Cori R. Haper
Dayton Chair, Diversity & Inclusion Initiative
Cori is a partner in the firm's Corporate Transactions & Securities and Health Care practice groups.
Cori focuses her practice on representing hospitals, medical centers, clinical laboratories, federally qualified health centers, imaging facilities, physician practices, home health agencies, skilled nursing facilities, retail and institutional pharmacies, and other business entities, on a wide array of business issues including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and affiliations, contract negotiation, and governance. She also counsels her clients on federal and state regulatory compliance matters including the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law, the False Claims Act, billing investigations and repayments, Medicare provider/supplier revocations, medical staff issues and peer review, HIPAA, EMTALA, state health care laws, hospital-physician contracting, licensure and change in ownership requirements, clinical integration and managed care.
Cori previously served as associate general counsel at a large health care system in Dayton, Ohio, providing legal support to hospitals and physician groups.
Cori is an enthusiastic supporter of the firm's innovative pricing and service delivery models, helping clients better budget for their legal needs while receiving a high level of client service. As part of her commitment to exceptional client service, Cori works with clients to implement alternative pricing structures and establish service delivery criteria that are unique to the needs of each client, such as promptly returning telephone calls and establishing cycle times and deadlines for completion of projects, regardless of the size or complexity.
- Serving as in-house counsel of a large health care system and counseling on a wide variety of federal and state law compliance issues.
- Representing buyers and seller in merger and acquisition transactions.
- Representing physicians in sale of practice and employment transactions with hospital systems.
- Representing health care providers in affiliation arrangements with other providers.
- Representing hospital in formation of physician hospital organization.
- Representing physician in appeal of the revocation of Medicare billing privileges.
- Representing physician groups in the buy-out of physician owners.
- Leading the divestiture of several hospital-owned clinics to a federally qualified health center.
- Representing a kidney dialysis business in the sale of the business to a national provider.
- Representing health care providers on compliance with 340B prescription drug program.
Counseling hospitals, physician groups and other health care providers on Stark, Anti-Kickback, and federal health care program fraud and abuse compliance.
- Counseling for-profit and non-profit companies on business and governance issues.
- Advising on health care distribution and sales representative transactions.
- Advising institutional pharmacies on regulatory issues associated with mergers and acquisitions.
- Advising mental health and behavioral health care providers on policies, compliance, and contracting.
- “New Stark Law Rules Proposed,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, November 2019
- "OIG Approves Marketing Program Offered by Technology Company to Health Care Providers," Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, September 2019
- “Ohio Develops Standard Authorization Forms,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, January 2019
- “Considerations for Practicing Telemedicine in Ohio,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, October 2018
- “Federal Government Signals Continued Aggressive Health Care Fraud Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, October 2018
- “Changes to Ohio Laws Governing Advanced Practice Registered Nurses,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, September 2018
- “DOJ Beefs Up Criminal Health Care Fraud Enforcement with Addition of Newark/Philadelphia Strike Force,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, August 2018
- “OIG Releases List of Provider Self-Disclosure Settlements for First Half of 2018,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, July 2018
- “OIG Issues Advisory Opinion on Gainsharing Arrangement Between Physician Group and Medical Center,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, January 2018
- “Permissibility of Electronic Records and Signatures Under the UETA,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2017
- “Health Care Provider Requirements Under Final Nondiscrimination Rules,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, October 2016
- “HIPAA Phase 2 Audit Program,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, April 2016
- “Changes to the Stark Law: Part III,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, March 2016
- “Changes to the Stark Law: Part II,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, February 2016
- “Civil Monetary Penalties Upheld for Violation of the HIPAA Privacy Rule by a Home Health Company,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, February 2016
- “Changes to the Stark Law: Part I,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, February 2016
- “Hospitals Cannot Fire Physicians Based on Peer Review Conduct,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, March 2015
- “De Facto Private Right of Action Under HIPAA: Is Ohio Next?,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, December 2014
- “Hospital Subsidy of Patient Health Insurance Premiums,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, August 2014
- "Ohio Health Care Employers Required to Notify Patients of Termination of Physician's Employment," Thompson Hine Advisory Bulletin, February 2013
- "Final Omnibus HIPAA Rule," Thompson Hine Advisory Bulletin, January 2013
- "Health Care Providers May Disclose Patient Information to Avert Health or Safety Threats," Thompson Hine Advisory Bulletin, January 2013
- "CMS Issues Proposed Rules on Post-Discharge Care Billing Code and DME Face-to-Face Encounters," Thompson Hine Advisory Bulletin, August 2012
- "CMS Selects New Medicare ACOs," Thompson Hine Advisory Bulletin, July 2012
- "Health Care Compliance: Current Issues," Thompson Hine Breakfast Briefing, November 2014
- "Health Care Compliance: Current Issues," Miami Valley MGMA Association, March 2014
- "Navigating the Changes to HIPAA Compliance Under the Final Omnibus Rule," Miami Valley MGMA Association, July 2013
- "Navigating the Changes to HIPAA Compliance Under the Final Omnibus Rule," Thompson Hine Breakfast Briefing, February 21, 2013
- "Health Care Compliance: Current Issues", Thompson Hine Breakfast Briefing, May, 2013
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys
- Dayton Bar Association