Deborah S. Brenneman
Debbie is a partner in the firm's Labor & Employment and Business Litigation practice groups. She focuses her practice on representing management in all areas of employment law with an emphasis on preventive counseling and litigation.
Her practice includes employment discrimination and wrongful discharge litigation; restrictive covenants; fair labor standards; employment and termination agreements; and commercial litigation.
Debbie currently serves as national employment counsel for publicly held companies.
She has served as lead counsel in numerous jury and bench trials, arbitrations, mediations, employment investigations, and forensic employment investigations throughout the United States.
She has practiced before state and federal courts throughout the United States.
- Obtained $1.5 million dollar jury verdict in Butler County, Ohio after a two-week trial against a former employee and his new employer on claims involving trade secrets, breach of non-compete and tortious interference.
- Awarded summary judgment in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois on tortious interference claims brought against a national company, arising out of hiring of competitor’s employee with various non-compete obligations.
- Obtained Preliminary Injunction against a former employee and his new employer in Butler County, Ohio in a trade secret/tortious interference matter.
- Obtained Preliminary Injunction from the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas against a former employee of a national medical device company, prohibiting him from accepting employment with a competing company.
- Awarded summary judgment in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio on claims of age and sex discrimination brought against a publicly traded company by a former employee. The decision was affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Obtained defense verdict following a jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio on claims brought against a publicly traded company for age discrimination and wrongful termination, involving an employee with 25 years of service and an unblemished disciplinary record who was terminated for a safety violation.
- Obtained judgment for a defendant employer in administrative trial before the Ohio Civil Rights Commission on claims of sex discrimination and sexual harassment brought by a former employee.
- Obtained preliminary injunction from the U.S. District Court of Idaho against defendant employee, her husband, and their company on claims of breach of a non-competition agreement, tortious interference, prospected economic advantage, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and unfair competition.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order, then a preliminary injunction from the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, against defendant employee on claims of breach of a non-competition agreement, violation of Ohio's deceptive trade practices statute, the Lanham Act, tortious interference with contract and unfair trade practices.
- Summary judgment granted from the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana on plaintiff's claims of sex discrimination and termination in violation of the FMLA.
- Numerous summary judgment decisions in discrimination and wrongful discharge matters in state and federal courts across the country.
- “Massachusetts Enacts Broad Noncompetition Agreement Law,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, August 2018
- “Parental Leave Policy Perils,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work Newsletter, Fall 2017
- “Federal Judge Enjoins New FLSA Overtime Regulations.” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, November 2016
- “Reminder: FLSA Overtime Rule Effective December 1,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, October 2016
- “Appellate Decision Sets the Stage for a Supreme Court Determination on Sexual Orientation Discrimination,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work Newsletter, Summer 2016
- “It’s Time to Update Noncompete Agreements & Confidentiality Policies,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, June 2016
- "From a Woman's Point of View: The Use of the Reasonable Woman Standard in Sexual Harassment Cases," University of Cincinnati Law Review, 1992
- "Sexual Harassment Claims and Ohio's Workers' Compensation Statute," University of Cincinnati Law Review, 1993
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Recognized with the 2015 Glass Ceiling Award, The Ohio Diversity Council
- Athena Award Finalist, 2011
- West Chester Chamber Alliance, recipient, 2010 Women of Excellence Award
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2009 to 2018
- West Chester Chamber Alliance Rookie of the Year Finalist, 2008
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers, Class VI
- West Chester Chamber Alliance, Board of Trustees
- Visions Community Center, volunteer mentor
- Exhale Dance Tribe, Board of Trustees
- Dominican Community Services, Board of Trustees, former member
- Xavier Mentoring Program
- American Heart Association, Executive Leadership Team for Go Red For Women
- Dayton Contemporary Dance Company, Board Member
- Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce WE Lead, participant
- Leadership 21, Class V
- Cincinnati Leadership for Lawyers (CALL Program), graduate
August 16, 2011
March 28, 2011
December 06, 2017
February 22, 2017
November 10, 2016
June 14, 2016
December 09, 2015
October 27, 2015
September 09, 2015