Examples of Dan’s experience include:
- Developed and maintained customs compliance programs for Tier One automotive companies.
- Designed and negotiated a suite of master transportation agreements across all modes for Fortune 100 multinational company and conducted ongoing training for business teams.
- Interpreted USMCA rules of origin and developed compliance regimes for companies operating in the automotive, advanced manufacturing, chemical, textile polymers and technology sectors.
- Represented large agri-food association, automotive companies, and retailers in trade negotiations including USMCA.
- Assisted multiple steel and aluminum clients and customers in securing exclusions from Section 232 tariffs.
- Counselled clients on Section 301 (China) tariffs exclusions.
- Advised electric vehicle companies on purchasing strategies to meet trade agreements requirements and Buy America/Buy American threshold.
- Assisted e-commerce companies with customs issues including Section 321 de minimis.
- Represented government stakeholders in issues relating to regulatory cooperation.
- Advised large engineering firm with global expansion, licensing, and staffing plans.
- Provided trade counsel to multiple renewable energy programs.
- Serve as external general counsel to Canada-U.S. real estate private equity fund heading one of the largest privately-funded economic development projects in North America.
Because of his unique perspective on the USCMA and other Canada/US trade topics, Dan is often quoted in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Washington Post, Bloomberg, Globe & Mail, Financial Post, National Public Radio, Metal Center News, and others. A few recent examples are:
- Quoted in “You Talked Supply Chains Before They Were Cool,” Metal Center News, April 2022
- “First two disputes under new trade agreement center on core Midwest industries: dairy and autos,” CSG Midwest, March 2022
- “Traffic is flowing again on the Ambassador Bridge – but it’s still vulnerable,” Marketplace, February 2022
- “Analysis: Truckers in perfect spot to threaten cross-border trade,” Reuters, February 2022
- “Asian markets open sharply lower as global investors brace for fallout from Ukraine turmoil,” The Washington Post, February 2022
- “Ocean Shipping Reform Act Addresses Supply Chain Challenges and Carrier Shipping Practices,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, June 2022
- “FMCSA Requests Comments on Broker and Bona Fide Agents Definitions,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, June 2022
- “Summary of Recent Financial and Comprehensive Sanctions Related to the Ukraine-Russia Crisis,” Thompson Hine The Latest on the Ukraine-Russia Crisis, March 2022
- “New Multiagency Business Advisory on Heightened Risk of Doing Business in Burma,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, February 2022
- “Changes to HTSUS Classifications Expected in January,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, November 2021
- “China-U.S. Legal and Regulatory Update,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, August 2021
- “Executive Order Targets Rail, Ocean and Air Transportation Competition and Unreasonable Practices,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, July 2021
- “USMCA Free Trade Commission Holds Inaugural Meeting as USMCA in Full Force,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, May 2021
- “New Year, New NAFTA – Evaluating USMCA’s Impact on Current Operations and Due Diligence Procedures,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2021
- Co-presenter, “The Ukraine Crisis: The Impact of Sanctions on Russia,” Northwest Pennsylvania Regional Planning and Development Commission, March 2022
- “Supply Chain Strategies – Policies and Practicalities to Address Transportation Challenges,” Thompson Hine Webinar, November 2021
- “The Mexican Auto Industry – Looking Forward,” US-Mexico Chamber of Commerce, Chicago, Illinois
- “NAFTA vs. USMCA, Global Compliance and Legal Issues,” Ohio Small Business Development Centers, Cleveland, Ohio
- “Global Trade and Tariff Update,” Global Chamber, Phoenix, Arizona
- “USMCA – the First Three Months,” NTEA, the Association for Work Truck Industry, Troy, Michigan
- “International Insight,” Succeeding in Canada Seminar, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
- “Trade and Economic Development,” IEDC, Atlanta, Georgia
- Listed in The Legal 500, 2022
- Case Western Reserve Distinguished Recent Alumni, 2010
- Order of the Barristers
- CALI and Anderson publishing awards for excellence in Civil Procedure
- Frederick K. Cox International Law Center Award
- Columbus Bar Association
- Life Member, Executive Order of the Ohio Commodores
- National Board Member and Managing Council, American Chamber of Commerce in Canada (AM-CHAM Canada)
- President, Ohio-Canada Business Association (OHIO-CAN)
- Vice-President, U.S., North American Strategy for Competitiveness (NASCO)
- Advisory Committee, Ohio-Pennsylvania Stateline Export Initiative (OPEI)
- Vice-President, Henry T. King, Jr. Greater Cleveland International Lawyers Group
- Principal/co-Founder, Canada-US SAGE Group
- The Catholic Foundation Professional Advisors Group
- Knights of Columbus Council 5253
- Performing Arts Creative Ensemble (PACE!)
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2001
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1998
- FMCSA Requests Comments on Broker and Bona Fide Agents Definitions,
Transportation Update, June 17, 2022
- Ocean Shipping Reform Act Addresses Supply Chain Challenges and Carrier Shipping Practices,
Transportation Update, June 17, 2022
- Summary of Recent Financial and Comprehensive Sanctions Related to the Ukraine-Russia Crisis,
The Latest on the Ukraine-Russia Crisis, March 9, 2022
- New Multiagency Business Advisory on Heightened Risk of Doing Business in Burma,
International Trade Update, February 14, 2022
- Consulate of Canada in Detroit names new Honorary Consul in Ohio,
Government of Canada Consulate General of Canada, December 9, 2021
- Changes to HTSUS Classifications Expected in January,
International Trade Update, November 22, 2021
- China-U.S. Legal and Regulatory Update – August 2021,
International Trade Update, August 2, 2021
- Executive Order Targets Rail, Ocean and Air Transportation Competition and Unreasonable Practices,
Transportation Update, July 12, 2021
- USMCA Free Trade Commission Holds Inaugural Meeting as USMCA in Full Force,
International Trade Update, May 21, 2021
- Business Law Update – Spring 2021,
Thompson Hine Newsletter, March 23, 2021