Amanda M. Miller
Amanda advises clients on protecting their intellectual property assets and defends their rights in enforcement actions, with a primary focus on patent prosecution, litigation, and licensing. Her experience includes preparing patent applications for life sciences, pharmaceutical, chemical and mechanical inventions; preparing patent-related opinions, such as freedom-to-operate and invalidity opinions, including those related to Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDA); and drafting complex intellectual property agreements. Amanda also provides guidance on patenting strategy and litigation avoidance/design-arounds and supervises foreign patent prosecutions. Her extensive experience in prosecuting and defending patent infringement actions encompasses a variety of technologies, and she has litigated cases in federal courts across the country.
Amanda’s patent prosecution experience includes technologies related to recombinant nucleic acid and protein technologies, use of biomarkers to diagnose and treat disease, antibody therapies, therapeutic vectors, stem cell therapies and gene therapy. Her clients include universities, privately held pharmaceutical companies, early stage companies, and individual inventors. In addition, she has experience preparing right to use and patentability opinions for life sciences and pharmaceutical companies, which included analyzing existing patented technologies and comparing those technologies with the technologies being used by clients. Further, her experience in patent litigation gives her a unique insight in to what makes a strong patent, allowing her to focus on creating valuable intellectual property for clients that can stand up to later scrutiny.
Examples of Amanda’s experience include:
- Prosecuting patent applications directed to methods of making and using various microsphere formulations for delivery of therapeutic agents and compositions.
- Prosecuted patent applications for novel GSK3 Inhibitors and their uses
- Prosecuting a patent application for edge sealants having balanced properties.
- Prosecuting a patent application for arterial cooling elements for use with an immobilization collar.
- Prosecuting a patent application for multilayer optical films.
- Prosecuting a design patent application for various home goods products.
- Prosecuting a patent application related to panel communication via an illuminated bezel.
- Prosecuting patent applications for compositions containing decitabine 5azacytidine and tetrahydrouridine and their uses
- Prosecuting a patent application for a fuel gauging system utilizing a digital fuel gauging probe.
- Prosecuting a patent application for a sealed gimbal joint.
- Prosecuting patent applications related to method of isolating pure mitochondrial DNA.
- Prosecuting a patent application for a method of conforming a label to the contour of a container.
- Prosecuted patent applications related to methods of suppressing adaptor-dimer formation.
- Prosecuting a patent application for a method of applying a polyurethane adhesive to a substrate.
- Serving as counsel for the plaintiff in a declaratory judgment action involving fitness equipment.
- Serving as counsel for the plaintiff in a patent infringement dispute involving radio frequency audience response systems.
- CALI Award of Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Cleveland Professional 20/30 Club, Northeast Ohio’s Top 25 Under 35
- YWCA Women of Professional Excellence (2012)
- American Bar Association, Committee on Patent Legislation
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association, secretary (2010-2013)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, fellow
- Beech Brook, board member
- Cleveland Leadership Center, Civic Leadership Institute
- College Now, mentor
- American Heart Association, Go Red for Women Corporate Leadership Team (2014-2015)
- The Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio, LeadDIVERSITY Class of 2014
- YWCA of Greater Cleveland, Women’s Leadership Bootcamp (2012-2013)