Riccardo M. DeBari
Rich is a partner in the firm's Business Litigation practice group. His practice spans many areas of complex civil litigation and commercial arbitration, including broker-dealer litigation and securities law, white collar defense and investigatory matters, commercial contract actions and product liability. He has also worked on appeals in a variety of appellate courts, including the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth and D.C. circuits, as well as the appellate divisions in New Jersey and New York. Rich is also a member of the firm’s international arbitration initiative.
His experience includes working on behalf of members of the financial services industry, international banks and investment funds, food production and distribution clients, and a variety of emerging companies, ushering them through the process of organizing, protecting their intellectual property and engaging with third party stakeholders.
Rich is very active with pro bono work, representing victims of domestic violence and having served as a mentor in The New Jersey Law and Education Empowerment Project, which provides academic assistance to students from underserved neighborhoods in northern New Jersey, and serving as a member of the Thompson Hine-New York office’s GiveBack Committee, a structured program to facilitate attorney participation in meaningful pro bono projects throughout the Greater New York City area.
Commercial Contract Disputes & Business Litigation
- Obtaining federal jury verdict and prevail in appeal before Second Circuit Court of Appeals re-instating jury’s additional award of attorneys’ fees on behalf of a Manhattan-based supply and import company following breach of contract trial.
- Obtaining dismissal of claims brought against broker-dealer in connection with former customer’s claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representing a nonprofit biomedical research company suing a patent licensee for breach of contract, and defending against counterclaims for fraudulent inducement in clinical research licensing agreement disputes.
- Advising foreign bank on multinational subpoena enforcement matters.
- Negotiated favorable settlement terms on behalf of closely-held company to earn dismissal of action brought by former minority owner.
- Securing a dismissal in a breach of contact action against the U.S. subsidiary of an Asian technology company.
- Advising key automotive manufacturer’s appointed independent expert panel who were reviewing, analyzing and reporting on the company’s quality and safety practices following a series of high-profile recalls.
- Conducting internal investigation into claims of gender-based misconduct and discrimination by employees of multinational financial services firm.
Product Liability/Mass Tort
- Representing the city of New York, along with more than 150 contractors, in multidistrict toxic tort litigation alleging injuries related to post-9/11 attack rescue and debris removal operations.
- Obtaining favorable global settlement terms on behalf of manufacturer of food product in connection with dozens of wrongful death and personal injury actions across multiple state and federal jurisdictions stemming from purported manufacturing and design defects.
- Defending a leading U.S. clinical care provider against strict product liability and breach of warranty claims arising from alleged defective medical device in a putative class action.
- Securing a favorable settlement for a large agricultural biotech company sued by property owners for alleged chemical contamination of a particular geographical area.
- Selected for inclusion New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016, 2017 and 2018
Thompson Hine Elects New PartnersThompson Hine LLP
January 09, 2019