Peter, a litigator with more than 20 years’ experience, concentrates on representing health care and other industry clients in complex cases in federal and state courts across the country. He has significant experience litigating cases under the federal and state false claims acts at both the trial and appellate court levels. He also has considerable experience conducting complex internal investigations for large corporate clients in various industries and representing them in response to investigations by federal or state government agencies. Peter has negotiated favorable settlements and litigated successful outcomes for clients with the United States Department of Justice, states’ attorneys general and private relators’ counsel. He also has negotiated corporate integrity agreements for health care industry clients with the Office of Inspector General of the United States Department of Health & Human Services.
In addition, Peter has extensive experience with other complex commercial litigation, including cases involving mortgage-backed securities, fraud and breach of contract. He also has substantial experience representing individuals in both civil and criminal matters.
Peter earned his J.D. from DePaul University College of Law and his B.S., with highest distinction, from Indiana University. He is a former law clerk to Circuit Judge William Bauer of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and a former staff attorney for the Seventh Circuit.
Examples of Peter’s experience include:
- Obtaining dismissal at the pleadings stage of a complaint under the federal False Claims Act alleging fraudulent business practices by a national health care company. The dismissal was affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Defending a national health care company in Florida, California and Illinois state courts in three separate actions alleging fraudulent business practices under the states’ false claims acts. Obtained summary judgment on most claims, and the remainder settled favorably shortly before trial.
- Obtaining a temporary restraining order in federal court on behalf of a national health care company to enjoin the premature termination by a retail pharmacy company of its participation in a network provider agreement.
- Representing a national health care company in the negotiation and resolution of a multi-state attorney general investigation that resulted in the execution of individual consent orders with 29 state attorneys general.
- Obtaining TROs and negotiating favorable settlements in federal court on behalf of a national health care company in multiple lawsuits involving former employees.
- Representing a national health care company in resolving an action under the federal False Claims Act in which the United States intervened. Conducted a complex and lengthy internal investigation, responded to an expansive government subpoena and negotiated with the Department of Justice and relators’ counsel to resolve the matter.
- Negotiating a favorable settlement with the Department of Justice and relators’ counsel on behalf of a national health care company in litigation involving a complex action filed under the federal False Claims Act in which the United States and the state of Texas intervened.
- Negotiating corporate integrity agreements with the Office of Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services on behalf of national health care companies.
- Obtaining complete dismissal of a federal False Claims Act lawsuit on behalf of a national health care company on the grounds that the allegations had been publicly disclosed and the relator was not an original source.
- Obtaining dismissal of a complaint alleging tortious interference with a contract brought against a national health care company by a competitor in Illinois state court.
- "DOJ’s False Claims Act Recoveries in Fiscal Years 2020 and 2019," Thompson Hine Government Contracts Update, September 2020
- “Illinois Legalizes Recreational Use of Marijuana Effective January 1, 2020,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, July 2019
- “DOJ Guidelines for Disclosure, Cooperation and Remediation in FCA Matters,” Thompson Hine Government Contracts Update, June 2019
- “DOJ Opioid Warning Letters—Legitimate Law Enforcement Purpose or Prosecutorial Overreach?”, Bloomberg Law, February 4, 2019
- “Considerations for Practicing Telemedicine in Ohio,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, October 2018
- “Federal Government Signals Continued Aggressive Health Care Fraud Enforcement,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, October 2018
- “DOJ Beefs Up Criminal Health Care Fraud Enforcement with Addition of Newark/Philadelphia Strike Force,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, August 2018
- “OIG Releases List of Provider Self-Disclosure Settlements for First Half of 2018,” Thompson Hine Health Care Law Update, July 2018
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021, 2022 for Commercial Litigation
- Named a Leading Lawyer recommended in Commercial Litigation by Leading Lawyers magazine, 2012-2021
- Named a “Leading Lawyer” by Law Bulletin Media, 2016
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list, 2012–2014
- Member, The Chicago American Inn of Court (1993–present)