Joe, an experienced litigator, is an associate in the firm’s Business Litigation practice group. He represents clients in state and federal courts in a broad range of commercial and civil matters, including complex litigation. His experience encompasses many areas of litigation including claims involving product liability as well as general, professional, real estate and medical liability. He is committed to working closely with clients to develop effective strategies and solutions to achieve their goals. Joe also counsels clients with respect to federal and state regulation related to the cannabis industry, including marijuana, hemp, and CBD products.
While attending law school, Joe was a law clerk with the U.S. Office of Special Counsel in Washington, D.C., where he expanded his knowledge of the Hatch Act, a complex statutory scheme governing state and federal employees’ political activities.
Examples of Joe’s experience include:
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a law firm client in a malpractice case.
- Represented national and global corporations, including a pharmaceutical manufacturer/distributor and an equipment distributor, in product liability litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment for a trucking company and tractor-trailer operator against multimillion-dollar negligence claim.
- Secured voluntary dismissal of lead-paint claims against a property owner and manager.
- “CBD Companies Face Class Action Suits After FDA Issues Warnings About CBD Products,” Thompson Hine Cannabis Practice Update, December 2019
- “Franchise Systems Attacked by Slew of Antitrust No-Poach Class Actions,” Thompson Hine Antitrust Law Update, November 2018
- “Recent FCPA Developments,” Thompson Hine White Collar Update, October 2018
- Co-author, “Avoid Significant Exposure and Attorneys’ Fees – Using Rule 68 Offers of Judgment to End Class Actions Early and Quickly,” DRI In-House Defense Quarterly, July 2016
- Co-author, “The Problem with Privileges,” Trial Magazine, May 2012
- Included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021 for Commercial Litigation
- Selected as a Rising Star by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers magazine, 2020
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
April 17, 2020