Frank D. Chaiken
Practice Group Leader, Corporate Transactions & Securities
Pro Bono Committee
Frank is a partner in the firm and chair of its Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group. In addition, he leads the firm's office presence in Chicago, and serves on the International Practice Committee. Frank focuses his practice on corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, startups, joint ventures and commercial agreements, and has extensive experience with international transactions, in particular foreign direct investments into the United States. He also serves as general outside legal counsel to a wide range of business clients.
Frank's experience prior to joining the firm in 1993 includes four years as in-house corporate counsel with a multinational chemicals and pharmaceuticals group based in Basel, Switzerland.
Representation of private and publicly held clients in numerous business acquisitions, divestiture transactions, and other matters, including:
- Represented purchaser of ATHENOS® brand feta cheese business from Kraft Foods and Lactalis SA in FTC-mandated divestiture.
- Represented purchaser of leading New York-based specialty desserts business.
- Joint venture for development of specialty beverage business.
- Multiple M&A transactions in the specialty food sector.
- Multiple add-on acquisitions in United States and Europe in the packaging machinery sector for large private equity backed manufacturing company.
- Manufacturing joint ventures throughout the United States for major Swiss public company.
- Represent 50 percent shareholder and controlling creditor in buy-out of interest in a privately held consumer packaging company.
- Divestitures of U.S. chemical manufacturing interests of a German public company.
- Purchase of a petrochemical manufacturing division by a German public company.
- Organization of U.S. sales and marketing operations of numerous European manufacturing businesses.
- Organization of Chinese manufacturing and distribution subsidiaries for U.S. companies.
- Strategic alliance for electronic news and information distribution.
- Multi-year raw material supply contracts for NYSE/Fortune 500 manufacturing company.
- Buy-out of interest in a family-owned manufacturing business.
- Negotiation of multi-site software license, development, maintenance agreements for privately held process automation business.
- Divestiture of numerous manufacturing divisions of NYSE manufacturing company.
- Negotiation of complex marketing and distribution agreement for industrial machinery in connection with corporate restructuring.
- Structuring and negotiation of commercial agreements for technology startup division of multinational company.
- Handling of general contract and business law questions for NYSE/S&P 500 health care services company.
- Corporate law advice in connection with 50-state tax restructuring.
- Purchase of an automotive components manufacturer in Italy.
- Purchase of a major manufacturer of consumer packaging machinery.
- Purchase of a commercial rolling door and gate manufacturer.
- Purchase of a building products installation business.
- Purchase of a textile and plastics manufacturer in Germany.
- Numerous add-on acquisitions for platform business of major private equity firm in the machine manufacturing sector.
- Numerous acquisitions of institutional pharmacy services businesses for S&P 500 health care company.
- Multinational purchase of electronic materials manufacturing business in the United States and Asia
- Sale of precision metal casting and valve manufacturing division of NYSE company.
- Manufacturing joint ventures in Asia and Europe.
- Product and technology licensing agreements.
- Product distribution and sales representation agreements.
- Employment agreements.
- Business organizations and startups.
- Buy-out of minority interest in a U.S. subsidiary by majority shareholder in Germany.
- Acquisition of machining assets and facility by an industrial manufacturing company.
