Alan S. Ritchie
Alan is a partner in Thompson Hine's Construction and Real Estate practice groups. Alan is also on the board and is a member of the firm's wholly owned subsidiary Project Management Consultants, which provides owner's representative, consulting and public and private debt structuring services to a wide range of stakeholders in the construction and development industry.
Alan is also one of the founding members of the firm’s public-private partnership (P3) practice group. He has served as developer/sponsor counsel on Ohio’s first P3 projects.
Alan's construction practice includes project delivery counseling, the preparation of all "front-end" documents and creating risk management and insurance programs on behalf of owners, developers, architects, engineers, construction managers, contractors and subcontractors, and participation in dispute resolution of claims. As project counsel, he has worked on many community impact projects, including many major league and professional sports facilities, convention centers and mixed-use projects.
Alan's real estate practice includes the representation of public owners, lenders, borrowers, developers and other corporations in connection with public/private development transactions, zoning and project entitlement, public and private finance, wind, solar and other renewable energy transactions, new market and historical tax credit transactions, build-to-suit and sale leaseback transactions, acquisitions and sales, development, leasing and other general corporate real estate matters.
Alan is a frequent lecturer on public-private partnership transaction structures and construction and design-related issues, including project delivery selection and critical provisions in design and engineering contracts.
- Representation of City of Brecksville and Community Improvement Corporation in connection with public-private partnership executing the redevelopment of Brecksville Veterans Administration Hospital.
- Representation of foreign automaker in $100 million body-shop construction project in the United States.
- Representation of international consortium sponsoring $500 million Ohio P3 project known as Portsmouth Bypass.
- Representation of Cobb County in Connection with new $600,000,000 ballpark for Atlanta Braves.
- Representation of Fortune 100 corporation in connection with new corporate headquarters in Hartford, CT.
- Representation of owner in connection with design and construction agreements relating to $600 million downtown mixed use development.
- Representation of owner/developer in connection with public finance and redevelopment of $65 million suburban shopping center.
- Representation of design and construction team member in P3 transportation infrastructure project in Ohio.
- Representation of design-builder in connection with $52 million highway and bridge construction project in Indiana.
- Negotiation and drafting of joint venture agreement for $450 million mixed-use town center development.
- Representation of Pittsburgh Pirates in connection with construction and development of PNC Park in Pittsburgh.
- Representation of owner in connection with acquisition and finance of Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.
- Representation of owner in connection with sale of 1/2 interest in $300 million office tower and hotel.
- Representation of landlord in connection with $5 million new market tax credit loan and related 40,000 square foot office lease.
- Representation of developer in connection with $10 million acquisition and construction loan relating to historic renovation of 100,000 square foot office building and issuance of $2 million historic tax credits.
- Representation of lender in connection with over $300 million secured and unsecured acquisition and construction loans to REIT borrowers.
- Representation of borrower in connection with $165 million multi-state portfolio financing secured by regional malls.
- Representation of borrower in connection with $50 million synthetic lease transaction.
- Representation of borrower in connection with $31 million net lease financing.
- Representation of lender in connection with construction financing for multiple LIHTC properties.
- Representation of lender in connection with $12 million deed-in-lieu of foreclosure transaction.
- Representation of lenders in connection with multiple construction, acquisition and development loans to both commercial and residential developers.
- Representation of lender in connection with acquisition and divesture of multiple bank branch portfolios involving hundreds of branches throughout the United States.
- Local counsel to multiple out-of-state lenders in connection with issuance of legal opinions.
- Representation of owner in connection with $7 million HUD apartment project acquisition and redevelopment loan.
- Representation of owner in connection with acquisition of $10 million in defaulted debt and related workouts of properties encumbered thereby.
- Negotiation and drafting of 130,000 square foot office and distribution center lease.
- Negotiation and drafting of lease and construction agreements relating to 50,000 square foot office building and research center.
- “Ohio Court Upholds Unenforceability of Public School Construction “Contract”,” Thompson Hine Construction Update, May 2016
- Contributing author, Baldwin's Ohio Construction Law Manual, WEST/Thomson Reuters, February 2009
- "Managing Design and Construction Risk in Modern Stadium and Arena Projects," Convention, Sports & Entertainment Facilities Conference, May 2019
- "Public-Private Partnerships – Asset Recycling and Privatizing Infrastructure," American College of Real Estate Lawyers 2018 Mid-Year Meeting
- "Game On: The Myth and Reality of Sporting Venues and Urban and Suburban Development," American College of Real Estate Lawyers 2016 Mid-Year Meeting
- "Public Private Partnerships," Thompson Hine LLP 2013 Construction Industry Hot Topics Seminar, Cleveland, May 2013
- "Impact of Project Delivery on Green Construction – The New AIA Sustainable Project Documents," American Bar Association – Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section, Spring Symposium: Washington, D.C., May 2013
- "BIM / Integrated Project Delivery" section of "AIA Contracts and Beyond," Lorman Seminar, Cleveland, May 2009
- "Legal Risks Related to LEED: Contractual Provisions And Potential Consequences," Thompson Hine LLP 2009 Construction Industry Hot Topics Update Seminar, Cleveland, February 2009
- "Building Information Modeling (BIM): Legal Issues With The Use Of This New Project Tool," Thompson Hine LLP Construction Industry Hot Topics Update Seminar, Cleveland, February 2008
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014, 2016 to 2019
- Listed in Legal 500 in Real Estate, 2017, and Construction, 2019
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL), 2015
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, 2014 to 2015; vice-chair of Design and Construction Law Committee; Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, Design and Construction Law Committee
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, 2011 to 2012; vice-chair of Construction Lending Committee; Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, Design and Construction Law Committee