Anna K. Stark
Anna is a business litigator and a white-collar criminal practice lawyer, with a focus on securities and shareholder litigation, civil and criminal antitrust, fraud and contract disputes. As a managing associate in the firm, she has a wide spectrum of litigation experience that encompasses handling complex civil cases and white-collar defense in state and federal courts as well as before the AAA and FINRA. She represents individual and institutional clients in multiple industries, including financial services, entertainment, pharmaceuticals, insurance, and real estate.
While much of Anna’s practice involves representing corporations, directors and officers in class action securities litigation and derivative shareholder litigation, she has experience representing clients in matters relating to criminal prosecutions, internal investigations, broker-dealer disputes, insurance litigation, and entertainment contract disputes.
Anna also has a robust pro bono practice, including representing artists through Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, representing LGBT individuals in federal immigration court, and representing HIV+ clients in a variety of civil proceedings.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, Anna was an associate at an Am Law 200 firm. While attending law school, Anna served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Lee Yeakel in the United States District Court’s Western District of Texas. Prior to that, she worked as a research assistant at the University of Virginia School of Law. She worked as a court-appointed guardian ad litem for CASA of Travis County, Texas. While achieving her B.A. at Northwestern University, Anna served as an intern for the Honorable Michael Keasler in the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. She received her J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where she worked with the UVA Innocence Project Clinic.
Examples of Anna’s experience include:
- Represented a production company in obtaining a temporary restraining order preventing its production partner from breaching the parties’ contract by cancelling the event the parties agreed to produce together or communicating to stakeholders that the event was cancelled.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in defense of antitrust actions brought by the State Attorneys General for multiple states, as well as related antitrust class actions and direct actions.
- Represented an insurer in a dispute with a Fortune 100 company concerning coverage for a high-profile defamation settlement under multiple professional liability policies.
- Represented an insurer in a dispute with a Fortune 100 company concerning coverage for a significant settlement of an antitrust lawsuit under an employment practices liability policy.
- Represented the chairman of an international corporation in actions for purported breach of contract, fraud, racketeering, and other alleged misconduct brought by several investment funds concerning a €600 million payment in kind loan that later was securitized and sold to investors
- Represented former CEO in an enforcement action brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission alleging securities fraud related to executive compensation disclosures.
- Represented a pro bono client in a legal dispute arising from a restraining notice placed on his bank account and helped to establish new legal precedent regarding the application of personal property exemptions to non-bankruptcy judgment debtors.
- “Pandemic Poison Pill Wave Crashes,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2021
- “INSIGHT: Syndicated Loan Industry Gets a Win in New York Federal Court,” Bloomberg Law, July 2020
- “ISS Issues New Voting Policy Guidance in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, April 2020
- “INSIGHT: Covid-19 Securities Class Actions—Forecasts and Challenges,” Bloomberg Law, April 2020
- Selected to the New York Metro Rising Stars list, 2020, 2021
- New York City Bar 2020 Associate Leadership Institute Fellow
- The LGBT Bar Association
- Court Appointed Special Advocate, Volunteer, CASA of Travis County, Texas, 2012-2013
October 29, 2020
July 06, 2020
April 15, 2020