- “Business Perspectives – History Lessons,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2022
- “Business Perspectives,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2022
- “Business Perspectives,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Fall 2021
- “Business Perspectives – The Only Constants,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2021
- “Business Perspectives – Spring Has Sprung,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2021
- “Business Perspectives – Looking Ahead,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Fall 2020
- “Business Perspectives,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2020
- “Business Perspectives,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2020
- “CARES Act: Implications for Businesses,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 28, 2020
- "Insight: M&A Transactions a Natural Fit for Legal Project Management," Bloomberg BNA, May 2019
- “Organizing and Implementing an M&A Growth Strategy for Success: Optimizing for Predictability, Efficiency and Transparency – Part II,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2019
- “Organizing and Implementing an M&A Growth Strategy for Success: Optimizing for Predictability, Efficiency and Transparency – Part I,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Fall 2018
- “Thoughts on Negotiations,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2018
- “Applicable Companies Must Respond to U.S. Benchmark Survey of Foreign Direct Investment by May 31,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2018
- “The More Things Change … ” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2018
- “International Corporate Practice – It’s Business as Usual,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2018
- “Rebound: M&A After the Fall,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Fall 2017
- "New Ohio Corporation Law Provisions Define Officers’ Fiduciary Duty, Limit Liability,” Thompson Hine Corporate Law Update, July 2016
- “Survey of U.S. Financial Services Providers’ Transactions with Foreign Persons Due November 1, 2015,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update, October 2015
- “M&A Transactions a Natural Fit for Legal Project Management,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2015
- “Ohio Business Transfers May Result in Higher Workers’ Compensation Premiums,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2015
- “Federal Funding for Clean Energy Projects,” CLEANTECH iDEAS, January 2015
- "Corporate Merger Results in Termination of Employee Noncompetition Covenants," Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2012
- "China's New Company Law," CBA Report, June 2006
- "Mergers & Acquisitions," Doing Business in and with the United States, Thompson Hine LLP, 1999
- "Going Global," Article Series, Cincinnati Business Courier, 1995 to 1998
- "Terms of Trade" Newsletter, Huntington Bank, 1998
- "Contract Drafting and Forms," Counsel's Ohio Form Book, 1997
- "So You Want to Buy (Sell) a Company?" Harvard Club of Cincinnati, July 2013
- "Legal Aspects of Doing Business in the United States," presentation to University of Cincinnati Institute for the Global Practice of Law, October 2013
- "Buying or Selling a Company," speaker on Legal Beat segment of Business Beat television program on CET, January 25, 2008
- Roundtable participant, "Private Company and Nonprofit Governance," November 2006
- Moderator, "Issues in Private Company Governance," Thompson Hine Client Briefing, October 2006
- "China Company Law Revisions," Thompson Hine Women Going Global Series, Spring 2006
- "Doing Business in and with the United States," presentations to correspondent law firms in Beijing and Shanghai, China, Fall 2005
- "Legal Issues in Doing Business in China," presentation to Greater Cincinnati Regional Chamber Delegation in Beijing, China, Fall 2005
- "Rechtsfragen zum Vertrieb und Niederlassungsaufbau in den USA" (Legal Issues in Product Distribution and Subsidiary Operations in the USA), joint presentation of the Greater Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce and the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Stuttgart, Germany, November 2003
- "Business Entity Selection," Lorman Education Services, September/November 2003
- "Corporate Growth Strategies," Thompson Hine LLP Client Briefing, Spring 2003
- "Update on Doing Business in China," joint program of Thompson Hine LLP and Deloitte & Touche, February 2003
- "International Business Transactions," Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, January 2003
- "New Developments in Corporate Responsibility," Cincinnati Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee, November 2002
- "Corporate Growth Strategies," Thompson Hine LLP Client Briefing, Fall 2002
- Chair, Midwest International Law Conference, Cincinnati Bar Association, March 2002
- "Buying and Selling a Business in Ohio," Lorman Education Services, July 2000
- "Enforcement of Judgments Across Borders," Cincinnati Bar Association, International Law Committee, April 2000
- "Mergers and Acquisitions," Cincinnati Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Committee, 1998
- "Client Briefing on Foreign Corrupt Practices," Thompson Hine LLP, 1997
- Selected for inclusion in IFLR 1000, 2019 to 2021
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016 to 2022 for Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Named a National Law Journal Mergers & Acquisitions and Antitrust Trailblazers, 2017
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list, 2017 to 2022
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A, Ohio
- Named a Cincy Leading Lawyer by Cincy Magazine
- Listed in Legal 500 in Merger and Acquisition, 2014 to 2021; named as one of the top 21 lawyers in the United States for middle-market M&A (sub-$500m) work, 2018; named as one of the top 31 lawyers in the United States for middle-market M&A (sub-$500m) work, 2019; included in the Hall of Fame and named one of the top 15 lawyers in the United States for middle-market M&A (sub-$500m) work, 2020
- Recognized as a BTI Client Service MVP, 2011
- Recognized as a BTI Client Service All-Star, 2010
- American Bar Association, Sections of Business and International Law
- Cincinnati Bar Association, former chair of the International Law Committee
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Swiss-American Business Council
- Talbert House, board of trustees (former)
- Plum Street Temple Historic Preservation Fund, board of trustees (former)
- World Affairs Council of Greater Cincinnati (former)
IFLR1000 2021 Recognizes Thompson Hine Lawyers and Practices - Four Practices and Ten Lawyers Receive Acclaim
January 18, 2022
Thompson Hine Advises Emmi Roth USA on Athenos AcquisitionThompson Hine LLP
December 06, 2021
IFLR1000 2020 Recognizes Thompson Hine Lawyers and Practices - Four Practices and Nine Lawyers Receive National Acclaim
January 27, 2021
May 17, 2019