Alexis J. Kim
Alexis, an associate in the Tax group, has broad experience counseling businesses, nonprofit organizations and individuals on a wide range of tax matters.
She drafts opinion letters on a variety of income tax issues and tax-exempt organization compliance issues. She also counsels nonprofit entities on organizational and governance matters, including formation, obtaining favorable tax-exempt determinations and reinstatement as well as late exemption applications and reclassifications from private foundation to public charity status.
Additionally, Alexis has experience advising individuals on complex income and estate tax reduction structures.
While attending law school, Alexis served as a judicial extern for Ohio Supreme Court Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor. She also was an extern for Cuyahoga County Probate Court Judge Anthony J. Russo.
Examples of Alexis’s experience include:
- Assisting developer clients with formation of Qualified Opportunity Funds for investment in Qualified Opportunity Zones.
- Obtaining six private letter rulings from the IRS on income exclusion of semi-public entities under Code Section 115.
- Representing individuals before the IRS in Offshore Voluntary Disclosure of offshore financial accounts.
- “Funding a Startup? Consider the Section 1202 Capital Gain Exclusion,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2020
- "IRS Grants Relief to Deadlines for "Like-Kind" Section 1031 Exchanges," Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 1, 2020
- “CARES Act: Implications for Businesses,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 28, 2020
- “Federal CARES Act Provides Substantial Relief to Employers from Effects of COVID-19,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “IRS Issues Proposed Regulations Regarding Withholding Obligations on Transfers of Partnership Interests by Foreign Partners,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2019
- "Ohio Budget HB 166 Contains Income Tax Credit for Investments in Qualified Opportunity Zone Funds," Qualified Opportunity Update, Thompson Hine, July 10, 2019
- "New IRS FAQ Permits Section 1231 Gains invested in a QOF During 2018 to be a Qualifying Investment," Qualified Opportunity Update, Thompson Hine, July 1, 2019
- "Treasury Comment Introduces Approach for Purchasers of Non-qualifying QOF Interests to have Qualifying QOF Interests," Thompson Hine, July 1, 2019
- “Opportunity Zone and Startup Tech Companies IRS Guidance: Round Two Summary,” Thompson Hine Qualified Opportunity Zone Alert, May 9, 2019
- “Opportunity Zone IRS Guidance: Round Two Summary,” Thompson Hine Qualified Opportunity Zone Alert, May 7, 2019
- "SB 8 Reintroduces Ohio Income Tax Credit for Investments in Qualified Opportunity Zone Funds," Thompson Hine, February 2019
- "Congress Delivers a Gift for Charitable Business Owners," Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Bar Journal, 2018
- "Contributions to quasi-governmental public-private partnerships," The Tax Adviser, August 1, 2017
- "Renting out your home during the 2016 Republican National Convention: windfall or tax liability?" Crain's Cleveland Business, June 16, 2015
- "Private Letter Rulings Help Six Ohio Land Banks Aggressively Pursue More Land Donations," Ohio Township Association Ohio Township News
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, member, Women in the Law and Estate Planning Sections
- Tax Club of Cleveland
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Cleveland
- Family Connections, secretary (2018–2019) and board member
- On Board Cleveland Class of 2018, Cleveland Leadership Center
- Women in Crisis Legal Clinic, Legal Aid Society of Cleveland in conjunction with CMBA Women in the Law Section
- University Circle UMC, Leadership Council