Andrew H. Cox
Practice Group Leader, Product Liability Litigation
Andrew is the leader of the Product Liability Litigation practice group. He has defended hundreds of product liability actions in state and federal courts throughout the United States relating to a wide range of consumer and commercial products, and has in-depth experience with commercial food equipment, aviation components, and specialty plastics. Andrew also represents companies as both plaintiffs and defendants in commercial disputes arising from the sale of goods and contracts for product design and manufacturing services, and in contribution and indemnification actions. In addition to representing manufacturers in litigation through trial and appeal, Andrew counsels clients on risk mitigation and avoidance strategies, conducts product liability risk assessments, drafts warnings and product instructions, and advises clients on drafting warranties and commercial terms and conditions.
Commercial & Industrial Products
- Serves as national trial counsel for a manufacturer of commercial kitchen equipment in product liability actions involving meat choppers, meat mixer-grinders, commercial dough mixers, tenderizers, slicers, and other commercial appliances.
- Serves as national trial counsel for a manufacturer of commercial vehicle cabs and chassis used for garbage trucks and other municipal vehicles.
- Represents a manufacturer of industrial hoses and conveyor belts in commercial and product liability actions throughout the United States.
- Defended a manufacturer of aerial work platforms and man-lifts in multiple product liability actions in Ohio.
- Defended a manufacturer of fire extinguishers and commercial fire suppression systems against multiple wrongful death and property damage claims in Ohio.
- Defended manufacturers, installers, and servicers against product liability and negligence claims relating to elevators, escalators, and material lifts.
- Defended a manufacturer of interior wall finish material in product liability actions involving mold-related property damage and business interruption claims arising from construction of hotels and a nursing facility.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial on behalf of a manufacturer of de-icing equipment in a product liability action involving a Cessna 208B aircraft.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial on behalf of a manufacturer of exhaust system components in a wrongful death action arising from a Grumman AA-5 aircraft accident
- Defended a manufacturer of de-icing equipment against claims arising from 29-person fatal crash of EMB-120 Brasilia aircraft, resulting in defense verdict at trial.
- Defended a manufacturer of GPS systems against wrongful death actions arising from a mid-air collision and other general aviation aircraft accidents.
- Represented a manufacturer of jet engine fuel spray nozzles in prosecution of commercial damage claim against supplier of super alloy forgings.
- Prosecuted commercial action on behalf of aviation component-part manufacturer against heat treat provider to recover damages paid in settlement of underlying aircraft product liability suit.
- Defended a manufacturer of landing gear components for C-130 aircraft in commercial dispute, and prosecuted counterclaim.
- Defended commercial action against manufacturer of plastic colorant used to manufacturer an automobile interior component following recall of hundreds of thousands of units.
- Defended commercial action against a manufacturer/seller of PVC compound used to manufacture plumbing valves in wake of nation-wide recall of valves.
- Prosecuted commercial action on behalf of a manufacturer/seller of NSF pipe compound and defended counterclaim.
- Prosecuted commercial action on behalf of a manufacturer/seller of vinyl window and door compound and defended counterclaim.
- Prosecuted commercial action on behalf of a buyer of color pigment for use in manufacturing plastic pipe for fire suppression equipment.
- Represented a specialty paint manufacturer in a multi-jurisdiction commercial dispute involving allegation of bacterial contamination in paint.
- Defended a plastic formulator in a multi-jurisdiction dispute pertaining to water heater dip-tubes, with alleged damages in excess of $300 million.
- Defended a domestic automobile manufacturer in dozens of actions in Ohio against personal injury and fire damage claims involving allegations of airbag non-deployment, seatbelt failure, brake failure, wheel-off, transmission explosion, car jack collapse, wiring failures, and other alleged design, manufacturing, and warning defects.
- Defended a manufacturer of commercial 'yard mule' trucks in personal injury product liability action.
Risk Mitigation & Avoidance Counseling
- Assisted clients in conducting product liability risk assessments of multiple consumer and commercial products, including commercial hoses and conveyors, welding equipment, fall arrest equipment, and medical devices.
- Drafted warnings and instruction materials for consumer and commercial products, including a wide variety of household products, personal care items, consumer electronics, machinery, and industrial materials.
- Advised clients on warranties and commercial terms and conditions in multiple industries, including the plastics, chemical, paint, adhesive, construction product, and industrial hose industries.
- “Supreme Court’s Personal Jurisdiction Limits Could Lead to More Companies Being Sued in Their Home States,” Thompson Hine Product Liability Update, June 2017
- "Your Most Potent Weapon Against Failure-To-Warn Claims," Law360, November 2015
- “6 Tips To Avoid Failure-To-Warn Claims,” Law 360, February 21, 2013
- “Conducting A Product Liability Risk Assessment,” Law 360, June 8, 2012
- "Practical Tips on the Spoliation Defense," DRI's For The Defense, December 2007
- “He Did What?! Things You Never Thought You Had to Warn People Not to Do,” presenter, Outdoor Power Equipment Institute, October 2, 2014
- Claims-Handling Workshop, presenter, Thompson Hine seminar, August 22, 2014
- “Protecting Yourself Against Emerging Legal Threats,” moderator, Thompson Hine CLE program, December 13, 2012
- “Understanding Product Liability Risks Along the Medical Device Industry Supply Chain,” presenter, Plastic News’ Plastics In Medical Devices Conference, June 12, 2012
- “Are You Covered? Emerging Legal Threats and Their Coverage Issues,” moderator, Thompson Hine CLE program, December 20, 2011
- “On What Terms? Best Practices for Reducing Warranty and Product Liability Risk,” presenter, Thompson Hine CLE program, December 9, 2011
- “In-House Counsel and Claims Officer Think Tank – Managing Litigation, Containing Costs, and Formulating Defense Strategy,” moderator, American Conference Institute’s Forum on Defending and Managing Aviation Litigation, June 23, 2011
- “Effective Electronic Case Management,” presenter, Network of Trial Law Firms’ Emerging Responsibilities of In-House Counsel (November 6, 2009) and Litigation Management in a New York Minute (August 6, 2010) conferences
- “Efficient Case Management,” presenter, Best Practices in Mass, Complex and Toxic Tort Litigation, Thompson Hine CLE program, November 12, 2009
- "Motion Law: From Basic to Advanced Procedures in Ohio," Lorman CLE Presentation, May 2006
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 2016 to 2020
- Recognized as a BTI Client Service All-Star, 2014
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2013, 2017 to 2019
- Listed as a Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, 2017-2019
- Listed as a ‘Litigation Future Star’ by Benchmark Litigation, 2012 to 2016
- Honored with the Burton Award for Legal Achievement, 2008
- Selected as a ‘Rising Star’ by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2006, 2007, and 2012
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Judge John M. Manos Inn of Court
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association