A sampling of William’s experience includes:
- Representing corporations, entrepreneurs, individual and startups with regard to the preparation and prosecution of patent applications with a focus on securing patent protection in a timely, cost-effective manner to protect technical innovations.
- Developing worldwide strategies for protecting intellectual property assets and portfolios.
- Managing global patent portfolios or portfolio segments for multinational corporations.
- Serves as outside U.S. patent counsel for an $8 billion travel technology company.
- Serves as outside U.S. patent counsel for a $6 billion semiconductor foundry.
- Serves as outside U.S. patent counsel for a division of a
$9 billion specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Procuring over 700 U.S. patents protecting various technical innovations developed by a high technology client, including securing protection for technologies covering core inventions.
- Responding to several thousand domestic and foreign Office Actions.
- Prosecuting to grant over one thousand U.S. patents and their foreign equivalents.
- Advising clients on effective replies to cease-and-desist letters.
- Preparing broadening reissue and continuation reissue applications to extend the scope of client patent protection.
- “USPTO Unveils New Web-Based Intellectual Property Marketplace Platform,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 2020
- “RIM v. NTP, Yet Again: BlackBerry’s ill-fated patent dispute with NTP takes a final turn,” IEEE Spectrum, July 2010
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018 to 2023 for Patent Law and Technology Law
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- International Trademark Association
- Northern Kentucky University Research Foundation, Board of Directors, 2016-2019
- All Ohio Annual Institute on Intellectual Property, Planning Committee, 2015-2016
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., 1999, cum laude,
Tennessee Law Review
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Ph.D., 1986
- Emory and Henry College, B.S., 1980, magna cum laude
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office