Depending on project type and strategy, we offer partnering facilitation services before and throughout construction projects that promote consistent, rational and positive communication among stakeholders. Professional facilitators from our wholly owned subsidiary, Project Management Consultants LLC (PMC), work with the project team to establish working relationships and communication channels. By collaboratively defining roles, processes, schedules, objectives and action plans, we improve the quality of the project and reduce the potential for disputes. We offer the following customizable sessions:
- Executive partnering – Interactive team-building exercises with project stakeholders to address challenges, define goals, identify obstacles and opportunities and initiate action plans for specific project issues
- Strategic planning/program development – Targeted sessions that result in collaborative approaches to distinctive project goals
- Project delivery selection – Alignment of project delivery method with project goals, selection matrix development, process definition
- Facilitated guaranteed maximum price (GMP) – Project definition enhancement designed to reduce disputes as to what the GMP includes
- LEED sessions/eco-charrettes – Facilitation of responsible building decisions, focusing on long-term goals through collaborative decision making
- Trade contractor – Establishment of agreement on functional construction processes and time frames, definition of expectations
- Contractor closeout – Validation of project completion schedule in conjunction with discovery of potentially hidden costs or owner activity coordinator issues
- Intervention/dispute resolution – Maximize project communications, encourage open exchange of information for dialogue, assist in resolution of all disputes within 30 days
- Claims/mediation – Voluntary, non-binding attempt to mutually resolve project issues informally, rather than legalistically
Thompson Hine collaborates with PMC to provide comprehensive services to the construction industry. Established in 1997, PMC is team of professionals with extensive experience in design, finance, construction consulting, construction management, partnering facilitation, and owner’s representation services.
PMC uses a facilitated process to bring the diverse interests of project stakeholders together to establish a winning team. Our skilled facilitators are successful in developing the confidence of project team members because of their ability to listen and remain neutral throughout the partnering process. Through partnering, owners avoid costly litigation and succeed in meeting their project goals. To assist with the efficiency and effectiveness of these sessions, we offer real-time polling equipment with capacity for 250 participants.
We believe a collaborative approach equates to a successful project.
We serve as partnering facilitators for a diverse range of projects throughout the country for the following project types:
Representative Transactional Matters
- Golden State Warriors Arena; San Francisco, California
- Nationwide NHL Arena; Columbus, Ohio
- Crawford Museum of Transportation and Industry; Cleveland, Ohio
- Gallium Production Plant; Pinjarra, Western Australia
- Severance Hall Renovation and Addition; Cleveland, Ohio
- Dayton Daily News Production Facility; Dayton, Ohio
- Gateway-Jacobs Field and Gund Arena; Cleveland, Ohio
- The Rialto Project; Atlanta, Georgia
- Key Center Office Tower; Cleveland, Ohio
- Marriott Hotel; Cleveland, Ohio
- Marriott Hotel; South Bend, Indiana
- Akron General Medical Center; Akron, Ohio
- BP America Parking Garage; Cleveland, Ohio
- Society-Marriott Garage; Cleveland, Ohio
- Pier House Hotel; Key West, Florida
- Health Hill Hospital; Cleveland, Ohio
- Nautica Phase II Powerhouse Project; Cleveland, Ohio
- Renaissance Center; Cleveland, Ohio
- Symphony Towers; San Diego, California
- Carew Tower Retail Renovation; Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Allen Theatre; Cleveland, Ohio
- National Power Cooperative; Columbus, Ohio
- A.M. McGregor Nursing Home; Cleveland, Ohio
- Portland Natural Gas Transmission System (Boston to Canada Pipeline Project)
Representative Other Projects
- Litigating numerous matters involving facilities valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Successfully mediating a $30 million dispute between a major design professional and a joint venture of a Fortune 500 company.
- Obtaining a $4.2 million mediation and a $500,000 mediation result arising out of the renovation of the Ohio Statehouse.
- Obtaining $2.7 million award relating to defective design and administration of a bridge.
- Representing a municipality in the defense of a multimillion-dollar claim for extra work, delay and disruption.
- Providing partnering facilitation services for multimillion-dollar Ohio School Facilities Commission school construction projects.
- Representing a contractor in a claim against the federal government for wrongful default termination and claims for additional cost.
- Representing surety in project default, bond claims and indemnity actions.
- Providing litigation and arbitration counsel services to owner and developer of Tower City Avenue, Ritz-Carlton and Skylight Office Towers.
- Providing litigation counsel services to general contractors on various water and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Representing a contractor in successfully setting aside the award of a contract in violation of competitive bidding.
- Mediating a million-dollar settlement between surety and Veteran's Administration at U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Representing an unsuccessful bidder in Navy procurement, resulting in overturning two GAO decisions and U.S. District Court decision, and payment of bid and proposal costs and attorney fees.
- Representing a municipality defending claims by a contractor for differing site conditions on an EPA and FMHA-funded project.
- Representing a bridge contractor on a multimillion-dollar claim for extras involving the construction of a bridge.