Ben is an advocate who takes pride in representing clients when it matters most. His practice includes defending clients involved in government investigations and prosecutions and civil matters such as violations of consumer protection laws, breaches of non-competition agreements, product liability claims, and enforcement of intellectual property rights.
Ben’s white-collar crime experience began during law school when he served as an extern at the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Ohio in Cincinnati. There, he worked on trial preparation for white-collar criminal matters. On the civil side, Ben worked at a boutique intellectual property firm where he helped clients understand, procure, and protect their intellectual property rights in their inventions and ideas.
Ben’s interest in advocacy was sparked long before he began practicing law. In college and law school, he participated in various trial and appellate advocacy programs. Notably, he has competed in the American Mock Trial Association (AMTA) and Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA) trial advocacy competitions. These programs taught him to think critically, quickly, and creatively while analyzing and arguing a case. Ben has been locally and nationally recognized for his skills as a trial advocate and a coach.
In his free time, Ben coaches the James Lewis Family Miami University Mock Trial Program – the same program in which he competed in college. Miami University’s mock trial program is ranked third out of approximately 800 teams in the country. Ben spearheads the program’s curriculum on the Federal Rules of Evidence and educates students on effective advocacy and trial techniques.
- “Ohio Supreme Court Amends the Rules of Practice and Procedure for Ohio Courts,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, July 2020
- Co-author, “Formative Assessment in High School Chemistry Teaching: Investigating the Alignment of Teachers’ Goals with Their Items,” Journal of Chemical Education, 2015
- John W. Peck Trial Practice Award, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Federal Bar Association, 2019
- Chief Justice W. Ward Reynoldson Award for Outstanding Coaching of Trial Advocacy, American Mock Trial Association, 2018
- Best Closing Argument, National Trial Advocacy Competition, 2018
- Best Oral Advocate, National Moot Court Competition, 2018
- All-National Attorney, American Mock Trial Association, 2016
- All-Regional Attorney, American Mock Trial Association, 2016
- All-Regional Attorney, American Mock Trial Association, 2012
- James Lewis Family Miami University Mock Trial Program, volunteer coach