John is a partner in the Business Restructuring, Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy practice group. He focuses his practice on representing clients in large, complex and litigious bankruptcies, as well as strategic transactions that use the bankruptcy process to achieve business objectives. John has extensive transactional and litigation experience, and has developed particular experience in mass tort-related bankruptcies and out-of-court restructurings, including restructurings related to asbestos liability.
John regularly advises and represents companies and boards of directors in insolvency situations, both domestically and internationally. His clients have included debtors, creditors, senior and mezzanine lenders, ad hoc noteholder committees and insurers as well as administrators of foreign insolvent estates.
John also serves as a general advisor for both domestic and foreign clients in a multitude of areas including corporate and financing transactions and litigation matters.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, John was a partner at an international law firm. He is an adjunct professor of Law at the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, where he teaches Advanced Bankruptcy. John also serves on the Dean’s Advisory Committee at Hofstra Law.
John's clients include:
- Ad hoc committees of bondholders in complex and litigious bankruptcy cases, including In re Caesars Entertainment Operating Company, In re AbitibiBowater and In re Motors Liquidation Company (GM)
- Debtors in chapter 11 restructurings and liquidations
- Debtors and affiliated companies in restructurings to address asbestos liability, including In re T.H. Agriculture & Nutrition and In re Quigley Company Inc.
- Companies in defending against fraudulent conveyance and preference claims
- Companies and insurers in mass tort-driven chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings
- Distressed real estate investment funds in acquisitions of commercial real estate under section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code
- Boards of directors of financially distressed companies
- Official committees of unsecured creditors and individual members of committees in large chapter 11 cases
- Administrators of foreign companies in insolvency proceedings
- Quoted, “Bankruptcy boom: distress in the US retail space,” Financier Worldwide Magazine, September 2017
- Co-author, “The Evolution of Fiduciary Duties Under Delaware Law,” New York Law Journal, September 2015
- Selected to the New York Super Lawyers list (Bankruptcy), 2007-2019
- Adjunct professor of Law, Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University
- Member, Dean’s Advisory Committee, Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University
John Bae Joins Thompson Hine’s Restructuring Practice in New York - Bae Is Second Bankruptcy Partner to Join NY Practice in Six Months
May 02, 2019