Sean P. McCormick
Sean, an associate in the Business Litigation group, focuses on insurance and coverage related disputes and complex commercial and class action litigation. He defends clients’ interests in state and federal courts in a wide range of matters including insurance matters, consumer class actions, product liability claims, and contract disputes.
While attending law school, Sean served as an extern to Judge Thomas M. Rose of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Examples of Sean’s experience include:
- Representing clients in connection with insurance defense and coverage matters ranging from wrongful death and premises liability claims to policy construction and coverage-related disputes and subrogation matters.
- Obtaining a defense verdict on behalf of a wireless communications client in a bench trial on breach of contract claims involving the resale of services.
- Obtaining summary judgment for hospital in dispute regarding whether a physician's non-compete was enforceable.
- Defending a broad range of private and public employers in actions involving civil service, Title VII, FMLA, unemployment compensation and breach of contract claims.
- Defending a large motor vehicle dealership group against a consumer fraud class action brought by over 100 plaintiffs.
- Obtaining summary judgment for a large manufacturer in a product liability action brought by an injured employee.
- Defending a manufacturer in a breach of contract action in a California federal court.
- Assisting in obtaining a successful resolution for a family in a concealment/embezzlement action in probate court.
- "Insurance Coverage for Losses Related to the Coronavirus," Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Civil Trial & ADR: Recent Amendments to Fed. R. Evid. 902,” Bar Briefs (Dayton Bar Association publication), 2018
- “The Do’s and Don’ts of a First Year Associate,” Bar Briefs (Dayton Bar Association publication), 2015
- “Sacksteder v. Senney, Ohio’s Second District Rejects the Twombly and Iqbal Plausibility Test,” Bar Briefs, 2013
- “An Uneven Playing Field: Public Employees are Disadvantaged in FMLA Eligibility/Notice Disputes,” Dayton Law Review 361, 2011
- "Preparing Your Business for the COVID-19 World: Insurance Considerations," Thompson Hine Webinar, May 5, 2020
- Co-presenter, “Storytelling from Cradle to Grave,” Carl D. Kessler Inn of Court, October 2013
- Included in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021 for Commercial Litigation
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards: Civil Procedure, Professional Responsibility, Externship
- Ohio State Bar Association, Insurance Law Committee member
- Member-at-Large of the Dayton Bar Association Board of Trustees,
July 2020 through June 2022
- American Bar Association
- Co-chair of the Dayton Bar Association’s Civil Trial Practice and ADR Section, 2019-2020
- Dayton Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division publications co-chair, 2013-2015
- Dayton Federal Bar Association, National Convention Planning Committee member, 2016
- Ohio Bar Association
- Dayton Society of Natural History, Boonshoft Museum of Discovery; Associate Board Member
- Muse Machine, Board of Trustees
- Campaign for Equal Justice, Joint Development Committee, 2018-2019
- Department of the Air Force Air War College, 2015
- Knights of Columbus, Maria Joseph Council 4022, member; former Recorder and Advocate
- Co-Chair, Access to Justice Awards Celebration, 2018