Criminal Defense & Investigations
- Represented treasurer of a non-profit organization in a pre-indictment investigation into approximately $40,000 of funds missing from accounts, successfully removing the treasurer from a pool of suspects to a witness in any potential prosecution.
- Guided clients in responding to numerous grand jury subpoenas for documents, including one concerning an investigation by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR).
- Responded to a state attorney general’s letter concerning alleged consumer protection violations by a direct-to-consumer retailer of children’s toys.
- Drafted sentencing memoranda for clients facing prison terms, advocating for decreased terms or community control.
- Sought emergency injunctive relief on behalf of a manufacturer of bedding supplies when top executives resigned and sought employment with a competitor, resulting in an amicable settlement including injunctive relief.
- Acquired emergency injunctive relief on behalf of a medical communications company to cease an ex-officer’s access to trade secrets and violation of a non-competition agreement.
- Acquired emergency injunctive relief on behalf of a company providing software as a service to cease two ex-salespersons’ access and alleged use of trade secrets in operating their own competing company in violation of non-competition agreements.
- Through trial, acquired emergency relief on behalf of an individual to cease his ex-partner’s occupation of the individual’s real property.
- Defended a minority shareholder against emergency injunctive relief sought by the company.
Breach of Non-Competition Agreements & Trade Secret Misappropriation
- Successfully defended client from allegations of civil contempt for alleged violations of a consent judgment enforcing non-competition covenants. See LCA-Vision, Inc. d/b/a LASIKPLUS et al. v. Sanjay Desh Goel, M.D., No. 1:19-cv-00818 (S.D. Ohio Nov. 19, 2020) (J. Dlott).
- Successfully negotiated a separation without litigation between a physician and his employer, dissolving restrictive covenants to which the physician was bound.
- Defended a third-party logistics company through mediation and acquired settlements for individuals it employed in alleged violations of their restrictive covenants with a national third-party logistics company.
- Drafted numerous motions and oppositions to dismiss on various bases and motions for summary judgment on non-competition and trade secret claims.
Business and Contract Disputes
- Negotiated a settlement between a small software development company and a nationally recognized business automation company for claims for the national company’s alleged breaches of contract and conversion of funds.
- Negotiated business divorce between a small business owner and his partner after their business relationship soured.
- Represented a general contractor construction company for alleged violations of the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act and Mortgage Loan and Broker laws.
- Negotiated a settlement of alleged violations of the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act for a construction and roofing company.
- Analyzed culpability of late deliveries of internationally shipped goods which were late being delivered to consumers and coordinated a response to various public complaints.
- Negotiated numerous settlements on unpaid invoices or similar accounts for parties to whom and from whom payments are owed.
- Represented and defended indigent defendants that the Hamilton County Public Defender’s Office cannot represent either through conflicts of interest or overloaded dockets.
- Co-author, Regulations on Reopening: Avoiding Government Scrutiny and Mitigating Potential Prosecution Risk, Cincinnati Bar Association Report, September/October 2020 Issue
- Co-author, “Formative Assessment in High School Chemistry Teaching: Investigating the Alignment of Teachers’ Goals with Their Items,” Journal of Chemical Education, 2015
- John W. Peck Trial Practice Award, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Federal Bar Association, 2019
- Chief Justice W. Ward Reynoldson Award for Outstanding Coaching of Trial Advocacy, American Mock Trial Association, 2018
- Best Closing Argument, National Trial Advocacy Competition, 2018
- Best Oral Advocate, National Moot Court Competition, 2018
- All-National Attorney, American Mock Trial Association, 2016
- All-Regional Attorney, American Mock Trial Association, 2016
- All-Regional Attorney, American Mock Trial Association, 2012
- Miami University, Visiting Assistant Professor, Trial Practice Practicum and James Lewis Family Miami University Mock Trial Program Coach
- American Mock Trial Association, Volunteer Representative Tournament Official
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 2019, magna cum laude
- Miami University, B.A., 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Ohio Supreme Court Amends the Rules of Practice and Procedure for Ohio Courts,
Business Litigation Update, July 7, 2020