Criminal Defense, Government Investigations & Government Enforcement
- Represented treasurer of a nonprofit organization in a pre-indictment investigation into approximately $40,000 of missing funds, successfully removing the treasurer from a pool of suspects to a witness in any potential prosecution.
- Represented an individual and the individual’s various businesses in a civil enforcement action brought by the Ohio Attorney General on behalf of Ohio EPA.
- Represented an international shipping company in a pre-indictment investigation involving allegations that its employees engaged in various fraud-based offenses.
- Conducted an investigation into a national vehicle servicer in connection with allegations of employee misconduct.
- Represented a national airport maintenance and transportation company in a pre-indictment investigation and grand jury subpoena response.
- Represented a vaping manufacturer and distributor relating to an investigation by ATF for PACT Act compliance.
- Guided clients in responding to numerous grand jury subpoenas issued by state and federal grand juries relating to investigations being conducted by the FBI, SEC, ATF, FTC, SIGAR, and more.
- Responded to a state attorney general’s letter concerning alleged consumer protection violations by a direct-to-consumer retailer of children’s toys.
- Drafted sentencing memoranda for clients facing prison terms, advocating for decreased terms or community control.
- Represented dozens of indigent clients pro bono relating to various charged offenses in state and federal court.
- Through trial, acquired emergency relief on behalf of an individual to cease his ex-partner’s occupation of the individual’s real property.
- Acquired emergency injunctive relief on behalf of a medical communications company to cease an ex-officer’s access to trade secrets and violation of a non-competition agreement.
- Acquired emergency injunctive relief on behalf of a company providing software-as-a-service to cease two ex-salespersons’ access and alleged use of trade secrets in operating their own competing company in violation of non-competition agreements.
- Defended two sales representatives against a request for immediate injunctive relief to prohibit their employment with a competitor and negotiated a separation from their previous employer to permit them to maintain competitive employment.
- Sought emergency injunctive relief on behalf of a manufacturer of bedding supplies when top executives resigned and sought employment with a competitor, resulting in an amicable settlement including injunctive relief.
- Defended a minority shareholder against emergency injunctive relief sought by the company she owned.
Breach of Non-Competition Agreements & Trade Secret Misappropriation
- Successfully defended client from allegations of civil contempt for alleged violations of a consent judgment enforcing non-competition covenants. See LCA-Vision, Inc. d/b/a LASIKPLUS et al. v. Sanjay Desh Goel, M.D., No. 1:19-cv-00818 (S.D. Ohio Nov. 19, 2020) (J. Dlott).
- Asserted claims for breach of non-competition covenant and trade secret misappropriation on behalf of a medical communications company against a former sales executive and sought emergency injunctive relief, including briefing appealable issues in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Negotiated a separation without litigation between a physician and his employer, dissolving restrictive covenants to which the physician was bound.
- Negotiated the separation of two freight logistics brokers from their prior employer despite their execution of non-competition and non-solicitation restrictive covenants, ensuring they remained employed in the freight logistics brokerage field.
- Defended a third-party logistics company through mediation and acquired settlements for individuals it employed in alleged violations of their restrictive covenants with a national third-party logistics company.
- Drafted numerous motions and oppositions to dismiss on various bases and motions for summary judgment on non-competition and trade secret claims.
Business and Contract Disputes
- Represented a general contractor through a trial in federal court relating to allegations that the general contractor deposited soil at an individual’s property in breach of a license to use that property, reducing millions in claimed damages to nominal damages.
- Acquired summary judgment in favor of a defendant employer against a plaintiff asserting claims for federal and state race discrimination and retaliation and termination in violation of public policy.
- Ongoing representation of a car dealership in all litigation-facing issues including consumer protection, breach of contract, recovery of amounts on secured loans, collections, and other issues.
- Acquired an amicable settlement of claims surrounding an improperly imposed deed restriction on a business’ real property by the business’ prior members.
- Negotiated business divorce between a small business owner and his partner after their business relationship soured.
- Represented a commercial entity in a commercial lease dispute involving allegations of fraud.
- Negotiated a settlement between a small software development company and a nationally recognized business automation company for claims for the national company’s alleged breaches of contract and conversion of funds.
- Negotiated a settlement of alleged violations of the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act for a construction and roofing company.
- Analyzed culpability of late deliveries of internationally shipped goods which were late being delivered to consumers and coordinated a response to various public complaints.
- Negotiated numerous settlements on unpaid invoices or similar accounts for parties to whom and from whom payments are owed.
- Serves as a conflicts panel attorney for state and federal courts in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Represented numerous residential tenants in landlord/tenant disputes.
- Co-author, “Regulations on Reopening: Avoiding Government Scrutiny and Mitigating Potential Prosecution Risk,” Cincinnati Bar Association Report, September/October 2020 Issue
- Co-author, “Formative Assessment in High School Chemistry Teaching: Investigating the Alignment of Teachers’ Goals with Their Items,” Journal of Chemical Education, 2015
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list, 2024
- John W. Peck Trial Practice Award, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Federal Bar Association, 2019
- Chief Justice W. Ward Reynoldson Award for Outstanding Coaching of Trial Advocacy, American Mock Trial Association, 2018
- Best Closing Argument, National Trial Advocacy Competition, 2018
- Best Oral Advocate, National Moot Court Competition, 2018
- All-National Attorney, American Mock Trial Association, 2016
- All-Regional Attorney, American Mock Trial Association, 2016
- All-Regional Attorney, American Mock Trial Association, 2012
- Cincinnati Bar Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, member
- Member, Criminal Justice Act Panel for the Southern District of Ohio, 2023-present
- Member, Appointment Panel, Hamilton County Public Defender’s Office, 2021-present
- Member, Pro Bono Committee, Thompson Hine, 2021-present
- Visiting assistant professor, Trial Practice Practicum, Miami University
- Coach, James Lewis Family Miami University Mock Trial Program
- Volunteer representative tournament official, American Mock Trial Association
- Co-chair (2023-2024) and member (2022-present), Case-Writing Committee, Ohio Center for Law-Related Education
- Board member, iSPACE, 2022-present
- Board member, GROW PBPO, Pro Bono Partnership of Ohio, 2022-present
- Co-founder; vice president and board member (2022-present), Reading Junior Senior High School Mock Trial Boosters
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 2019, magna cum laude
- Miami University, B.A., 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit