Carrie A. Shufflebarger
Carrie focuses her practice on intellectual property counseling, prosecution and enforcement, with an emphasis on intellectual property litigation. She has represented clients in disputes in federal trial and appellate courts, before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and before the International Trade Commission. Carrie represents clients of various sizes, ranging from individuals and start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, which span a broad range of industries, including apparel, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, school and office supplies, agricultural equipment, and various service sector industries.
- Successfully represented clients in over 100 trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the United States Patent & Trademark Office Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Manage U.S. trademark enforcement litigation in over a dozen jurisdictions for a medical device manufacturer.
- Defeated motion for preliminary injunction in trademark and trade dress infringement action brought against client in the hardware and home improvement industry.
- Defended clients in copyright infringement and DMCA litigation involving various media.
- Secured victory in patent infringement action after favorable claim construction ruling, affirmed on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Represented client in Section 337 action before the U.S. International Trade Commission.
Intellectual Property Counseling
- Trademark selection and clearance counseling
- U.S. trademark prosecution
- Global trademark portfolio management
- Management of enforcement strategies and informal dispute resolution, including Internet, search engine, and social media misuses
- Domain name management and disputes
- Copyright application, registration, defense, and enforcement
- DMCA take-down notices
- Advertising regulation and review
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers, 2015 to 2019, and Rising Stars in the field of Intellectual Property, 2009 to 2010 and 2012 to 2014
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- 2015 WE Lead Leadership Development Program Class X, member
- Transylvania University Alumni Executive Board, board member, April 2012
- Children's Law Center Inc., board member, May 2011
- 2010 class of Leadership Kentucky, member
- Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber's 2009 C-Change Leadership, Development Program, member
- 2012 Call Program, member
- Panel Moderator, “Diversity and Inclusion Best Practices for Legal Employers,” Kentucky Diversity & Inclusion Summit, April 2015
- Steering Committee, CincyBrand Premiere Branding Conference, 2014, 2016; Panel Moderator “Branding Cincinnati,” April 2016
- Duke Law School Moot Court Board, member, 1997-1999; chair, 1998-1999