Examples of Ryan’s experience include:
- Served as counsel for a company sued in a near seven-figure factoring fraud claim. Through strategic and targeted discovery, secured admissions to the fraud from a co-defendant and proceeded to secure summary judgment and dismissal with prejudice in client’s favor.
- Participated in a trial team that achieved a favorable settlement for defendant client during the first week of trial in a complex breach of contract lawsuit in which the plaintiff sought over $20 million in damages.
- Represented a major food distributor in several restrictive covenant matters.
- Represented a vineyard and winery in breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment and unfair competition lawsuit against its former president in a two-week jury trial. After trial, the court ordered the debtor to disgorge over six figures in profits obtained from unlawful acts.
- Successfully prosecuted bankruptcy adversary proceeding seeking the return of a company fraudulently transferred to the debtor’s spouse during a pending litigation proceeding. Through tenacious discovery, obtained a settlement for the full amount of the principal of the judgement.
- Handled a pro bono trial which successfully prevented the deportation of the client to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- First-chaired a bankruptcy fraud trial in the District of Kansas for an automotive performance company. The Bankruptcy Court found the debtor guilty of hiding assets in his bankruptcy filings and illegally transferring assets prior to the bankruptcy. The court also burst Kansas’s near complete homestead exemption, resulting in a significant recovery for the client.
- Successfully defended board superintendent charged with multiple Class X felonies, resulting in misdemeanor sentence with no jail term.
- Worked on complex litigation spanning state courts, bankruptcy courts and appellate courts in fraudulent transfer litigation against former members of a law firm that breached their rent guarantees.
- Served on litigation team for a large corporation in a multiple plaintiff, multiple defendant child sexual abuse case.
- Represented a Tier 1 domestic automotive supplier in a lawsuit against a Tier 2 foreign supplier related to a long-term international supply contract with a major foreign car manufacturer.
- “The Supreme Court Finds No Violation of FDCPA Where Creditor Files Proof of Claim Barred by Statute of Limitations,” American Bankruptcy Institute Commercial Fraud Newsletter, June 2016
- “Illinois Real Estate Tax Sales Are Not Designed to Achieve Fair Market Value and Thus May Be Avoided as Fraudulent Transfers”, Civil Litigation Flashpoints, published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, March 2016
- “Bankruptcy Court Finds that Debtors Cannot Pay Lawyers Simply to Avoid Creditors,” Civil Litigation Flashpoints, published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, November 2015
- “Room to Breathe: The Ninth Circuit Decides that a Trustee’s Avoidance Powers Preempt State Law Statutes of Repose,” American Bankruptcy Institute Commercial Fraud Newsletter, June 2015
- “Clawbacks Stop at the Shore: The Second Circuit Limits the Extraterritorial Application of a Bankruptcy Trustee’s Avoidance Powers,” American Bankruptcy Institute Committees website, December 2014
- Co-author, “Fraudulent Transfers and Reasonably Equivalent Value: Shifting the Burden of Production to Defendants,” American Bankruptcy Institute Committees website, May 2014
- “Taking the Confidence from the Con Man: An Associate’s Response to Fraud.” Civil Litigation Flashpoints, published by Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, May 2012
- Moderator, “How to Find Hidden Assets, Here and There,” American Bankruptcy Institute Annual Spring Meeting, April 2019
- Co-presenter, Issues in Fraudulent Transfer Actions: What You Need to Know in 2015 Webcast, The Knowledge Group, July 2015
- CALI Award—Legislative Advocacy, Chicago Kent College of Law
- McHenry County Bar Association
- The Chicago Council on Global Affairs Emerging Leader, Class of 2018
- Resurrection Catholic Church, Woodstock, IL, coordinator of Theology on Tap
- Participating in Class of 2029 Diaconate Program, Diocese of Rockford
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 2003
- Miami University, B.A., 2001