Mark R. Butscha, Jr.
Mark is an antitrust lawyer and a business litigator. His antitrust practice includes representing clients on filings under the Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) Act and similar “merger control” laws around the world, investigations before the U.S. Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission, and civil antitrust litigation, including class actions. He also represents clients in complex commercial litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts across the country, and he has represented companies and individuals facing criminal inquiries and investigations.
Mark also actively participates in the firm’s pro bono practice, including arguing appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, Mark clerked at the New York Court of Appeals, the state’s highest court, and was an extern at the United States Attorney’s Office, Northern District of New York.
- "Justice Department Issues First Update to Antitrust Merger Remedies Guidance in a Decade," Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Distribution Update, September 2020
- “New Vertical Merger Guidelines Face Bipartisan Calls for Stronger Antitrust Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2020
- "FTC and DOJ Announce Changes to Civil Merger Review Process During COVID-19 Pandemic, Including Changes to HSR Early Termination Procedure," Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- “FTC and DOJ Announce Expedited Procedure to Provide Antitrust Guidance to Businesses Responding to COVID-19 Pandemic,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- “FTC Reiterates Rule Against HSR Avoidance Devices, Imposes Substantial Fines,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2020
- “Antitrust Agencies Release New Vertical Merger Guidelines,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, January 2020
- Co-author, “Beyond the Mob: ‘Varsity Blues’ and DOJ’s Expanding Use of RICO to Prosecute White-Collar Crime,” Criminal Justice, American Bar Association, Fall 2019
- “Time to Dust Off Your Antitrust Compliance Efforts? Major DOJ Policy Shift Designed to Reward Companies that Do,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, July 2019
- “Generic Drugs: Biggest Price-Fixing Case Ever?,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, March 2019
- "The Common-Interest Doctrine: Preserving the Attorney-Client Privilege in M&A Deals,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2017
- "Antitrust Agencies’ Annual HSR Report Reveals Increases in Filings, Scrutiny of Large Deals & Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Trade Regulation Update, October 2016
- "Penalty for HSR Violations More Than Doubled,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Trade Regulation Update, August 2016
- "U.S. Supreme Court: A Bare Technical Violation of Statute Insufficient to Demonstrate Standing,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, May 2016
- "Congress Passes Federal Trade Secret Law,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Trade Regulation Update, April 2016
- "Antitrust Agencies’ Merger Review Data Demonstrate More Filings, Bigger Deals and Continued Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Antitrust, Competition & Trade Regulation Update, September 2015
- "Small Deals Spurring Big Antitrust Problems,” The Deal.com, December 2014
- Note, "Crushing the Press with an Iron Fist: Russia's Suppression of Information as a Violation of Its ICCPR Obligations," Impunity Watch Law Journal, 2009
- Included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021 for Commercial Litigation
- Selected for inclusion in Rising Stars by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2019-2020
- Champion and Best Final Round Advocate, Mackenzie Hughes Edmund H. Lewis Appellate Competition
- Excellence Award, New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards: Appellate Advocacy, Constitutional Law, Constitutional-Criminal Procedure, Evidence and Legal Writing
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section; Research Editor, Antitrust Law Journal
- Federal Bar Association, Northern District of Ohio Chapter
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Northern Ohio Chapter, Young Professionals Board