David is an associate in the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation practice group. He focuses his practice on assisting public and private companies of all sizes with the design, implementation and maintenance of tax-qualified pension, 401(k) and profit-sharing plans, non-qualified deferred compensation plans, change in control plans and agreements, equity compensation arrangements, and health and welfare benefit plans.
David’s experience includes advising clients on tax issues from both general compliance and transactional perspectives. He has assisted audit teams as a tax specialist and performed operational compliance reviews of qualified retirement plans and health and welfare plans, and has assessed and advised on clients’ compliance with the Affordable Care Act, specifically with regard to issues involving worker classification, threshold offer of coverage requirements, and quality of health coverage. David has also assisted clients with numerous transactions from HR and tax compliance perspectives, as well as with the implementation of short- and long-term incentive programs.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, David worked in the People Advisory Services group of Ernst & Young’s Cleveland office, assisting clients with tax-related employee benefits matters, executive compensation, and HR transactional issues.
- “Send Out the Search Party: Retirement Plan Fiduciary Duties Under DOL Missing Participant Guidance,” Thompson Hine Employee Benefits Update, February 2021
- “Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot? SECURE Act Guidance for 401(k) Plan Sponsors to Remember in the New Year,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2021
- “Treasury Issues Guidance on Potential Payroll Tax Deferral,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, September 2020
- “Tax-Reform Impacts on Employer Provided Fringe Benefits,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work eNewsletter, Winter 2018
- Included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021 for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- WEB (Worldwide Employee Benefits) Network
- American Bar Association
- Volunteer, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cleveland