John D. Cottingham
John is a partner in the firm's Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group. He focuses his practice on M&A, corporate finance, private equity, sourcing, procurement, supply chain matters and other commercial transactions.
John's experience includes advisory roles related to a $35 billion tracking stock recombination, a $1.9 billion acquisition of a software company, a $3.5 billion sale of an existing partnership to a corporation, and multiple and varied fixed income and equity offerings.
John also frequently provides training to M&A and sourcing, and supply chain professionals, focusing on best practices, negotiation and legal terms and conditions.
Prior to law school, John was a submarine officer in the United States Navy, where he served as a division officer, department head, and as executive officer aboard the U.S.S. Phoenix. Following law school, John worked as an assistant to counsel to the United States Senate Judiciary Committee.
- “My Supplier Declared Force Majeure: Does It Really Not Have to Perform?” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2020
- "Novel COVID-19 Virus, Commercial Contracts and Force Majeure," Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, March 2020
- “Customer Considerations for Negotiating Force Majeure Provisions,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2017
- “An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: Understanding State Franchise Taxes,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2015
- “Negotiating Liability Allocation Provisions in Customer Contracts,” Cleveland, October 2013
- “Don’t Get Burned: Allocating Risk in Commercial Contracts,” Florham Park, New Jersey, July 2012
- "Empowering the Purchasing Department," Mobile, Alabama, June 2011
- "Issues in Commercial Contracts," Orlando, November 2010
- "Valuation and Tax Aspects of Mergers and Acquisitions," Cincinnati, September 2010
- "Contract Drafting in Downturns," Cincinnati, June 2009
- "Fundamentals of Mergers and Acquisitions," Cincinnati, September 2008
- "Mergers & Acquisitions – Setting the Stage: Preliminary Considerations," Cincinnati, August 2008
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021, 2022 for Corporate Law
- Listed in Legal 500 in Mergers and Acquisitions, 2014, 2017 and 2018
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- United Way of Greater Cincinnati, Agency Audit Review Committee