Cassandra W. Borchers
Chair, Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies
Cassandra is a partner in the Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group and Chair of our Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies group. She counsels clients on regulatory and compliance matters including all aspects of federal and state securities law and related issues, such as registration, regulatory reporting, cryptocurrency, private fund and mutual fund matters, including mutual funds, closed-end funds, real estate funds, qualified opportunity zone funds, private equity funds, hedge funds and venture capital funds.
Cassandra's practice has focused primarily on securities, finance and venture capital, cryptocurrency and blockchain matters, corporate representation and governance matters, and all aspects of counseling emerging companies. She has assisted private and public companies, including mutual funds, in securities offerings, commodity pools, private equity issues, formation, registration, mergers and reorganizations. She has represented both issuing companies and investors in a variety of transactions, digital token sales and securities offerings.
- Regulatory review and negotiation of private fund investments for investment advisers and institutional investors.
- Serving as chief compliance officer for a registered investment adviser.
- Registering investment advisers with the SEC and individual states.
- Representing alternative registered funds, including closed-end interval funds.
- Representing a variety of private funds and private fund advisers.
- Representing issuers in private offering of unregistered securities.
- Counseling on the organization of investment advisers and registered funds, including the organization and registration of investment companies, drafting of all fund offering documents and preparation of required materials and approvals for board meetings; providing ongoing administration of investment companies; and compliance review and advice.
- Advising on a broad range of merger and acquisition transactions, ranging from very large transactions such as the acquisition and financing of professional sports franchise to the acquisition and sale of a variety of closely held and emerging enterprises.
- “Volcker Rule Changes Will Expand Banks’ Investment Abilities,” Thompson Hine Investment Management Update, July 2020
- “SEC Sues Convertible Debt Lender for Alleged Registration Violation,” Thompson Hine Investment Management Update, March 2020
- "SEC Proposes to Refine 'Accredited Investor' Definition to Increase Investment Access," Investment Management Update, February 2020
- “SEC Pursues Unregistered Adviser to Private VC Funds,” Thompson Hine Investment Management Update, February 2020
- “SEC Adopts Regulation Best Interest and Other Measures for Broker-Dealers and Investment Advisers,” Thompson Hine Investment Management Update, June 2019
- “SEC Grants No-Action Relief for Initial Coin Offering,” Thompson Hine Investment Management Update, April 2019
- Featured, “Top 10 Compliance Trends,” Market Matters Podcast, May 2018
- Featured, “The Lawyers Calling the Shots in the Crypto World,” The Information, February 2018
- “Angel Investing on the Rise: Legal Considerations for the Formation of an Angel Fund,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2017
- “Investment Company Reporting Modernization,” Thompson Hine Investment Management Update, November 2016
- “Funds Must Disclose Risks Related to Current Market Conditions,” Thompson Hine Investment Management Update, March 2016
- “New AML Regulations Proposed for Certain Investment Advisers,” Thompson Hine Investment Management Update, October 2015
- Panel Member, Thompson Hine 11th Annual Hedge Fund Conference, New York, October, 2018
- Panel Member, Gemini Thought Leadership Boston Influencer Conference, November, 2018
- Presenter, Thompson Hine Qualified Opportunity Zones Briefing, Cleveland, December, 2018
- Presenter, Understanding Cryptocurrency as an Asset Class, Greater Cincinnati Mutual Fund Association, March 5, 2018
- Presenter, Blockchain and Cryptocurrency: What are they and why should you care? Financial Executives International, Committee on Corporate Reporting, March 2018
- Presenter, Compliance Workshop, Greater Cincinnati Mutual Fund Association, June 6, 2017
- Panel Member, “Distribution in Guise and Issues Impacting Transfer Agents,” Ultimus Client Summit, 2016
- Mutual Fund Compliance Programs Conference, Investment Company Institute, Washington, DC; May 7, 2015
- GCMFA Compliance & Operations Workshop, June 16, 2015
- Panel Member, “Regulatory Roundtable,” Ultimus Client Summit, 2014
- Panel Moderator, “Women in Hedge Funds," Thompson Hine 10th Annual Hedge Fund Seminar, New York; October 15, 2014
- “Why Launch A Registered Fund?” Thompson Hine Hedge Fund Conference, New York, October, 2013
- "Advancing Fund Governance Presentation," Xavier University; October 24, 2013
- "Regulatory & Compliance Issues Confronting Hedge Funds Today," Thompson Hine Hedge Fund Event, New York; October 17, 2013
- Panel Member, “Regulatory Hot Topics That Could Impact Your Business,” Ultimus Client Summit, 2013
- "The Changing Landscape for Investment Advisers," Cincinnati, May 2012
- Listed in Legal 500, 2018 and 2019
- Greater Cincinnati Mutual Fund Association, Board Member
- Aviatra Accelerators, Board Member
- Arizona Venture Capital Conference, team member, 2000 to 2002
- Kentucky State Bar Association
- The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE) Phoenix Chapter, 2000 to 2002
- Arizona State Bar Association, 1999 to 2005
- AWE Lead 2017, Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce
- Villa Madonna Academy Fine Arts Patrons, 2010 to present
The Lawyers Calling the Shots in the Crypto WorldThe Information
February 28, 2018