David R. Valz
Secretary to the Partnership
David is a partner and serves as the Secretary to the Partnership.
He is a member of the Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group, where he serves as the editor-in-chief of the corporate practice group’s quarterly publication, the Business Law Update, which is distributed to many of the firm's clients.
David is also a member of the firm's Personal & Succession Planning practice group and has approximately 25 years of extensive experience in succession planning for privately held businesses, advanced estate and tax planning for individuals, and multi-generational wealth transfer planning.
A large part of David's practice is focused on advising privately held businesses on a wide range of issues, including entity selection, formation, shareholder agreements, operating agreements, corporate governance, general contract review, mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations and restructurings, and various other general corporate legal matters. He often functions as the go-to resource and trusted advisor for clients who do not have in-house legal counsel.
David also provides counsel when things don’t go as planned, in the context of shareholder disputes, “business divorces,” fiduciary disputes, trust and estate disputes, and the like.
David is a Cincinnati native and an active supporter of the community, currently serving on the Boards of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and the Cincinnati Zoo Foundation.
- Extensive transactional experience representing privately held businesses in connection with mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, capital raises, recapitalizations and restructurings.
- Handled multiple brand acquisitions from The Procter & Gamble Company.
- Represented client through complex $100+ million business combination transaction.
- Conducts/assists with annual meetings of privately held companies.
- Represented borrowers in work-out scenarios.
- Drafted numerous shareholder agreements, buy-sell agreements and succession plans for privately held businesses.
- Designed comprehensive estate and succession plans ranging from the very modest to the large and sophisticated.
- Drafted numerous irrevocable trusts, generation-skipping trusts, intentionally defective irrevocable trusts, asset protection trusts, and the like.
- Resolved IRS gift and estate tax audits involving valuations of closely held entities and assets.
- Extensive experience in advanced estate planning (preparation of irrevocable trusts, revocable trusts, gift trusts, insurance trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, charitable remainder trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, etc.).
- Extensive experience decanting trusts, pursuing probate court reformations of trusts, and drafting private settlement agreements for trusts.
- Represents affluent families with complex personal and financial circumstances, including highly appreciated, non-liquid assets.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017 to 2022 for Trusts and Estates
- Listed in Legal 500 in Mergers and Acquisitions, 2014
- Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra; Board of Directors, 2018-present; Audit and Ethics Committee Chairman, 2019-present; Governance Committee
- Cincinnati Zoo Foundation, Inc.; Board of Trustees, 2015- present
- Vanderbilt University; CoRPs Program (Alumni prospective student interviewer for the School of Engineering), 2007-present
- University Club of Cincinnati; Board of Governors, 2004-2010; Club President, 2009; Vice-President, House Committee Chairman and President-elect, 2008; Vice-President and Finance Committee Chairman, 2007; Treasurer, 2006; Secretary, 2004-2005; Finance Committee, 2004-2010; Broadway Improvement Committee, 2011-2012
- Vanderbilt Alumni Association, Cincinnati Chapter, 1996-present
- Association for Corporate Growth, Cincinnati chapter
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Cincinnati Estate Planning Council
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association