We advise franchisors, franchisees, licensors, licensees, manufacturers and other suppliers, distributors and dealers in general business matters and on franchising, licensing and distribution operations, both in the United States and internationally.
We provide cost-effective advice and services to help clients create, grow and participate in successful franchise and distribution networks that comply with state, federal and international laws. Clients look to us for assistance with reducing their exposure to regulatory and private party risks. We offer practical, business-oriented advice to clients seeking to enter or exit franchise and distribution relationships.
Our experience spans a broad range of franchise and distribution relationships and transactions and illustrates the strength of our practice and success on behalf of our clients. We counsel franchisors in a range of businesses from automotive retailers to daycare centers, home repair services, travel service providers, pet care services, industrial distributors and restaurants.
We represent manufacturers and suppliers in U.S. and international distribution matters covering a wide range of products and industries including specialty chemicals, health care, hospitality and institutional textiles, products for the food service and food retail industries, and many others.
Our Franchising & Distribution Lawyers:
- Preparation of franchise agreements and disclosure documents and management of franchise registration and exemption filings for clients, including experience in the following lines of business or industries:
- Tire and automotive accessories retail outlets
- Travel services
- Snack food distribution
- Child care centers
- Industrial chemicals
- Convenience stores
- Preparation and review of distribution and agency agreements for sales both inside and outside the U.S.
- Counseling on franchise and distributor terminations and realignments
- Counseling businesses on antitrust compliance to lower potential liability risks
- Acquisitions and sales of franchise businesses
- Responding to inquiries and investigations by state agencies
We also have experience representing franchisors and suppliers in litigation and arbitration. Representative services include:
- Representation of a manufacturer of material handling equipment in actions by dealers under New Jersey Franchise Practices Act, Illinois Franchise Disclosure Act, Tennessee equipment dealers statute and other state laws.
- Representation of a manufacturer of high-pressure laminates in action alleging wrongful termination of distributorship under Wisconsin Fair Dealership Law.
- Representation of a franchisor of automotive retail outlets in case alleging fraud and violation of the Ohio Deceptive Practices Act.
- Representation of a food equipment manufacturer in action alleging refusal to deal in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act.
- Representation of a manufacturer of engine additives for alleged violations of the California franchise relations act.
- Representation of a manufacturer of restaurant equipment in action by a sales agent alleging wrongful termination under Florida law.
- Representation of a manufacturer of pumps against claims arising from termination of a distributor under the Arizona Equipment Dealer Act.
- Representation of a franchisor of industrial chemical distribution services in case against a franchisee for trade secret misappropriation and related claims.
- Representation of a franchisor in a non-competition dispute with a franchisee in Georgia.
Business Law Update – Summer 2019 - Thompson Hine Newsletter
August 14, 2019
Franchise Systems Attacked by Slew of Antitrust No-Poach Class Actions - Antitrust Law Update
November 14, 2018
Updated Guidance on Financial Performance Representations - Franchise Law Update
March 27, 2018