We represent landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of ground and space leases, lease amendments, estoppel certificates, and subordination, non-disturbance and attornment agreements (SNDAs). Our lawyers also prepare specialized lease abstracts for acquisition, development and operations due diligence.
We assist a broad range of clients with complex leasing transactions involving assets such as:
- Retail/shopping centers
- Office space
- Industrial warehouses
- Oil, gas and mineral rights
- Renewable energy (solar, wind and biomass)
A few of our noteworthy leasing transactions include structuring and negotiating leases involving ground-up development and expansion of lifestyle and shopping centers across the United States, mixed-use facilities and various sports complexes (including a National Hockey League arena), amusement parks, community centers, transportation facilities, and office and industrial buildings.
- Representing developer with leasing of ground-up development of lifestyle center including theater, big box user (Barnes & Noble) and fashion multi-tenant retail under governmental development agreement in San Francisco, California.
- Representing a manufacturing company with over 40 national and international warehouse, distribution and manufacturing facilities with lease forms and lease administration.
- Representing national telecom company in various leasing transactions, including warehouse, office, conduit and equipment leases, and lease termination agreements in 14 states including Maryland, New York, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois, District of Columbia, Ohio, Massachusetts, West Virginia, Missouri, Wisconsin, Iowa and Delaware.
- Representing a NYSE-listed lodging REIT in the restructuring of its leases and management agreements for a $400 million portfolio of hotel properties.
Representing sublessee under a ground lease on a $150 million sports arena facility, including negotiation of options to purchase fee and groundleasehold estate, with such options secured by mortgages; and representation of sports arena developer in sublease to an NHL hockey team.
- Representing international services company in disposition of office lease locations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Austin, Montreal, Singapore and Paris through sublease and restructurings.
- Representing public company in the negotiation of leases and lease amendments for a network of retail paint stores and leases for paint distribution/warehouse centers in the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Representing manufacturing company on leases in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas and New Jersey.
- Representing consumer product manufacturer in $26 million sale/leaseback of 250,000 sq. ft. cold storage facility in Enid, Oklahoma.
- Representing Fortune 500 company in the sale-leaseback with a non-U.S. affiliate of a $60 million division world headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Representing Big 3 auto manufacturer in connection with the leveraged lease sale/leaseback of both a major assembly operation as well as an environmentally sensitive truck painting facility.
- Representing a self-administered, NYSE-listed real estate investment trust in the $350 million acquisition of a portfolio of 36 department stores located in California, Nevada, Arizona and Texas, with lease or sublease back to the department store, plus related acquisition and lease back of additional properties in California and Utah.
- Representing pension fund in mortgage loans in connection with sale/leasebacks.
- Representing NYSE-listed REIT in the $350 million acquisition of a portfolio of 36 department stores located in California, Nevada, Arizona and Texas, with lease or sublease back to the department store.
- Representing an acquirer of interests in thousands of oil and gas leases in Ohio related to Marcellus shale exploration and development.
- Representing a retail developer in the evaluation of an oil and gas leasing program, including advice on the negotiation of drilling and non-drilling oil and gas leases.
- Representing Fortune 50 oil company in connection with disposing of 10 ground leased properties in three states.
- Represented a historical society regarding the proposed lease of property at an airport for a museum and the negotiation of easement agreements between nonprofits.
- Represented a nonprofit as development and construction counsel for ground lease for mixed-use residential project.