Faith L. Charles
Corporate Transactions & Securities
Chair, Life Sciences
Faith, a corporate transactions and securities partner, leads the firm’s Life Sciences practice, and is one of few women who serve as trusted advisors and outside counsel to dozens of public and emerging life sciences companies, providing valuable insights into capital markets, corporate governance and strategic collaborations. With over 30 years of industry experience, Faith has cultivated a deep understanding of how to launch and build a successful life sciences business. She also counsels companies in the health care information technology, energy, retail and consumer product sectors.
Faith skillfully leads, manages and negotiates a wide range of complex and transformative private and public financing transactions, acquisitions and dispositions, and strategic collaborations, nationally and internationally. She has completed more than 250 securities offerings, with gross proceeds totaling billions of dollars.
As a member of several private and public life sciences companies’ boards, Faith provides insightful, strategic leadership on corporate governance matters, complex disclosure issues, insider trading issues, compliance with federal and state securities laws, and stock exchange listings and compliance.
Faith uses a collaborative, cross-disciplinary approach to resolve clients’ issues and provides guidance on integrating advice from other legal experts, such as patent prosecutors, regulatory advisors, litigators, employment lawyers and tax advisors, aligning recommendations with the clients’ corporate strategies and directions. Faith is passionate about providing great client service, which reward both her and her clients with strong, long-lasting relationships.
Faith founded the Women in Bio Metro New York chapter and was its chair for five years. She serves on the board of Women in Bio’s national organization and is a graduate of its inaugural Boardroom Ready program, an executive development course taught by George Washington University’s Executive Education School. Faith also serves on the Life Sciences Advisory Council for Springboard Enterprises. She has been recognized as a Life Sciences Star by Euromoney’s LMG Life Sciences since 2013, and she has been named a BTI Client Service All-Star.
With extensive knowledge of federal and state securities law filings and compliance, and public and private capital markets transactions, Faith provides clients with solid legal footing required for transactions such as public offerings, follow-on offerings, confidentially marked offerings, registered direct offerings, reverse mergers, spin-off transactions, at-the-market offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities. She also provides guidance on stock exchange listings, de-listings and compliance. Her client base range from Fortune 500 to fledgling companies, as well as banks, underwriters, placement agents, venture capitalists and investors.
Comprehensive experience, including her experience serving as a board member, enables Faith to provide insightful leadership on topics such as corporate governance matters, complex disclosure issues, insider trading issues and compliance with federal and state securities laws and stock exchange listings and compliance. For her clients, which include companies, boards of directors and special committees, Faith devises strategies which assess and mitigate risks, develops governance and other types of compliance policies, and assists with the director onboarding process.
Faith negotiates and counsels on strategic collaborations and joint ventures in the United States and internationally, primarily for life sciences clients. Her work includes completing a significant number of exclusive licensing agreements on behalf of clients with companies around the world, including China, France, Hungary, Italy, Japan and Latin America, among others. She also advises and negotiates commercial agreements, such as technology license agreements, manufacturing and supply agreements, distribution agreements and service agreements.
- “Female Partner Thrives in Male-Dominated Life Sciences Legal Arena, Helps Build Women’s Network,” Of Counsel. September 2020.
- “The COVID-19 Virus Presents Contracting Opportunities and Challenges to Life Science and Biotechnology Companies,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “IPO Benefits and Challenges for Early-Stage Biotech Cos.,” Law360, December 2019
- “Diversity in the Life Sciences Industry: More Progress Needed,” AW360, November 2019
- “Benefits and Challenges of an Early Stage Biotech Company Going Public,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2019
- “Spin-Offs: Key Considerations,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2018
- Interviewed, “WIB Profile: Mergers, Funding, & Financing Continue to Surge In Biotech,” ClinicalLeader.com, July 2, 2015
- Interviewed, “NY women take on the biotech sector,” Crain’s New York Business, Source Lunch, May 23, 2014
- Selected for Crain’s New York Business "2020 Notable Women in Law"
- Graduate of Women in Bio’s First Boardroom Ready Program, George Washington University’s Executive Education School
- Euromoney/LMG Life Sciences, Life Sciences Star, Finance & Transactional (2013 to 2016)
- BTI Client Service All-Star
- Member - Board of Directors, Women in Bio
- Member - Board of Directors, Gilda’s Club of New York City
- Member - Board of Directors, Agilvax Inc.
- Member - Board of Directors, Entera Bio Ltd. (NASDAQ: “ENTX”)
- Member - Board of Directors, Sandstone Diagnostics, Inc.
- Founder and former chair - Women in Bio, New York Metro chapter
- Member - Life Sciences Council, Springboard Enterprises
- Member - Executive Committee, Life Sciences Sector, The Licensing Executive Society (USA and Canada)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- 2020 Life Sciences Editorial Advisory Board, Law360
September 10, 2020
2020 Notable Women in LawCrain's New York Business
December 17, 2019
November 13, 2019