Financial Services Litigation
- Representing financial institutions and mortgage servicers at the trial court level and on appeal in cases arising under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and Truth in Lending Act.
- Defending bank in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty action seeking $4 million for claims relating to time deposit accounts held in an Individual Retirement Account.
- Representing financial institution in class action lawsuit brought under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Defending bank in breach of contract action alleging improper escheatment of and failure to pay interest on certificate of deposit accounts.
- Defending financial institution in litigation involving breach of contract and fraudulent inducement claims relating to denial of loan.
- Successfully enforcing arbitration agreements in a host of lawsuits filed against financial institutions.
- Defending employers in discrimination, wrongful discharge, and retaliation litigation.
- Securing a dismissal in breach of contract action involving a non-solicitation clause in a home care services contract.
- Representing employer in lawsuit filed by a competitor alleging claims for breach of restrictive covenants, misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference, and unfair competition in connection with hiring practices.
Complex Contract and Business Disputes
- Defending insurance carrier in stop-loss insurance litigation in federal and state courts involving breach of contract and bad faith claims.
- Defending business owner in litigation involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets, conversion, unjust enrichment, fraudulent misrepresentation, and tortious interference claims arising from owner’s departure from business.
- Representing commercial landlord in lease disputes and eviction proceedings involving lease defaults, non-payment of rent, holdover tenants, tenant allowances and tenant improvements, common area maintenance charges, and other breach of lease issues.
- Defending contractor in Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) litigation involving claims by a labor union for unpaid fringe benefit contributions under alter ego and joint employer theories of liability.
- Representing medical practice and its president in lawsuit alleging breach of an asset purchase agreement following the sale of the practice.
- Defending logistics company in litigation involving federal and state law claims for copyright infringement and unfair competition relating to the use of logistics software.
- Obtaining a dismissal in a complex adversary proceeding alleging fraudulent transfer and avoidance claims.
- Representing real estate developers in construction litigation involving claims that an insurer breached its duty to defend and indemnify under a commercial general liability policy.
Product Liability Litigation
- Defending automobile manufacturer against design, manufacturing, and warning defect claims relating to seat, seatback, and occupant restraint system.
- Defending commercial food equipment manufacturer in litigation involving design, manufacturing, and warning defect claims.
- Serving on national defense counsel team in product liability cases throughout the country involving personal injuries and deaths allegedly caused by a food thickening product.
- “New Federal Law Restricts Enforcement of Arbitration Agreements for Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Claims,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, March 2022
- Co-author, “Over Prepare, Then Go with the Flow: Legal Counsel Best Practices in Premediation Preparation,” Willamette Insights, October 2017
- Co-author, “A Primer on ‘Bad Faith’ in Federal Removal Jurisdiction,” Law360, October 2014
- Note, “Drowning in the Wake of Concepcion: How to Protect Small Claims Plaintiffs Bound By Mandatory Arbitration Agreements,” Ohio State Law Journal, 2012
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list, 2022, 2023
- Received a 2022 and 2023 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Banking and Finance, and Product Liability Litigation-Defendants; included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Commercial Litigation and Litigation-Banking and Finance
- Recipient of the 2019 Leadership Columbus Walk the Talk Award
- CALI Awards for Excellence in Legal Research, Legal Writing and Torts
- Ernest E. Karam Book Award for Excellence in Legal Research and Writing
- Recipient of John E. Hallen Memorial Award for highest performance in Torts
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2019
- Mentoring and More @ Moritz, Mentor
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Downtown Residents’ Association of Columbus
- Columbus Sole, Volunteer
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude,
articles editor, Ohio State Law Journal
- Miami University, B.S., 2010, magna cum laude,
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio