William R. Allen, Ph.D.
William, a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property practice, counsels clients on an array of patent and trademark issues, helping them manage, protect and capitalize on their IP assets. He prepares and prosecutes domestic and international patent and trademark applications, conducts due diligence, prepares legal opinions and represents clients’ interests in post-grant review proceedings.
Prior to practicing law, William spent over a decade as a laboratory physicist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. He also served as an adjunct professor in the Materials Science and Engineering Department at the University of Tennessee.
William holds a Ph.D. in physics and a B.S. in physics and mathematics. He has wide-ranging experience in electrical, mechanical, and materials technologies including semiconductor device fabrication and integrated circuits, travel industry software, cosmetic surgery instruments and procedures, medical devices, metalworking tools and processes, automated pharmacy systems, pharmaceutical packaging, wind turbines, e-commerce and business methods including applications of machine learning and cryptography, tires and tire-making equipment, integrated circuit processing tools, X-ray and optical inspection equipment, and flat panel displays and signage. While a physics professional, he co-authored numerous publications in scientific journals.
With an advanced degree in physics and extensive professional experience, William possesses the ability to comprehend the technical advances underlying his clients’ innovations and to effectively advocate on their behalf at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and at patent offices worldwide. He is particularly skilled in procuring patent protection for clients spanning a broad spectrum of technologies and protects technical innovations for several large companies.
A sampling of William’s experience includes:
- Representing corporations, entrepreneurs and startups with regard to protecting technical innovations.
- Prosecuting patents for corporations, entrepreneurs, startups and individuals before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Developing protection strategies for intellectual property assets and portfolios.
- Prosecuting and enforcing patents worldwide.
- "USPTO Unveils New Web-Based Intellectual Property Marketplace Platform," Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 2020
- “RIM v. NTP, Yet Again: BlackBerry’s ill-fated patent dispute with NTP takes a final turn,” IEEE Spectrum, July 2010
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018, 2019 and 2020
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- International Trademark Association
- Northern Kentucky University Research Foundation, Board of Directors, 2016
- All Ohio Annual Institute on Intellectual Property, Planning Committee, 2015