Businesses in the health care industry face complex challenges due to increased state and federal regulation. Health care providers, drug and device manufacturers, and health-related e-businesses need experienced lawyers to assist in the practical interpretation of these laws to maximize opportunities for growth and profitability and to ensure their practices comply with this ever-changing regulatory environment.
Our Health Care group unites transactional and litigation lawyers to provide a wide range of legal services to businesses in the health care industry. The lawyers in this group work with the lawyers from our Life Sciences practice on a wide range of issues, including R&D, clinical trials, FDA and other regulatory matters, product marketing and licensing, contracts and other matters.
We offer a diverse range of services. Whether your business requires an examination of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulatory scheme or an analysis of tax issues for exempt health care organizations, our lawyers have the ability and experience to help you meet your needs.
- Structuring the sale of a for-profit research laboratory and its foreign subsidiary; this sale involved complex health care regulatory and foreign tax considerations.
- Assisting a long-term care facility in implementing a strategic plan, including the consolidation of residential care operations, the development of new living facilities, the change in status for federal tax-exempt purposes and the formation of other entities within its system.
- Assisting a financial institution in obtaining an enforceable security interest in a health care provider's Medicaid account receivables in connection with a large financing.
- Advising a financial institution about the proper structure for the appointment of a receiver for an insolvent nursing home to comply with licensing and regulatory issues.
- Negotiating affiliation transactions between physician groups, between a physician group and a hospital, and between a physician group and other health care facilities.
- Developing Medicare/Medicaid billing compliance plans for health care providers.
- Assisting health care providers in conducting internal investigations to determine if and how Medicare/Medicaid improprieties have occurred in their organizations.
- Converting an acute-care hospital to a health care-supporting organization.
- Negotiating and documenting the affiliation of a local hospital with a larger health care system.
- Converting a for-profit home health care agency to a not-for-profit entity.
- Analyzing pricing plans by health care providers to help ensure compliance with the Medicaid spend-down requirements.
- Restructuring an arrangement among ambulatory surgical centers, device manufacturers and suppliers to comply with Medicare/Medicaid regulations.
- Advising a retail pharmacy chain about HIPAA restrictions that impact the company's proposed national marketing program with drug manufacturers.
- Developing a joint venture for the administration of a health care-delivery system.
- Representing a health maintenance organization (HMO) in the purchase and sale of assets.
- Developing and implementing a response plan for a medical device manufacturing company needing to address a FDA Form 483 and warning letter.
- Appealing to an administrative law judge thousands of Medicare reimbursement denials on behalf of a medical diagnostics services provider.
- Prosecuting an appeal on behalf of a long-term care facility for alleged violations of Medicaid regulations.
Our clients include the following health care providers:
- Physician group practices
- Insurance companies
- Long-term care facilities
- Clinical laboratories
- Diagnostic service providers
- Drug and medical device manufacturers
- Health-related e-businesses
Please fill out this form if you'd like to subscribe to any of the electronic newsletters and alerts we publish on developments in many areas of the law, legislative and regulatory changes, and industry trends.
Ohio Develops Standard Authorization Forms - Health Care Law Update
January 31, 2019
Considerations for Practicing Telemedicine in Ohio - Health Care Law Update
October 29, 2018
Federal Government Signals Continued Aggressive Health Care Fraud Enforcement - Health Care Law Update
October 25, 2018
Changes to Ohio Laws Governing Advanced Practice Registered Nurses - Health Care Law Update
September 05, 2018
August 27, 2018
OIG Releases List of Provider Self-Disclosure Settlements for First Half of 2018 - Health Care Law Update
July 31, 2018
OIG Issues Advisory Opinion on Gainsharing Arrangement Between Physician Group and Medical Center - Health Care Law Update
January 17, 2018
Health Care Provider Requirements Under Final Nondiscrimination Rules - Health Care Law Update
October 06, 2016