Merger Control/Antitrust Investigations
- On secondment as in-house competition counsel, represented global power management company in connection with Second Request investigation of $3.3 billion merger.
- Represented global motion-and-control technologies manufacturer in connection with HSR filing and subsequent DOJ antitrust investigation of $4.3 billion merger.
- Represented manufacturer of equipment and components for oil-and-gas industry in connection with Second Request investigation of $2.5 billion merger.
- Represented hardware distributor in FTC’s investigation of its acquisition of self-service key duplication kiosk business.
- Helped guide rubber manufacturer in sale of rubber track plant to military contractor through inquiry from DOJ and DOD.
- Represented scrap metal company in its purchase by competitor and related inquiry from DOJ.
- Regularly prepare HSR filings and counsel clients (including manufacturing companies, investors and private equity funds) regarding HSR reportability, exemptions and risk-sharing and related provisions in merger and purchase agreements.
- Advised European clients on U.S. antitrust risks posed by proposed mergers and acquisitions (including HSR compliance), as well as joint ventures and other competitor collaborations.
- Advised investment funds concerning antitrust issues associated with common ownership of competing portfolio companies.
- Advised clients, including dental imaging provider and aftermarket auto parts distributor, regarding antitrust risks associated with participation in group purchasing organizations.
- Advised manufacturers regarding exclusive supply and distribution arrangements
Antitrust, Class Action and Other Complex Litigation
- Represent Mission Essential, a defense and intelligence services provider, in antitrust class action alleging unlawful no-poach agreement between and among defense intelligence contractors.
- Represent Fortune 500 company in litigation concerning alleged breach of distribution agreement and fraud.
- Represented specialty chemical manufacturer in antitrust price-fixing class action and follow-on litigation commenced under the False Claims Act.
- Successfully defended financial institution in class action alleging failure to timely record mortgage satisfactions, including several appeals.
- Successfully litigated and settled litigation on behalf of steel manufacturer against coal supplier for breach of contract.
- Won arbitration award on behalf of floor care manufacturer against terminated dealer.
- Part of team that obtained summary judgment on behalf of composite deck manufacturer in class action alleging product defects and breach of warranty.
- Part of team that obtained dismissal of complaint against national concert promoter commenced by concert venue alleging tortious interference and breach of contract.
- Obtained dismissal of tortious interference claims by cell phone store owner against national wireless carrier.
- Successfully obtained temporary restraining order and preliminary injunctive relief on behalf of national financial institution to freeze assets of massive fraud.
- Successfully obtained judgment after bench trial against former employee of polymer manufacturer for breach of noncompete agreement and breach of duty of loyalty.
- Represented global manufacturer in litigation commenced by terminated dealer and obtained favorable settlement.
- Prepared writ of certiorari to U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of manufacturer of industrial vehicles concerning constitutionality of dealer statute.
Government Enforcement/Investigations/White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Represented architect through investigation and jury trial of fraud and extortion charges in federal court.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in internal investigation of fatal incident at manufacturing facility.
- Represented physical therapists in False Claims Act investigation.
- Part of team that won reversal of federal hate crimes conviction before U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Argued appeals before U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit on behalf of individuals convicted of crimes.
- Successfully represented several tenants in eviction disputes.
