Peter W. Smith
Peter leads the firm’s Technology, Media & Telecommunications (TMT) practice.
He provides mergers and acquisitions, general corporate, employment and intellectual property advice to public and private companies engaged in the development and commercialization of proprietary technology, content and services.
Peter also advises professional athletes, fashion models, celebrity chefs, recording artists, designers, visual artists and authors in connection with a wide range of commercial arrangements.
Prior to entering private practice, Peter served as law clerk to The Honorable Ellsworth A. Van Graafeiland of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representation of a biotech company in connection with its acquisition of the developer of proprietary technology for the production of environmentally friendly, toxin-free, sustainable sources of high-value nutrients for the animal feed industry.
- Representation of a leading provider of medical record release of information (ROI) services in connection with its acquisition of multiple regional providers of ROI services.
- Representation of the operator of a leading online marketplace for the purchase and sale of websites, domain names and iOS applications in connection with its acquisition of assets in France.
- Representation of a leading independent professional golf agency in connection with its sale to a premier domestic talent agency, and representation of its founder in connection with his executive employment arrangements with the purchaser.
- Representation of a crowd-sourced graphic design services provider in connection with its sale to a private equity fund.
- Representation of a private equity fund in connection with its acquisition of a municipally-owned cable system.
- Representation of a web analytics company in connection with its sale to a publicly held global information services company.
- Representation of numerous domestic providers of proprietary technology and services in connection with the formation and operation of strategic joint ventures to market products and services abroad.
- Provision of IP transactional support to numerous purchasers and sellers of businesses.
- Representation of the developer of a cloud-based application designed to provide hospital systems with a secure, HIPPA-compliant platform on which to manage and optimize heart valve patient workflow.
- Representation of a leading provider of multi-platform distribution services for digital magazines.
- Representation of a developer of performance fabrics.
Global Sourcing and Procurement / Technology Acquisition
- Representation of a leading provider of pharmacy technology and services to regional and national retailers in connection with its arrangements with third-party hardware and software vendors.
- Representation of a global eyewear company in connection with its acquisition of software for the management and processing of optometric information.
- Representation of a leading national vision benefits provider in connection with acquisition of comprehensive claim processing technology and related services.
- Representation of a publicly held global media company in connection with the review and negotiation of vendor agreements for a wide array of hardware, software, telecommunications, and other products and services.
- Representation of a physical commodities futures exchange in connection with its acquisition of a specialty software development company.
IP Protection and Maintenance
- Representation of numerous clients in connection with patent, copyright, trademark and domain name acquisition, prosecution, maintenance and enforcement efforts.
Licensing, Talent and Author Representation
- Representation of a publicly held media company in connection with trademark licensing and endorsement arrangements with manufacturers of branded merchandise.
- Representation of fashion models in connection with product development, licensing, and endorsement arrangements with publicly-held national retail store operators, in connection with joint ventures to finance, develop and operate branded e-commerce platforms, and in connection with book publishing agreements.
- Representation of professional golfers in connection with endorsement arrangements with multinational manufacturers of branded merchandise.
- Representation of celebrity chefs in connection with television, book and magazine publishing, endorsement, appearance, e-commerce and brand development matters.
- Representation of numerous clients in connection with the acquisition of license rights to produce, market, and sell products branded with trademarks of leading international fashion designers.
- Listed in The Legal 500 in Mergers, Acquisitions and Buyouts, 2010, 2011 and 2014
- Georgia Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Athens Film Arts Institute, member of Board of Directors
- The Willson Center for Humanities & Arts, University of Georgia, member of Board of Friends