Our Construction practice is the largest in Ohio and one of the most experienced in North America. We represent owners, design professionals, construction managers, contractors and sureties in connection with all facets of the building industry.
Nationally recognized for skill in resolving claims, our transactional construction group has served as project counsel for billions of dollars of construction at sites across the United States. Among these are many significant stadium and arena projects for the National Basketball Association, National Football League, National Hockey League, Major League Baseball, and university and minor league teams. Equally extensive is our experience with hospitals, pipelines, processing plants, schools and universities, office towers, hotels, and other commercial, industrial and institutional developments.
In tandem with Project Management Consultants (PMC), a wholly owned ancillary consulting practice, our construction consulting group includes professionals with extensive experience in design and construction management. We provide unique consulting services such as partnering facilitation and mediation, project and risk management, financial strategizing and owner's representative services for projects throughout the United States.
- Golden State Warriors Arena; San Francisco, California
- Nationwide NHL Arena; Columbus, Ohio
- Crawford Museum of Transportation and Industry; Cleveland, Ohio
- Gallium Production Plant; Pinjarra, Western Australia
- Severance Hall Renovation and Addition; Cleveland, Ohio
- Dayton Daily News Production Facility; Dayton, Ohio
- Gateway-Jacobs Field and Gund Arena; Cleveland, Ohio
- The Rialto Project; Atlanta, Georgia
- Key Center Office Tower; Cleveland, Ohio
- Marriott Hotel; Cleveland, Ohio
- Marriott Hotel; South Bend, Indiana
- Akron General Medical Center; Akron, Ohio
- BP America Parking Garage; Cleveland, Ohio
- Society-Marriott Garage; Cleveland, Ohio
- Pier House Hotel; Key West, Florida
- Health Hill Hospital; Cleveland, Ohio
- Nautica Phase II Powerhouse Project; Cleveland, Ohio
- Renaissance Center; Cleveland, Ohio
- Symphony Towers; San Diego, California
- Carew Tower Retail Renovation; Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Allen Theatre; Cleveland, Ohio
- National Power Cooperative; Columbus, Ohio
- A.M. McGregor Nursing Home; Cleveland, Ohio
- Portland Natural Gas Transmission System (Boston to Canada Pipeline Project)
- Litigated numerous matters involving facilities valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Successfully mediated a $30 million dispute between a major design professional and a joint venture of a Fortune 500 company.
- Obtained a $4.2 million mediation and a $500,000 mediation result arising out of the renovation of the Ohio Statehouse.
- Obtained $2.7 million award relating to defective design and administration of a bridge.
- Represented a municipality in the defense of a multimillion dollar claim for extra work, delay and disruption.
- Provided partnering facilitation services for multimillion dollar Ohio School Facilities Commission school construction projects.
- Represented contractor in a claim against the federal government for wrongful default termination and claims for additional cost.
- Represented surety in project default, bond claims and indemnity actions.
- Provided litigation and arbitration counsel services to owner and developer of Tower City Avenue, Ritz-Carlton and Skylight Office Towers.
- Provided litigation counsel services to general contractors on various water and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Represented contractor in successfully setting aside the award of a contract in violation of competitive bidding.
- Mediated million dollar settlement between surety and Veteran's Administration at U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Represented unsuccessful bidder in Navy procurement, resulting in overturning two GAO decisions and U.S. District Court decision, and payment of bid and proposal costs and attorney fees.
- Represented a municipality defending claims by a contractor for differing site conditions on an EPA and FMHA-funded project.
- Represented a bridge contractor on a multimillion dollar claim for extras involving the construction of a bridge.
Please fill out this form if you'd like to subscribe to any of the electronic newsletters and alerts we publish on developments in many areas of the law, legislative and regulatory changes, and industry trends.
Update: Supreme Court of Ohio Upholds Local Hiring Ban - Construction Update
September 24, 2019
July 19, 2019
July 01, 2019
Opportunity Zone IRS Guidance: Round Two Summary - Qualified Opportunity Zone Alert
May 07, 2019
February 19, 2019
IRS Regulations Give Green Light for Real Estate Investments in Opportunity Zones - Qualified Opportunity Zone Alert
November 26, 2018
IRS Issues Long Awaited Opportunity Zone Guidance - Qualified Opportunity Zone Alert
October 23, 2018
Ohio First State to Propose Tax Credit for Qualified Opportunity Fund Investments - Qualified Opportunity Zone Alert
October 01, 2018
IRS Sends Regulatory Guidance on Qualified Opportunity Funds to OMB - Qualified Opportunity Zone Alert
September 25, 2018
June 21, 2018
IRS Releases More Information on Qualified Opportunity Funds - Qualified Opportunity Zone Alert
June 14, 2018
Opportunity Zones Provide Tax Benefits for Investors - Qualified Opportunity Zone Alert
June 04, 2018
Government Shutdown Threatened (Again): What Contractors Need to Know and Do Now - Construction & Government Contracts Update
January 18, 2018
Kentucky Supreme Court Enforces Pay-if-Paid Provision - Construction Update
December 20, 2017
Update: Ohio Appellate Court Affirms Injunction on Local Hire Law - Construction Update
December 08, 2017
The Threat of a Government Shutdown and What Contractors Need to Know and Do Now - Construction & Government Contracts Update
August 29, 2017
New OSHA Regulations on Construction Exposure to Crystalline Silica - Construction and Labor & Employment Update
August 17, 2017
Trending Exception to the Exclusion: Finding a Subcontractor’s Defect Isn’t “Your Work” - Construction Update
March 09, 2017
Infrastructure Priorities Under the Trump Administration - Construction Update
February 23, 2017
Update: Court Grants Permanent Injunction in Local Hire Lawsuit - Construction Update
February 01, 2017
New Ohio Property Tax Exemption for Commercial and Industrial Development - Construction Update
January 26, 2017
GAO’s Bid Protest Annual Report Shows Record High Effectiveness Rate While NDAA Calls for Bid Protest Study - Government Contracts Update
January 10, 2017