- Obtained $3 million federal court jury verdict (affirmed on appeal) as first-chair trial lawyer representing dredging contractor on unforeseen site condition claim in Norfolk, Virginia Navy pier project.
- Defended oil and gas midstream company in defense of Utica Shale pipeline construction claims. Amicably resolved case after 4 weeks of a jury trial.
- Obtained summary judgment for an engineering company and construction manager in defense of geotechnical design claims on a municipal water pump station project.
- Obtained defense verdict in bench trial in defense of breach of fiduciary duty claims against office building developer.
- Obtained summary judgment for a project manager on major ODOT bridge project in defense of negligence claims arising from large fuel spill at construction site in Toledo, Ohio.
- Obtained favorable award in arbitration of specialty steel manufacturer claims arising out of JFK Airport expansion project in New York.
- Represented architect in defense of $50 million design defect claim involving geotechnical issues on a Pittsburgh commercial development.
- Represented a vinyl wall covering manufacturer in defense of various lawsuits alleging construction defect, product liability, and breach of warranty claims stemming from the growth of mold in hotels and nursing homes in New Orleans.
- Represented a developer in arbitration and mediation of contractor delay claims arising out of Orlando new apartment construction.
- Represented an engineer in defense of class action lawsuit arising out of property flood damage in Toledo, Ohio.
- Represented trade contractors with delay and impact claims before the federal government’s General Service Administration Board of Contract Appeals in Washington, D.C. arising from new federal courthouse construction in Cleveland.
- Represented construction manager in litigation and mediation on claims arising out of 100 million dollar school renovation project in New Hampshire.
- Represented Fortune 500 Manufacturing Tenant in Build-to-Lease dispute regarding a Cleveland warehouse construction project.
- Represented a developer in litigation arising out of purchase of major commercial development space in Cleveland.
- Represented construction manager in litigation and mediation on acceleration and impact claims arising out of 100 million dollar new college dorm project in Cleveland.
- Represented contractor in successful bid protest to the federal government’s General Accounting Office arising out of bid proposal submitted to the General Service Administration for office renovation project in Cleveland.
- Represented law firm in defense of several class action lawsuits arising from alleged violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Represented architects and owners on American Disability Act claims.
- Regularly advises construction professionals on bidding, contract, mechanic’s liens, claim avoidance and claim preservation issues.
- Co-author, “Construction Laws and Customs: Ohio,” Practical Law, November 2021
- “Top Five Considerations for Construction Projects During the COVID-19 Outbreak,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Update: Supreme Court of Ohio Upholds Local Hiring Ban,” Thompson Hine Construction Update, September 24, 2019
- “Ohio Supreme Court Holds 10-Year Construction Statute of Repose Includes Breach of Contract Claims,” Thompson Hine Construction Update, July 2019
- “Threat of Another Government Shutdown: What Contractors Need to Know and Do Now,” Thompson Hine Construction & Government Contracts Update, December 20, 2018
- Contributing author, “Construction Laws and Customs: Ohio Q&A,” Practical Law (Thompson Reuters), November 2017
- Contributing author, “Construction Laws and Customs: Ohio,” Practical Law (Thompson Reuters), February 2016
- Contributing author, 2009 Ohio Construction Law Manual, (Baldwin’s Ohio Practice), 2009
- Author, “Developments in Ohio Prompt Pay Act Law,” Ohio Code News, 2004
- “Commercial Evictions,” Ohio State Bar Association, Leases Seminar, 2010 and 2011
- “The ‘Master’s Institute’ on Ohio Construction Law & Tools for Success,” Thompson Hine construction clients, 2010
- “The AIA and Beyond: Critical Issues Raised by the 2007 Revisions,” Lorman Education Seminar, 2009
- “Tricks, Traps and Ploys Used in Construction Scheduling in Ohio,” Lorman Education Seminar, 2008
- “A New Paradigm for Ohio’s Construction Industry,” Northern Ohio Chapter of The Construction Management Association of America, 2007
- 2006 Ohio Construction Law Year in Review, Thompson Hine construction clients, 2007
- “2005 Ohio Construction Law Year in Review,” Thompson Hine construction clients, 2006
- “Construction Claims for Public Entities in Ohio,” Lorman Education Seminar, 2004
- “Ohio Construction Law: Can This Job Be Saved,” Lorman Education Seminar, 2001
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Construction, Ohio, 2020 to 2022
- Listed in Legal 500, 2019, 2021, 2022
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015 to 2023 for Construction Law and Litigation-Construction; named the Best Lawyers® 2020 and 2023 Litigation-Construction “Lawyer of the Year” in Cleveland
- American Bar Association Forum on Construction Industry
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association, Construction Advisory Council, former member, Northeast Ohio Regional Office
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1993, summa cum laude,
Order of the Coif
- The Ohio State University, B.S., 1985,
Industrial Systems Engineering; Four-year varsity letter and Scholar/Athlete Award in Wrestling
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Top Five Considerations for Construction Projects During the COVID-19 Outbreak,
COVID-19 Update, March 20, 2020
- Update: Supreme Court of Ohio Upholds Local Hiring Ban,
Construction Update, September 24, 2019
- Ohio Supreme Court Holds 10-Year Construction Statute of Repose Includes Breach of Contract Claims,
Construction Update, July 19, 2019