- “FTC Proposes Noncompete Ban,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, January 2023
- Co-author, “No-Poach Plea Hiccups Point To DOJ’s Unsound Theory,” Law360, October 2022
- “House Passes Merger Filing Fee Modernization Act,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, October 2022
- “Antitrust and ESG Make Strange Bedfellows,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2022
- “Is the Biden Administration Taking Antitrust Enforcement Back to the Future?” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2022
- Co-author, “Giving Effect to the Remedy,” Global Competition Review’s Merger Remedies Guide (4th Edition), November 2021
- “Selling Through Dealers – Antitrust Guidelines for Manufacturers,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Guidelines, April 2021
- “Supreme Court Rules FTC Cannot Obtain Equitable Monetary Relief Directly in Court,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, April 2021
- “Proposed Amendment to HSR Rules Would Increase Filing Obligations for Private Equity Funds,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2021
- “Antitrust Agencies Suspend Early Termination – Temporary or Indefinite?” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, February 2021
- “HSR Filing Thresholds Decrease in 2021,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, February 2021
- “Justice Department Issues First Update to Antitrust Merger Remedies Guidance in a Decade,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, September 2020
- “New Vertical Merger Guidelines Face Bipartisan Calls for Stronger Antitrust Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2020
- “FTC and DOJ Announce Changes to Civil Merger Review Process During COVID-19 Pandemic, Including Changes to HSR Early Termination Procedure,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- “FTC and DOJ Announce Expedited Procedure to Provide Antitrust Guidance to Businesses Responding to COVID-19 Pandemic,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- “FTC Reiterates Rule Against HSR Avoidance Devices, Imposes Substantial Fines,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2020
- “Antitrust Agencies Release New Vertical Merger Guidelines,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, January 2020
- Co-author, “Beyond the Mob: ‘Varsity Blues’ and DOJ’s Expanding Use of RICO to Prosecute White-Collar Crime,” Criminal Justice, American Bar Association, Fall 2019
- “Time to Dust Off Your Antitrust Compliance Efforts? Major DOJ Policy Shift Designed to Reward Companies that Do,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, July 2019
- “Generic Drugs: Biggest Price-Fixing Case Ever?,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, March 2019
- “The Common-Interest Doctrine: Preserving the Attorney-Client Privilege in M&A Deals,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2017
- “Antitrust Agencies’ Annual HSR Report Reveals Increases in Filings, Scrutiny of Large Deals & Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Trade Regulation Update, October 2016
- “Penalty for HSR Violations More Than Doubled,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Trade Regulation Update, August 2016
- “U.S. Supreme Court: A Bare Technical Violation of Statute Insufficient to Demonstrate Standing,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, May 2016
- “Congress Passes Federal Trade Secret Law,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Trade Regulation Update, April 2016
- “Antitrust Agencies’ Merger Review Data Demonstrate More Filings, Bigger Deals and Continued Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Trade Regulation Update, September 2015
- “Small Deals Spurring Big Antitrust Problems,” The Deal.com, December 2014
- Co-presenter, “Presidential Executive Order Targets Changes in Antitrust Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Competition Cafe Podcast Series, April 2022
- Received a 2022 and 2023 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Commercial Litigation and Litigation-Antitrust; included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Commercial Litigation
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list, 2019-2021
- Champion and Best Final Round Advocate, Mackenzie Hughes Edmund H. Lewis Appellate Competition
- Excellence Award, New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards: Appellate Advocacy, Constitutional Law, Constitutional-Criminal Procedure, Evidence and Legal Writing
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- Counsel to the Section Chair
- Associate Editor, Antitrust Law Journal
- Federal Bar Association, Northern Ohio Chapter
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Northern Ohio Chapter, Young Professionals Board
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 2010, magna cum laude,
Order of the Coif; Order of Barristers; lead articles editor, Syracuse Law Review
- Ohio University, B.S., 2006
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- FTC Proposes Noncompete Ban,
Labor & Employment @lert, January 6, 2023
- House Passes Merger Filing Fee Modernization Act,
Antitrust Law Update, October 4, 2022
- Business Law Update – Summer 2022,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, September 8, 2022
- Antitrust and ESG Make Strange Bedfellows,
Business Law Update – Summer 2022, September 7, 2022
- DOJ Set to Obtain First Antitrust Conviction in “No-Poach” Case,
Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, September 6, 2022
- Business Law Update – Winter 2022,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, March 7, 2022
- FTC Announces Increases to HSR Filing Thresholds for 2022,
Antitrust Law Update, January 24, 2022
- Thompson Hine Elects Six New Partners,
Thompson Hine LLP, January 13, 2022
- Thompson Hine Attorneys Joshua L. Shapiro and Mark R. Butscha, Jr. Author Chapter in Global Competition Review’s Merger Remedies Guide,
Thompson Hine LLP, November 11, 2021
- FTC Adjusts Merger Review Due to “Tidal Wave” in Merger Filings,
Antitrust Update, August 4, 2021