Riccardo M. DeBari
Rich is a partner in the firm's Business Litigation practice group. His practice spans many areas of complex civil litigation and commercial arbitration, including broker-dealer litigation and securities law, white-collar defense and investigatory matters, commercial contract actions and product liability. He has also worked on appeals in a variety of appellate courts, including the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth and D.C. circuits, as well as the appellate divisions in New Jersey and New York. Rich is also a member of the firm’s international arbitration initiative.
His experience includes working on behalf of members of the financial services industry, international banks and investment funds, food production and distribution clients, and a variety of emerging companies, ushering them through the process of organizing, protecting their intellectual property and engaging with third party stakeholders.
Rich is very active with pro bono work, representing victims of domestic violence and having served as a mentor in The New Jersey Law and Education Empowerment Project, which provides academic assistance to students from underserved neighborhoods in northern New Jersey, and serving as a member of the Thompson Hine-New York office’s GiveBack Committee, a structured program to facilitate attorney participation in meaningful pro bono projects throughout the Greater New York City area.
Commercial Contract Disputes & Business Litigation
- Obtaining federal jury verdict and prevail in appeal before Second Circuit Court of Appeals re-instating jury’s additional award of attorneys’ fees on behalf of a Manhattan-based supply and import company following breach of contract trial.
- Obtaining dismissal of claims brought against broker-dealer in connection with former customer’s claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representing a nonprofit biomedical research company suing a patent licensee for breach of contract, and defending against counterclaims for fraudulent inducement in clinical research licensing agreement disputes.
- Advising foreign bank on multinational subpoena enforcement matters.
- Negotiated favorable settlement terms on behalf of closely-held company to earn dismissal of action brought by former minority owner.
- Securing a dismissal in a breach of contact action against the U.S. subsidiary of an Asian technology company.
- Advising key automotive manufacturer’s appointed independent expert panel who were reviewing, analyzing and reporting on the company’s quality and safety practices following a series of high-profile recalls.
- Conducting internal investigation into claims of gender-based misconduct and discrimination by employees of multinational financial services firm.
Product Liability/Mass Tort
- Representing the city of New York, along with more than 150 contractors, in multidistrict toxic tort litigation alleging injuries related to post-9/11 attack rescue and debris removal operations.
- Obtaining favorable global settlement terms on behalf of manufacturer of food product in connection with dozens of wrongful death and personal injury actions across multiple state and federal jurisdictions stemming from purported manufacturing and design defects.
- Defending a leading U.S. clinical care provider against strict product liability and breach of warranty claims arising from alleged defective medical device in a putative class action.
- Securing a favorable settlement for a large agricultural biotech company sued by property owners for alleged chemical contamination of a particular geographical area.
- Co-author, “No Such Thing as a Free Loan: PPP Loan Risk Mitigation,” New York State Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section Inside, Summer 2020
- “SBA Issues Updated PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications and Additional Clarifications,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, June 24, 2020
- “PPP Flexibility Act Becomes Effective, Modifying Options for Borrowers and Providing Additional Benefits,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, June 5, 2020
- “SBA Releases New Rules on PPP Loan Forgiveness and SBA Review Process,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 27, 2020
- “SBA Releases PPP Loan Forgiveness Application and Related Instructions,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 19, 2020
- “UPDATE: SBA Extends PPP Loan Safe Harbor Deadline to May 18, 2020,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 2020
- “SBA Issues Additional Guidance on PPP ‘Necessity’ Certification – No Extension of Safe Harbor Deadline of May 14, 2020,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 2020
- “SBA Extends Safe Harbor Deadline from May 7 to May 14, 2020 for Return of Paycheck Protection Program Loan Funds and Promises Additional Guidance on the “Necessity” Certification Prior to New Deadline,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 2020
- “Paycheck Protection Program Loans and Certifying “Necessity”: New Guidelines Highlight Potential Civil and Criminal Exposure Related to Obtaining PPP Loans,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, May 2020
- "Paycheck Protection Program: Borrowers Must Plan Now to Maximize Forgiveness," Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, April 2020
- "FINRA Provide Critical Guidance on Net Capital Treatment of Loans Obtained by Broker Dealers through the Paycheck Protection Program of CARES Act," Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, April 2020
- “FINRA Regulatory Guidance Provides Broker-Dealers Limited Relief Amid COVID-19 Outbreak,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “INSIGHT: FINRA Guidance Offers Broker-Dealers Minor Relief on Business Continuity Plans,” Bloomberg Law, March 2020
- “CARES Act: Implications for Businesses,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 28, 2020
- “CARES Act: Paycheck Protection Program – Forgivable Loans for Small Businesses,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “New York Changes the Landscape of State Workplace Discrimination and Harassment Litigation,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, August 2019
- Selected for inclusion New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016, 2017 and 2018
March 31, 2020
Thompson Hine Elects New PartnersThompson Hine LLP
January 09, 2019