Carrie A. Shufflebarger
Carrie focuses her practice on intellectual property counseling, prosecution and enforcement, with an emphasis on intellectual property litigation. She has represented clients in disputes in federal trial and appellate courts, before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and before the International Trade Commission. Carrie represents clients of various sizes, ranging from individuals and start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, which span a broad range of industries, including apparel, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, school and office supplies, agricultural equipment, and various service sector industries.
- Successfully represented clients in over 100 trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the United States Patent & Trademark Office Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Manage U.S. trademark enforcement litigation in over a dozen jurisdictions for a medical device manufacturer.
- Defeated motion for preliminary injunction in trademark and trade dress infringement action brought against client in the hardware and home improvement industry.
- Defended clients in copyright infringement and DMCA litigation involving various media.
- Secured victory in patent infringement action after favorable claim construction ruling, affirmed on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Represented client in Section 337 action before the U.S. International Trade Commission.
- Secured full defense verdict for a well-known sporting goods manufacturer in a trademark infringement jury trial.
Intellectual Property Counseling
- Trademark selection and clearance counseling
- U.S. trademark prosecution
- Global trademark portfolio management
- Management of enforcement strategies and informal dispute resolution, including Internet, search engine, and social media misuses
- Domain name management and disputes
- Copyright application, registration, defense, and enforcement
- DMCA take-down notices
- Advertising regulation and review
- "U.S. Court of Appeals Weighs in on Hemp-Derived Delta-8 THC Classification," Thompson Hine Cannabis Practice Update, May 2022
- "Ignorance of the Law Is an Excuse: Supreme Court Holds a Copyright Registration Containing Inaccurate Information Can Be Valid," Thompson Hine Intellectual Property Update, March 2022
- “Supreme Court Opines on Challenging Trademark Registration,” Thompson Hine Intellectual Property Update, March 2015
- Co-presenter, "Copyright & Trademark: What You Need To Know," Thompson Hine Startups Streamlined Podcast Series, May 2022
- Presenter, "Protecting Your Intellectual Property - Beware the Trolls," Thompson Hine Investment Management Coffee Chat webinar series, May 2021
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021, 2022 for Litigation-Intellectual Property and Trademark Law
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list, 2015-2022
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list, 2009-2010, 2012-2014
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- 2021 Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber's Building Cultural Competence Program, member
- 2015 WE Lead Leadership Development Program Class X, member
- Transylvania University Alumni Executive Board, board member, April 2012
- Children's Law Center Inc., board member, May 2011
- 2010 class of Leadership Kentucky, member
- Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber's 2009 C-Change Leadership, Development Program, member
- 2012 Call Program, member
- Panel Moderator, “Diversity and Inclusion Best Practices for Legal Employers,” Kentucky Diversity & Inclusion Summit, April 2015
- Steering Committee, CincyBrand Premiere Branding Conference, 2014, 2016; Panel Moderator “Branding Cincinnati,” April 2016
- Duke Law School Moot Court Board, member, 1997-1999; chair, 1998-1999