Jamar T. King
Jamar is a seasoned litigator with significant first-chair trial experience. He has successfully defended several criminal cases in court, resulting in acquittals. He has a deep understanding of the nuances of oral argument, having argued dozens of motions in both state in federal court. A former state public defender, clients find his tenacity and vigorous advocacy reassuring when navigating through contentious litigation.
Jamar focuses his practice on representing businesses, organizations and individuals embroiled in both criminal and civil litigation involving state and federal governmental agencies. His experience and confidence separate him from others when representing clients in challenging cases.
Jamar has also represented manufacturers and employers in personal injury actions, lenders and mortgage servicers in consumer financial litigation, trademark holders in intellectual property disputes, privately-owned public utilities against unconstitutional overreach of local governments, and businesses of all sizes in general contract and other commercial disputes. In every instance, whether resolved through settlement, motion practice, or at trial, Jamar has achieved great results for his clients.
- Successfully tried numerous state criminal cases.
- Represented local government official ensnared in federal investigation of public corruption, resulting in no charges.
- Represented corporate clients in internal investigations and responding to grand jury subpoenas.
- Argued against and defeated petition for permanent protective restraining order against client.
- Obtained numerous favorable decisions on behalf financial institutions and mortgage servicers, both in individual and class actions, in a variety of cases, including commercial foreclosures, commercial collection and replevin, cases alleging wrongful/abusive collection tactics, wrongful repossession, wrongful foreclosure, tortious interference, conspiracy, defamation, preference, and violations of the Consumer Sales Practices Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Retail Installment Sales Act, Second Mortgage Loan Act and the Truth In Lending Act.
- Represented manufacturer against personal injury claim from contractor related to workplace accident through successful mediation
- Achieved favorable settlements on behalf of business clients involved in complex commercial disputes.
- Co-author, “Avoiding Liability For Hoarding and Price Gouging During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Thompson Hine Does Crime Pay? blog, June 16, 2020
- Co-author, "Efforts to Combat COVID-19 Price Gouging Ramp Up," Thompson Hine Does Crime Pay? blog, June 10, 2020
- Co-author, "Increased Attention to COVID-19 Price Gouging from State and Federal Authorities Could Lead to Stiff Civil and Criminal Penalties," Thompson Hine Does Crime Pay? blog, June 10, 2020
- Co-author, “Mitigating risks in prescribing and dispensing chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19,” Compliance Today, June 2020
- "Federal, state authorities step up efforts to prevent hoarding of chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine," Medcity News, April 16, 2020
- "DOJ and HHS Launch a National Nursing Home Enforcement Initiative," Thompson Hine Health Care Update, March 2020
- “The Art of Argument: Using the Pixar Storytelling Formula to Persuade Judges and Jurors,” Litigation Management in a New York Minute Seminar, Network of Trial Law Firms, August 3, 2018
- "Product Pricing Pitfalls During a Pandemic: From Sweepstakes and Contests to Discounting, Price Discrimination and Price Gouging," Thompson Hine Webinar, June 16, 2020
- "Qualified Written Requests: The Basics," American Bar Association Consumer Financial Services Committee, January 2019 (Aventura, FL)
- Included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021 for Commercial Litigation and Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Recipient, Joseph Cinque Award, Black Law Students Association, University of Dayton School of Law, 2019
- Ohio Supreme Court Board on the Unauthorized Practice of Law, Board of Commissioners, 2018-present
- Ohio State Bar Association Leadership Academy, Class of 2020
- Dayton Bar Association Bar Briefs, Editorial Board, 2016-2020
- Dayton Bar Association Leadership Development, Class of 2015
- UpDayton, Former Board Member, 2014-2018
- Wesley Community Center, Board of Trustees
- City of Dayton Neighborhood Leadership Institute, Class of 2017
April 16, 2020
January 07, 2020