Illustrative examples of Michael’s experience include:
- Representation of sellers in connection with the multimillion-dollar sale of intellectual property licensing company.
- Representation of multi-jurisdictional recreation authority as co-disclosure counsel in connection with the issuance of taxable revenue refunding and improvement bonds for a downtown sports arena.
- Representation of development authority as co-disclosure counsel in connection with the issuance of bonds to provide assistance to the homeless.
- Representation of technology company as recipient of private equity investment in Series A preferred stock and warrants, and providing ongoing representation of operating company.
- Representation of major municipality as co-disclosure counsel in connection with the issuance of tax allocation refunding bonds for downtown residential, retail and entertainment district.
- Representation of local municipality in connection with responding to SEC subpoena.
- Representation of underwriters in connection with approximately $750 million bond offering for major airport.
- Representation of Placement Agent in commercial paper program for major airport.
- Advising a technology company on a multimillion-dollar investment by a $15 billion hedge fund and providing ongoing representation of the new operating company.
- Counseling a U.S. holding company in connection with a multimillion-dollar investment in a Honduran manufacturing concern.
- Representation of federal agency in multimillion-dollar settlement with directors of failed bank.
- Representing a financial services company, as well as its life insurance, broker-dealer and investment advisory subsidiaries, in corporate, regulatory and litigation matters.
- Representation of broker-dealer in connection with FINRA examination.
- Representing the Atlanta Botanical Garden in connection with litigation to stop the construction of a new parking deck.
- Counseling the city of Atlanta in connection with the development and financing of Atlantic Station.
- Representing Central Atlanta Progress in connection with the creation of the Atlanta Downtown Improvement District (Downtown Ambassador Force).
- Advising a pharmacy benefits management company in connection with third-party biller reimbursement issues.
- Representing Turner Broadcasting System and the Atlanta Hawks in connection with the development and financing of Phillips Arena.
- Litigation (including oral arguments) before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in the Georgia Supreme Court, and numerous courts across the country.
- “Paycheck Protection Program: Borrowers Must Plan Now to Maximize Loan Forgiveness,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, April 2020
- “CARES Act: Paycheck Protection Program – Forgivable Loans for Small Businesses,” Thompson Hine COVID-19 Update, March 2020
- “Directors: Do Your Homework, Even if You Get it Wrong,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2014
- “A Review of the Business Judgment Rule,” NBA Magazine, 1990
- “Regulatory Evolution of Limited Offerings in Georgia,” Georgia State Bar Journal, 1984
- Limited Liability Companies – Governance Issues and Recent Developments, National Bar Association Convention, 2012
- Inducted into the Gate City Bar Association Hall of Fame, 2018
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in the 2018 List of Georgia’s Most Influential Politically-Connected Attorneys by James Magazine, 2018
- Listed in Legal 500 in Merger and Acquisitions, 2014
- Selected for inclusion in Georgia’s Top Rated Lawyers (2012, 2013, 2014)
- Selected as one of Georgia’s most powerful and influential attorneys by Women Looking Ahead Magazine (2017)
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Gate City Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Research Atlanta, board member (1997-2000)
- Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games, Inc., board of directors (1994-1999)
- Metropolitan YMCA, board member (1996-1998)
- University of Georgia Foundation, trustee (1995-1998)
- Vanderbilt Law School Alumni Board (1993-1996)
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Evansville, B.S.
- Paycheck Protection Program: Borrowers Must Plan Now to Maximize Loan Forgiveness,
Business Litigation Update, April 24, 2020
- CARES Act: Paycheck Protection Program – Forgivable Loans for Small Businesses,
COVID-19 Update, March 27, 2020