We have extensive experience with asbestos matters, from handling individual claims through managing mass tort litigation involving tens of thousands of cases. Regardless of the type of case, we focus on identifying the most cost-effective way to minimize our clients’ risks.
Our representation extends beyond the defense of asbestos litigation. We also advise clients on asbestos risk management considerations, regulatory standards, and changes to the law that could impact how they conduct business. Our goal is to keep our clients well informed of past, current and future asbestos risks.
In light of the nature of asbestos litigation, which often involves a limited number of plaintiffs’ law firms repeatedly asserting the same or similar claims against defendants, clients facing extensive asbestos litigation are positioned to benefit from Thompson Hine’s SmartPaTH™, a service delivery approach that leverages legal project management, process efficiency, flexible staffing and value-based pricing to better align our services with clients’ needs. We have the tools and experience to assist companies in streamlining their asbestos defense by finding cost-effective ways to help them resolve asbestos claims.
We have represented clients in a broad range of asbestos causes of action. Examples include:
- Defending hundreds of shipowners in claims pursuant to the Jones Act and claims of unseaworthiness related to alleged asbestos exposure on commercial vessels.
- Defending companies in connection with purported exposure to asbestos on commercial premises, including motor vehicle manufacturing facilities, refineries and chemical plants.
- Defending companies accused of negligently exposing individuals to asbestos through their activities as outside contractors.
- Defending manufacturers and suppliers in claims related to a wide range of products and component parts, including gaskets, clutches, brakes, blast furnaces and foundry equipment.
- Defending employers in relation to workers’ compensation claims arising out of purported exposure to asbestos in the course and scope of individual plaintiffs’ employment.
In addition, we advise companies on asbestos regulatory requirements and best practices for mitigating risk of asbestos exposure in products and at facilities. Moreover, we have experience advising companies on the risks associated with potential acquisitions of entities with historical asbestos product lines.