David D. Watson
David is a partner in the Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group. He focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, including distressed M&A transactions; private equity fund matters; business counseling; family business issues and succession planning.
David has substantial experience in transactional and general corporate law, including the acquisition and disposition of businesses, both in the ordinary course of events and bankruptcy; the organization, operation and disposition of partnerships, limited liability companies and joint ventures; succession planning and the resolution of private shareholder disputes; and counseling clients across a wide range of industries on a variety of day-to-day business matters.
- Represented buyers and sellers in hundreds of asset sales, stock sales and mergers, ranging from under $1 million to more than $1.5 billion.
- Represented buyers and sellers in dozens of §363 and Article 9 transactions, ranging from $2 million to over $1 billion, in industries including automotive, building products, consumer products, franchise restaurants, health care, nonferrous metals, plastics and steel.
- Represented the State of Ohio in the $1.5 billion franchise and transfer of the Enterprise Acquisition Project to JobsOhio.
- Served as outside general counsel to family-owned businesses with sales ranging from under $10 million to more than $200 million.
- Served as outside general counsel to a Fortune 500 company.
- Represented clients in the formation and operation of joint ventures ranging from $5 million to over $1 billion.
- Represented private equity funds in acquisitions, dispositions and fund formations.
- Represented families and individuals in business succession planning and wealth planning.
- Represented individuals and groups in disputes regarding ownership and management of privately-held businesses.
- Advised entrepreneurs in the formation, growth and disposition of their businesses.
- Represented executives and inventors in their dealings with their employers.
- Advised boards of directors, special committees and financial advisers in connection with equity and debt transactions.
- Presenter, "Distressed M&A Fireside Chat," Thompson Hine Webinar Series, February 2021
- “Talent Acquisition and Motivation Strategies for Private Equity Firms,” May 2014
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 to 2022 for Corporate Law, and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association