- Managing copyright and trademark portfolios for leading industry brands covering more than 100 countries.
- Settling more than 50 domestic and international trademark and copyright enforcement actions since 2013.
- Compelling transfer of domain names that infringed upon clients’ trademark rights by utilizing the UDRP complaint process at the WIPO, including a January 2013 case involving an internationally known celebrity’s name, which had been infringed upon by the subject domain name holder for more than 15 years.
- Representing clients in trademark registration opposition and cancellation proceedings and copyright enforcement actions throughout the world, including in Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Ecuador, the European Union, Germany, Mexico, Paraguay, Taiwan, Turkey and the United States.
- Representing clients in complex global trademark filing strategies, many of which focus on strategically staged filings to spread out costs over several years.
- Representing clients in the assertion and defense of claims for trademark and/or trade dress infringement.
- Advising businesses in connection with intellectual property issues arising in the context of asset purchases, mergers, acquisitions and other business transactions.
- Developing intellectual property protection programs and strategies for businesses.
- Developing internal procedures for reducing legal costs for global copyright and trademark portfolios.
- Conducting due diligence and IP audits in acquisition, merger and licensing ventures.
- “CBD Companies Face Class Action Suits After FDA Issues Warnings About CBD Products,” Thompson Hine Cannabis Practice Update, December 2019
- “Federal Trademark Overview for U.S. Cannabis Businesses,” Marijuana Venture Magazine, January 2020
- “Trademark Registration Protection for Global Brand Expansion and for Maximizing Company Goodwill and Asset Valuations,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2019
- Creator and author of Trademark Titan Blog: www.TrademarkTitan.com
- Co-presenter, “Legal Issues Impacting the Cannabis Industry,” Thompson Hine webinar, April 29, 2021
- “U.S. and International Trademark Seminar: What clients need to know for U.S. and global brand expansion,” Dayton Bar Association
- “Brand Name Selection and Protection: Client Conversations | Marketer’s Perspective,” Dayton Bar Association
- “Trademark Clearance and the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS),” Dayton Bar Association
- “U.S. and International Trademark Seminar: What you need to know for U.S. and global brand expansion,” Law Offices of Thompson Hine LLP
- “Protecting Your Brands and Trademarks Internationally: Is Your Company Prepared for Global Expansion?” International Trade Association of Southwest Ohio
- “The Configuration Design IP Trifecta; Copyrights, Trade Dress and Design Patents,” Dayton Intellectual Property Association
- “Global Trademark Selection and Protection,” Dayton Intellectual Property Association
- “Copyright Fair Use in the Age of Social Media,” New Media Cincinnati
- “Brand Protection in the Age of Social Media,” American Marketing Association
- “Trademark Clearance and the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS),” American Marketing Association
- “Brand Protection in the Social Media Age,” SummitUp 2009 – A Social Media Confab, Wright State University
- “Protecting Your Trademarks: An Essential Part of the Marketing Plan,” American Marketing Association
- “Trademark Protection in the European Union,” Maine International Trade Center
- “Trademarks: How to Select & Protect Valuable Company Assets,” University of Southern Maine
- World Trademark Review 1000 — The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, 2018 – 2022
- International Trademark Association, member
- International Trademark Association, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Subcommittee member, 2009–2013
- International Trade Association of Southwest Ohio, board member, 2012-present
- Maine Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- Dayton Bar Association
- YMCA of Greater Dayton, board member, 2011 to 2013
- YMCA, co-chair for Strong Kids Campaign, 2012 to 2013
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, J.D., 1999
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, M.I.P., 1999
- Saint Michael's College, B.S., 1993,
- Champlain College, A.S., 1990,
Marketing & Advertising
Select a filter
- CBD Companies Face Class Action Suits After FDA Issues Warnings About CBD Products,
Cannabis Practice Update, December 11, 2019
- Federal Trademark Overview for U.S. Cannabis Businesses,
–Marijuana Venture, December 4, 2019
- Business Law Update – Spring 2019,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, May 1, 2019