Sean P. McCormick
Pro Bono Committee
Sean, a partner in the Business Litigation group, focuses his practice on insurance and coverage-related disputes with an emphasis on insurance policy interpretation, dispute resolution and coverage litigation. Sean advocates for policyholders in state and federal courts nationwide in policy construction and insurance coverage lawsuits. He also represents business clients in a wide range of other matters, including complex commercial contract disputes.
Examples of Sean’s experience include:
- Representing clients in connection with insurance policy construction and coverage-related disputes. Sean has extensive experience prosecuting breach of contract, declaratory judgment and bad faith claims on behalf of policyholders against insurers under commercial general liability, first-party property, D&O, professional liability, employment practices liability and various other policies.
- Securing first-party property coverage on behalf of a manufacturing client in connection with a large loss of products stored at a Georgia warehouse where the insurer unsuccessfully argued that the third-party liability insurer should first answer for the loss.
- Securing a defense for retail client in a breach of contract action where liability policy included a manuscript endorsement providing coverage for breach of contract claims.
- Counseling chemical company client on coverage allocation issues related to the defense and settlement of asbestos-related injury claims involving decades-old liability policies.
- Obtaining a defense verdict on behalf of a wireless communications client in a bench trial on breach of contract claims involving the resale of services.
- Representing policyholder in business interruption coverage dispute arising out of a fire at a manufacturing facility.
- Defending residential and industrial supply company against breach of fiduciary duty claims arising out of a minority shareholder cash-out transaction.
- "Update on Insurance Coverage for COVID-19 Losses," Bar Briefs (Dayton Bar Association publication), April 2021
- “Federal Court Decisions Could Cause Surge in Pandemic-Related Insurance Cases in Ohio,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, January 2021
- "Insurance Coverage for Losses Related to the Coronavirus," Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Civil Trial & ADR: Recent Amendments to Fed. R. Evid. 902,” Bar Briefs (Dayton Bar Association publication), 2018
- “The Do’s and Don’ts of a First Year Associate,” Bar Briefs (Dayton Bar Association publication), 2015
- “Sacksteder v. Senney, Ohio’s Second District Rejects the Twombly and Iqbal Plausibility Test,” Bar Briefs, 2013
- “An Uneven Playing Field: Public Employees are Disadvantaged in FMLA Eligibility/Notice Disputes,” Dayton Law Review 361, 2011
- Co-presenter, "Mitigating Risk in Circumstances Involving Employee Frolic and Detour," April 26, 2022
- "Update on Insurance Coverage for Pandemic-Related Losses," Ohio State Bar Association, July 8, 2021
- Co-presenter, "Mitigating Supply Agreement Risks: Structuring Defense, Indemnity, and Insurance Provisions, Allocating Liability Between Manufacturers, Suppliers, and End Sellers; Maximizing Insurance Coverage for Losses," Strafford Webinar, February 16, 2021
- Panelist, "Online Interviews and Networking," Starting Your Legal Career in Uncertain Times: What New Lawyers Need to Know Webinar sponsored by the Ohio State Bar Association, November 20, 2020
- "Preparing Your Business for the COVID-19 World: Insurance Considerations," Thompson Hine Webinar, May 5, 2020
- Co-presenter, “Storytelling from Cradle to Grave,” Carl D. Kessler Inn of Court, October 2013
- Received a 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Commercial Litigation; included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Commercial Litigation
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards: Civil Procedure, Professional Responsibility, Externship
- Ohio State Bar Association, Insurance Law Committee member
- Member-at-Large of the Dayton Bar Association Board of Trustees,
July 2020 through June 2022
- Co-chair of the Dayton Bar Association’s Civil Trial Practice and ADR Section, 2019-2020
- Dayton Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division publications co-chair, 2013-2015
- Dayton Federal Bar Association, National Convention Planning Committee member, 2016
- Dayton Society of Natural History, Boonshoft Museum of Discovery; Associate Board Member
- Muse Machine, Board of Trustees
- Campaign for Equal Justice, Joint Development Committee, 2018-2019
- Department of the Air Force Air War College, 2015
- Knights of Columbus, Maria Joseph Council 4022, member; former Recorder and Advocate
- Co-Chair, Access to Justice Awards Celebration, 2018
Thompson Hine Elects Six New Partners Thompson Hine LLP
January 13, 2022