Assisting in the creation of a federal government subsidiary for a large software provider supporting the sale of software and services to government agencies.
- Defending a major defense contractor in an arbitration involving claims for commission payments related to the sale of radar equipment under the Foreign Military Sales program.
- Representing a utility company in spent nuclear fuel litigation before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Representing a large defense contractor in its acquisition of a professional services company, including novation of existing government contracts to the acquiring company.
- Assisting a large telecommunications provider in negotiating a GSA federal supply services contract.
- Negotiating an energy company’s contract with the DoD for the generation and supply of renewable energy.
- Defending a large ship repair company before the GAO in its protest of the award of a multimillion-dollar ship repair contract.
- Creating a government contract subsidiary for a large IT company for the sale of products and services.
- Representing a large defense contractor in its acquisition of a technology company, including novation of existing government contracts to the acquiring company.
- Assisting a geospatial information provider with receipt of venture capital funding and stock issuance, including conducting due diligence involving intellectual property rights conceived during performance of various government contracts and grants.
- Representing the buyer in the valuation of a smaller technology company’s government contract portfolio.
- Assisting a large software developer in acquiring small business software and services companies by performing due diligence on government contract assets.
- Creating a federal government contract subsidiary for a large software company for the sale of products and services.
- Representing a large defense contractor in resolving post-integration issues related to its acquisition of a systems engineering and technical assistance contractor, including organizational conflict of interest issues.
- Representing large transportation and security companies in resolving civil false claims allegations, including conducting an internal investigation and negotiating a comprehensive compliance agreement.
- Providing the seller with Hart-Scott-Rodino support for the merger of two large energy companies.
- Representing a renewable energy company in the negotiation and funding of a public-private partnership Power Purchase Agreement between the DoD and a private energy company.
- Negotiating a novation agreement in support of the commercialization of an Ebola vaccine.
- Obtaining a Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) advance agreement on behalf of a merged organization negotiating in accordance with DFARS cost savings rules.
- Negotiating a vaccine contract with BARDA; contract terms reflect risk mitigation and avoidance with the U.S. government.
- Seeking waiver of Bayh-Dole Act’s domestic manufacturing preference.
- Conducting an internal investigation for a software provider in support of the client’s initial public offering.
- Providing National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM) support to a large foreign IP company in connection with its acquisition of a U.S. IP company; drafted necessary paperwork for FOCI Analytic Division to gain approval of the transaction.
- Assisting client in the sale of its domain name.
- Performing due diligence in support of mergers and initial public offerings.
- Providing compliance training for government contracting clients.
Litigation & Claims Resolution Matters
- Representing a client before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims in spent nuclear fuel litigation; recovered more than $300 million for the client.
- Handling several cases before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, including more than $1 billion in claims against the United States.
- Representing a client in a patent infringement case; recovered over $10 million for the government’s infringement of the client’s mine detection patent.
- Representing a cloud computing company in resolving a multimillion-dollar contract dispute.
- Representing a large defense contractor in an international arbitration to resolve a multimillion-dollar dispute with a Taiwanese defense contractor under the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) procedures.
- Representing the owner of a U.S.-flagged transport vessel before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in a multimillion-dollar insurance dispute.
- Representing a large defense security company in a civil false claims action and collective action litigation.
- Representing a large defense company before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals in connection with claims stemming from offshore contracting during the Iraq War.
- Representing a large defense security company in a bid protest related to procurement in Afghanistan.
- As a licensed mediator, mediating a multimillion-dollar settlement of a contract dispute between a prime contractor and a subcontractor.
- Resolving more than 30 contract appeals stemming from contractor participation in U.S. operations in the Middle East.
- Representing a defense IT company in a DCAA audit dispute before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals (ASBCA).
- Representing a real estate management company in a leasing dispute with the VA.
- Representing clients in pre- and post-award protests before U.S. government agencies, the GAO and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Winning a sustained GAO decision for a major NASA contractor in a successful protest related to a $1.7 billion 10-year NASA program involving biomedical services supporting human spaceflight, setting precedent in the area of corporate transactions in proposal evaluations.
- Representing a major IT firm in a successful sustained GAO protest involving Air Force awards for network operations at locations worldwide (Network Centric Solutions–2) (Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (ID/IQ) awards with a maximum value of $960 million).
- Representing a major consulting firm in a multiyear Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)investigation and high-profile litigation concerning teaming and subcontractor arrangements in dozens of government contracts with the DoD, GSA Schedule program and multiple civilian agencies, resulting in a successful settlement.
- Representing a major government contractor in Department of Justice investigations arising from performance in foreign nations and war zones during the Iraq War.
- Representing a major consulting firm challenging technical evaluations in a DoD multiple-award competition for intelligence analysis services; caused the agency to make an additional award to the firm for a contract with a $5.6 billion contract ceiling.
- Representing a major IT hardware company challenging its exclusion from the competitive range, causing the U.S. Army to restore the company to the competitive range and initiate new discussions in the Army’s ITES-3 competition with a $5 billion contract ceiling.
- Securing a GAO decision sustaining the protest for a major IT solutions company, challenging the evaluation of its technical demonstration by the DISA.
- Securing a GAO decision sustaining the protest for a major helicopter flight services company, challenging the technical qualifications of an awardee’s proposal.
- Securing a GAO decision sustaining the protest for a small scientific consulting business, challenging a sole source award by the Department of Energy.
- As Government Contracts Demand Hits Fever Pitch, Thompson Hine Recruits High-Profile DC Lawyer,
The National Law Journal, November 17, 2021
- 2022 Defense Bills Propel Recent Acquisition Policy Trends,
Law360, October 27, 2021
- Biden wants review of IT exemption in Buy American law,
TechTarget, February 8, 2021
- DOJ’s False Claims Act Recoveries in Fiscal Years 2020 and 2019,
Pratt’s Government Contracting Law Report, February 1, 2021
- Defense Department Guidance for Government Contractors on Additional COVID-19-Related Costs,
Pratt’s Government Contracting Law Report, December 23, 2020
- Eight Thompson Hine Lawyers Recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers,
Thompson Hine LLP, April 17, 2020
- Defense Contracting Law Developments From 2019,
Law360, January 10, 2020
- A Midyear Look At DOD Government Contract Law Changes,
–Law360, July 22, 2019
- Eight Thompson Hine Lawyers Recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, May 13, 2019
- Developments Affecting DOD Bid Protests,
The Government Contractor, April 17, 2019